This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What A Morning

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unit3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What A Morning
    Posted: 09 Jul 2020 at 12:44pm
Weather map looked as if the rains would miss us again. My daughter said it will rain here before noon. Yeah right. Well, it did. We had the prettiest stand of sweetcorn ever. I had the coop double pass the NH3 on that spot(130 units x 2). We just put the electric fence around it. My wife and daughter were back in the house and I was out in the shop. It started raining a little, then I heard a electrical sizzling behind me. I turned around and even saw it on the side of the building at the roof line,,,,,,, then KKBooom,,,,,, lightening hit out front on the highway. A hole was blown out of the road deck just as a man driving by. He had his radio antenna melted off of the car and his horn would not stop. He was shaken up, but he was fine.
2-8070FWA PS/8050PS/7080/7045PS/200/D15-II/2-WD45/WD/3-WC/UC/C
Sponsored Links

Unit3 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unit3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2020 at 12:46pm
Oh yeah, the sweetcorn is all laying flat now.
2-8070FWA PS/8050PS/7080/7045PS/200/D15-II/2-WD45/WD/3-WC/UC/C
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2020 at 1:27pm
Thad, you weren't driving by Unit's house, were ya???

Corn laying flat, ya, too much N!
IBWD MIke View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IBWD MIke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2020 at 8:44am
Good story, lightning is nothing to play with.

I wish I could find sweetcorn that grows and tastes like the ambrosia I plant but has the stalk strength of field corn. My patch is up on a plateau and the wind knocks it flat every year!
Pat the Plumber CIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pat the Plumber CIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2020 at 12:35pm
Mother nature can be a Beeeeaaatch !!!!
You only need to know 3 things to be a plumber;Crap rolls down hill,Hot is on the left and Don't bite your fingernails

1964 D-17 SIV 3 Pt.WF,1964 D-15 Ser II 3pt.WF ,1960 D-17 SI NF,1956 WD 45 WF.
HD6GTOM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD6GTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2020 at 11:15pm
It was a beautiful morning here. Up at 6:00 am, finish packing the van and off to farmers mkt. Set up under a big old shade tree, had a nice breeze all morning. Had a motorcycle group show up and their gals bought home made soap, lots of it. Old gal was happy. Getting ready for Monday night.   Hoping it's 1/2 as good. Finished hoeing the sweet corn patch this afternoon. Bought a couple of dozen ears at the mkt this AM. Darn good stuff. Grandsons all have braces on their teeth. Sorta hard for them to naw it off the cob.

Edited by HD6GTOM - 11 Jul 2020 at 11:18pm
Thad in AR. View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2020 at 7:14am
Originally posted by Tbone95 Tbone95 wrote:

I actually got quite nervous while reading this.
I’ve found that I have a fear of thunder now. Can’t shake it.
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2020 at 7:32am
Originally posted by Thad in AR. Thad in AR. wrote:

Originally posted by Tbone95 Tbone95 wrote:

I actually got quite nervous while reading this.
I’ve found that I have a fear of thunder now. Can’t shake it.

I bet! But just think, if you hear the thunder, the lightning has already struck and you're good!

Not making light of it. You lived through a close call with a dangerous thing. I think it's normal to be a bit spooked for a while.
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2020 at 8:32am

Hey Thad,,,now,,I ain't pokin nuttin,,you understand,,,but I've always heard that your hair stands up on end ,,right before you get hit by lightening or it very close by,,,,UMmmm,,did you "feel" anything before,,,??  I always told myself,,I would hit the ground pretty dang quick if I was ever that close to a storm, and couldn't find shelter soon enough,,,,? I now doubt one could act quick enough to avoid a strike,,,,,,
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2020 at 12:15pm
Hair was soaking wet. Water was pouring off the roof. I doubt it stood on end. It all happened quick. My main concern was getting those screws in before a wind gust and protecting my Dewalt impact driver.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2020 at 12:16pm
We have LED lights in 2 extra bedrooms. They continually flicker now.
chaskaduo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chaskaduo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2020 at 3:08pm
Good thing your not a low wattage guy. Wink
1938 B, 79 Dynamark 11/36 6spd, 95 Weed-Eater 16hp, 2010 Bolens 14hp
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2020 at 11:05pm

I gots lots of respect for juice-trciity,,,from 115 all the way to 953,231 volts from a lightning strike,,,!!
 Years ago,,there was a huge lightening strike on a big tree behind the grade school I used to go to, Next day we went to look and there was a gash bout 4" wide that ran from the top of the tree,, down to the ground,,,,went underground and had gone under the paved street and came up INSIDE a house across the street and burned all their outlets and caught some of the wiring on fire!! Bout 5 years or so ago,,we were talkin bout that strike and I went to go look and you can still see the gash on the tree now only bout 2" wide,,,amazing it didn't tear the tree down,,,,,
Alberta Phil View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alberta Phil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2020 at 10:18am
Glad you survived that and are OK!!
Interesting you mentioned that about the LED lights, Thad.  Had a lightning strike here a couple of weeks ago that fried the big LED light in the kitchen and took out my laser printer.  I've noticed the LED light in the bathroom flickerin' lately and just thought it was me old eyes, but maybe not!  I'll try changing the bulbs an see if that fixes it.  Only things that got damaged was those that was turned on.
Had a lightning strike here a few years ago that blew fire out of some of the electrical outlets in the house and welded the plugs into the outlet by the kitchen counter. That was fun to take apart and replace!!  Same strike blew out my power bar for my computer and set the lino on fire under it.
  Maybe I should take the lightning rods off the top of the old grain elevator and put 'em on the house!
tadams(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tadams(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2020 at 12:40pm
As a kid we had lighting rods on house and barn. You don't see any lighting rods on anything any more.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic