This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

BILs old Chevy 70

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: BILs old Chevy 70
    Posted: 15 Sep 2020 at 2:16pm
Got brakes back on it, line on front crossmember had rotted at a frame clamp.  R&R and bend coil tube to fit, double flare one end and back in business.  Stepped out Friday got a PS Pump cartridge and ordered seal kit for steer box input, put pump on this morning(been a BUSY weekend) returned the core, picked up the input seals and a length of return line hose to finish this.

Should be down to Gas feed lines electric pump and welding in bed floor tomorrow afternoon.
Sponsored Links

tadams(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tadams(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2020 at 2:22pm
Your moving right alone with that project. You will have the shop cleared out ready for the next one.
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2020 at 3:09pm
Trying anyway!!

Square tube in floor is for another shelf set in basement to compliment the bar build, these for a Entertainment shelf and small wall curio.  That will be next up with removal of the cab steps on my rusting away Ford.  Also have dirt at the garden plot to dig out(Full of rocks and refill with field dirt(NO Rocks) once dump truck usable.  Then Fat Allis has to go dig out manure at the feed lot to separate the rock from the manure to spread it out.

Edited by DMiller - 15 Sep 2020 at 3:12pm
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2020 at 6:14am
Photo with tubing

Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2020 at 12:01pm
dang my 70 series has air brakes and 16" s cam , the other one i bought for parts were 15" air brakes . 
Son used the front axle from that parts truck for drop axle on a Quad axle conversion from tri axle , then one brake went bad - parts to fix it are made from unobtainium - no one carries parts of the old GM 12,000 axle any more nor do junk yards keep them 

Edited by Coke-in-MN - 16 Sep 2020 at 12:04pm
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2020 at 2:42pm
Juice brakes with any age are No Bueno, instant source for leaks and losses.

Got the P/S fixed up as of today so far NO Leaks, dragged gas tank out on mounts and swapped to a used standpipe I had in a box, mechanical pump was OK so all back to normal and does run.  Moved on to the bed floor or lack thereof, got the full size sheet I had cut to length and sewed down, got some of the side filler panels cut have three more to hack out then will sew them on TOMORROW.

Are next to NO air brake 70s around here that are not tandem and most of those sitting it out on farms dead to the world.

Edited by DMiller - 16 Sep 2020 at 5:39pm
john(MI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john(MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2020 at 8:31pm
I'm curious,  How do you pick rocks out of manure, or should I say, how do you find them?
D14, D17, 5020, 612H, CASE 446
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2020 at 5:29am
Is called a Grizzly Screen

NomoreJohnDeere View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NomoreJohnDeere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2020 at 1:51pm
Have you considered screening the rocks out of what they eat?  As a pre emp tive measure....
HD3
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2020 at 2:02pm
LARGE Rocks are in the feed lot, old buried building foundations that during wet then freeze thrust UP and into the manure, hard to spread when loaded with rocks the size of Boot Boxes and small Pets, tends to break things.  No need to screen their feed as they do NOT eat rocks just poop on them.
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2020 at 2:13pm
Got the bed 'Holes' closed up, skinned over, hauled three loads until got hung on wet grass and could not move the dump truck.  Hike back to Allis, trek to truck, pull out then leap frog the two until back up to house.  Did get a stockpile of cull dirt from where garden will sit(Full of rock from tennis ball to platter size), once cleared of rubble from excavation fill then will recover clean fill from the fields and refill the garden Hole.

Feedlot before my barn build.

Edited by DMiller - 17 Sep 2020 at 2:19pm
Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2020 at 8:34am
Had a old ford Tandem that floor was real beat up from rock hauling but no holes in it , laid out a layer of sand on floor then laid plate on top and welded it down - gave me a smooth floor so material would slide out rather than stick on dents.
On my 14' box on my White Tandem dump I had access to a 4' brake and made plates for sides to floor angles , then welded down floor plates .
 The Tandem GMC 70 was a old Dept of Natural Resources truck and they laid a heavy plate on box floor so it stayed in good shape no matter what drops on it . 
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2020 at 10:05am
This bed is pretty well had, old truck is leaving for Oklahoma in next few weeks so only has to haul a few loads here before goes away forever from me!!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic