This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Mounting new tires

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD6GTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mounting new tires
    Posted: 10 Jul 2020 at 12:39am
I put a pair of P215/75X15 Uniroyal tires on the grandsons Dakota rims tonight. They were some of the toughest tires to mount that I have done in years. Thick sidewalls, heavy tread. I gotta calibrate the spin balancer tomorrow and give them a good balancing. 1st time I will be using it since I bought it. I had to take the inch drive air gun to remove the left rear tire. It had those nasty chrome covered lug nuts on it. Got's solid chrome ones to go back on it. Outta make him a good little pickup.
Sponsored Links

DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2020 at 6:04pm
I gotta guy at a local gas station who mounts tires fer me, $5/rim.  Ain't no way I'm gonna fight 'em on with a hand changer, in this heat!Wink
Source: Babylon Bee. Sponsored by BRAWNDO, its got what you need!
FREEDGUY View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2020 at 6:55pm
Originally posted by HD6GTOM HD6GTOM wrote:

I put a pair of P215/75X15 Uniroyal tires on the grandsons Dakota rims tonight. They were some of the toughest tires to mount that I have done in years. Thick sidewalls, heavy tread. I gotta calibrate the spin balancer tomorrow and give them a good balancing. 1st time I will be using it since I bought it. I had to take the inch drive air gun to remove the left rear tire. It had those nasty chrome covered lug nuts on it. Got's solid chrome ones to go back on it. Outta make him a good little pickup.
I'm not too keen on the tire jargon you spoke of,but what's the LOAD RANGE of these "toy truck" tires ??? Took my tire guy awhile to mount "E's" on my FORD rims WinkWink.
HD6GTOM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD6GTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2020 at 11:39pm
They were standard load tires. Heck I think the sidewalks were thicker than most 6 plus.
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2020 at 6:01am
hmm... tires are new, installer is old....Wink
EVERYTHING is harder these dayze.......

One trick to balancing, NO weight should be more than an inch long. If you need longer(heavier) ones, break bead, turn tire say 90*, remount and balance.

3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2020 at 11:22pm

Hey Tom,,since you was a tire shop guy in your younger years,,,what did ya'll use for the "slick-em" they use to help get the tire onto and off the wheel,,?  I had one guy tell me they use regular Dawn dish soap mixed up 75/25 with the dawn at 75%. What you use,,??
HD6GTOM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD6GTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2020 at 6:45am
Joe,. Never use dish soap. It isn't slick enough. Speaking from experience. We used Bowes Big Blue tire lube at the shop. I now use NAPA Ruglide. I can pick it up locally. We try'd dish soap and immediately noticed it wasn't nearly as slick as regular tire lube. TL semi tires would not center themselves on the rims using dish soap. Plus when the dam stuff dries it sticks the tires to the rims. If I could get the Bowes locally that would be my preference. It is actually slicker than the NAPA.
SteveM C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2020 at 9:54am
Veggie oil works good on semi tires
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2020 at 5:50pm
Murphy's oil soap has always been the standard, but tire lube is better...Wink
Source: Babylon Bee. Sponsored by BRAWNDO, its got what you need!
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2020 at 8:30pm
Use Ruglide myself when working my tractor tires, too far to haul to shop and Only ONE tractor to use to dismount and mount fluid filled rears so do them myself for now.
LeonR2013 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LeonR2013 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2020 at 8:32pm
Oh, my acheing back.      Leon
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2020 at 11:10pm

Went to napa this mornin and they happened to have one gallon of the ru-glide, so I cobbed on to it,,that sales girl told me they had had that jug for "some time",,,,,,Clap
 I'm gonna wait for cooler weather to mess with them ta'ars tho,,,,,LOL
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2020 at 7:11am

Well,,late afternoon yesterday it clouded up nice and the temp dropped down to the hi 90's ,,,,so I thought bout them ATV ta'ars and the RuGlide and I just could not help myself,,,,I jerked em off the ATV and you just cannot believe how easy the stuff made them ta'ars almost fall off the rims,,!!  That right there is some impressive chit,,!!  No more dish soap for this guy,,,!!!  Fact is,,,,think I'll look around and see if any more ta'ars need breakin down,,,,,,WinkWink
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2020 at 8:05am

Well,,we had another "nice" day yesterday.  Cloudy pretty much all day, temps in the mid 80's,,So I grab the jug of RuGlide and the two ATV tires and after cleaning them on the inside,,I "Ruglided" them real good and chit,,I almost lost my balance twice cause them ta'ars just almost fell onto the rims soons I put the tool to em,,,!!  I am so impressed with this stuff,,,,and to think  ,,all them years of fighting them dang ta'ars with dish soap, and oil, and even some grease a time or two,,,,,I'm a believer,,,!!!ClapClap Many thank you's Tom,,,, Clap
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic