This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Import/Off-brand rear tires

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GreenOrange Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Import/Off-brand rear tires
    Posted: 08 Jul 2020 at 3:15pm
Curious if any of you have tried and what you think of some of the off-brand tires such as BKT, Harvest King, Advance, Crop Max, Galaxy, etc.?  I've heard Carlisle is now in this group too.  It seems the familiar Firestone, Goodyear, Titan, Michelin tires are becoming limited in some of the sizes for old tractors.  If they are made, the tread pattern is very modern in design.  

Looking for thoughts on which are better/worse than others or if the familiar brands are worth the out-of-place tread pattern? 

Thanks!

Edited by GreenOrange - 08 Jul 2020 at 3:18pm
Sponsored Links

garden_guy View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote garden_guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2020 at 4:39pm
I feel like I got some Harvest King or Carlilse tires that I put on a disk and for my front tractor tire on the old WD. Pretty good other than the locust thorn I ran into one, but the tube got patched and its still going.
Luke114 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luke114 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2020 at 4:40pm
I ordered a pair of Galaxy rears.  They were cheap enough I was really worried there would be some kind of hitch to the deal.  Half expected only one tire would arrive.  Pleasantly surprised with very good quality tires.
ac45dave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac45dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2020 at 5:43pm
    This is the alliance  324 6ply 16.9/28 on my d17 sIII.The previous owner put them on 12 years ago and they're holding up great.See them priced anywhere from $400-500.                                                                                                                                 
54 wd-45gas ; 56 wd-45d N/F w/fact p/s ; 63 d-17 sIII N/F gas ; 60 D14 N/F ; 67 d-17 sIV N/F gas ; 63D15 sII W/F; 39rc#667 ; 2021 massey 4710 fwa ; gravely 2 wheel tractors
garden_guy View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote garden_guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2020 at 6:14pm
I need to look up which tires are which, but here's the front one on the WD:

And here's from the disc (regular wide implement style tire):

And one from the drill (pretty sure it's a tractor front style tire):

HD6GTOM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD6GTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2020 at 6:26pm
I sold a lot of Harvest King, Alliance, BKT's, Carlisle for chore tractors. Make sure you put them on at least 6 months before you need to use them in the field. They are a soft rubber compound when new. They need time to harden up. Speaking from experience. After they get hard they are ok. Most have the 45° tread made for the European peat type soil. We found a lot of chore tractors were in the mud quite often. Thought they worked better than the 23°'s made for American type soils.

Edited by HD6GTOM - 08 Jul 2020 at 9:36pm
PaulB View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2020 at 8:05pm
Someone is making a tire using the old style long bar long bar 23 degree Firestone molds and from what I see, I'd buy them before anything else. I've seen many of them that are 10 years old or so and not showing any age cracks yet. I've seen some other brands that show their age after only a couple of years. 

Edit: I just got the tractor out of the back of the shed that has the tires I'm talking about. They are "Harvest King" brand.  I would buy them for the next tractor that need rear tires before many others out there. 

Edited by PaulB - 09 Jul 2020 at 7:50pm
If it was fun to pull in LOW gear, I could have a John Deere.
If you can't make it GO... make it SHINY
Dakota Dave View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dakota Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2020 at 8:55pm
I've had BKT tires on one of my WD45s for 10 years. Since they are 10 ply tires they are a little stiff. My tractors all park inside so the tires on all of them look like new. The BKTs have R 1 tread pattern and look good. They are a few inches Taller than the Goodyears that came off. I ordered them from a local tire shop. They recommended them as a good tire that they haven't had Any problems with.
AC720Man View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC720Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2020 at 9:09pm
I’ve got BKT tires on my XT and they are holding up well. Obviously not as good as Goodyear radials but they were on it when I bought it 5 years ago.
1968 B-208, 1976 720 (2 of them)Danco brush hog, single bottom plow,52" snow thrower, belly mower,rear tine tiller, rear blade, front blade, 57"sickle bar,1983 917 hydro, 1968 7hp sno-bee, 1968 190XTD
GreenOrange View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GreenOrange Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2020 at 6:54am
Thanks for sharing guys.  It sounds like they're not really anything to avoid.  My tractors are pretty light use, and do a good amount of sitting (maybe I have too many???)  so I wanted to be sure they won't just crack to pieces.  I appreciate the insight!
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2020 at 7:03am
Put a set of what I presume are chinese on my own disc, wear really well not showing much weathering but were more plastic than rubbery when arrived, hard to stretch onto rims but work and do not lose air.

Dusty MI View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dusty MI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2020 at 7:40am
I parked next to a tractor at The Bridge Crossing, it had new imported rear tires, the lugs were shorter than the lugs on my tractor that were a few years old.

Dusty
917 H, '48 G, '65 D-10 series III "Allis Express"
Amos View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Amos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2020 at 8:03am
For a tractor you are not using for pulling in field work conditions I think they are fine.  I have a set of BKT on my 6060, wore out the original good year, put on a set of stomil, they were cheap and lasted for about 15 years then the sidewalls all split out inside, so put on the BKT and am happy with them last 6 or 7 years.   would not put them on my tractor pulling my planter or working ground  I put Michellins on my 305 when I bought it and after watching them work I was convinced they are the only tire for pulling in field conditions, and yes I know they are expensive, but I don't see where my 8030 drove in my crops after putting on the michellins any more...old bias plies I could see where ever rear tire went
JC-WI View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JC-WI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2020 at 8:04am
Difference between old 18.4x34 Goodyear? and anew 18.4 x34 BKT. Significantly smaller in width
He who says there is no evil has already deceived himself
The truth is the truth, sugar coated or not. Trawler II says, "Remember that."
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2020 at 10:34am
That's an interesting comparison JC, good to know.

I've got matching ( ) BKT's on my combine, probably 6 or 8 years now, seem to do just fine.
daveingreenbay View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote daveingreenbay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2020 at 1:16pm
Here is another option, it`s a guy out of Chanhassen Mn.  Friedrich Tire and Rim, Met him at Edgar Steam and Gas in central Wis.  Claims his tires are made in the USA, and based off of original molds.  Phone # 952-237-2207.  Fax 952 470-5700.  Email address toddfriedrich@gmail.com.  I was impressed with his display tires
victoryallis View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote victoryallis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2020 at 3:44pm
Buddy says he has good luck with BKT.  My experience is you get exactly what you pay for in tires.  4-5 years ago I put Alliance on a tractor they cracked so bad I took them off and put Firestone on.  
8030 and 8050MFWD, 7580, 3 6080's, 160, 7060, 175, heirloom D17, Deere 8760
HudCo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HudCo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2020 at 4:18pm
i have galixy on the back of my wd45 about 5 years old and i just noticed onthe tread already ,       and i have a customers jd 4020 just left the shop his has bkts his were put on about the same time they are cracked realy bad tread and side walls .    now i just bought two carlise tri ribs for the wd45 and two new carlisle 7x14 for the back of my 101  so we will see how they last my tire guy says they have brought the quality back on the carlisles     hard to beat the firestone  field and road
matador View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote matador Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2020 at 6:57pm
We had one BKT put on the back of our White 2-105, and the next year put a USED Kelly-Springfield on the other side. We used that tractor for a couple years for everything before we bought our 7040. The BKT is worn down to 1/3 life left, and the Kelly-Springfield looks almost as good as it did when we mounted it. For light "around the yard" usage, you should be fine. If you're working your tractor hard though, I just wasn't impressed with the BKT. I know the neighbor has a few of the BKT's on various tractors, and I've noticed the same thing. The tires seem to hold together well, but they do wear down quicker
NomoreJohnDeere View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NomoreJohnDeere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2020 at 7:00pm
Galaxy's are ok.  The bar tread is too far apart causing contact with the ground between bars when the bars are half or less wore down.

I had a BKT slit the sidewall from the bead to the tread between all the bars around the tire.  They wouldn't adjust price or help out so I won't go there again.

HD3
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic