This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

B Brake return spring - my B project

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jlbintn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: B Brake return spring - my B project
    Posted: 04 Jul 2020 at 10:35am
Got the bolts off yesterday, heated them up and they came off nicely. On the left brake, the bolt forward was broken off. After heating it up and burning the excess slop paint it became obvious that bolt had been cross-threaded. Tried to get it out, but it wasn't coming so I ended up tapping into the bolt.

Anyway, the right brake return spring wasn't there. The left spring was, and was functional until we had to pull the assembly part to get to that front bolt. It broke, specifically the closed loop end of the spring. Not sure what happened to the right side spring, it wasn't there when I got the tractor.

What does the closed-loop of that spring attach to? It's not easy to see in there. My first thought was the adjuster bolt but that is too short.

Edited by jlbintn - 27 Jul 2020 at 12:40pm
Sponsored Links

PaulB View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote PaulB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2020 at 10:54am
The closed loop that is bent 90 degrees from the coils goes over the top of the adjuster bolt. The hook that is bent out from the coils goes out the hole in the front of the axle casting. A loop of heavy wire, pulled with vise grips is the easiest way I've found to pull them into place. 
If it was fun to pull in LOW gear, I could have a John Deere.
If you can't make it GO... make it SHINY
jlbintn View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jlbintn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2020 at 1:59am
Thank you. Disassembled the right side brakes today and that became obvious.

I'll post pictures tomorrow. It was a big damn mess in there. The joke of the day was giving the brakes an enema. Crud, crud, crud. We used kerosene to clean it out. Plop plop fizz fizz oh what a relief it is.....

The left side hasn't been touched yet, we're going to leave it intact so we have an assembled model to follow.

The pads were down to the rivets. It's been a long time since any attention was paid to the brakes.  It was a joy to pull them out. Did I mention years worth of built up crud?

The drum looks good, no noticeable or felt gouging/pitting.

edit to add:

The left side return spring was functioning until the tinkering to get the sheared bolt out started in earnest. It broke a long time ago, so no idea why it wasn't flopping around prior to yesterday. There was no indication whatsoever that the looped end of that spring was in that opening. The break was dirty as well. Whenever it broke, it was a long time ago. The collective consensus: what the hell was holding tension on that spring before we started tearing things down.

Edited by jlbintn - 05 Jul 2020 at 2:19am
jlbintn View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jlbintn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2020 at 10:36am
Some pictures of the adventure and the aftermath. That pile of crud (without the acorn) is an example of what came out of the bottom of the casing.

jlbintn View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jlbintn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2020 at 10:42am
and finally, the brakes, or what was left of them.

jlbintn View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jlbintn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2020 at 10:26pm
Put about another hour into cleaning the right side brake area earlier this evening. I think I got about 90% of the junk that was in there, out.

Parts are on the way, can't wait to get it back together, then on to the left side. Big smile

chaskaduo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chaskaduo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2020 at 7:56am
Slow but sure, Haste makes waste, Never enough time to do it right but always time to do it over. Thumbs Up
1938 B, 79 Dynamark 11/36 6spd, 95 Weed-Eater 16hp, 2010 Bolens 14hp
jlbintn View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jlbintn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2020 at 11:21pm
Got the right side brakes done. That brake return spring is a pain in the ass. Left side next.
Sugarmaker View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2020 at 7:03am
jibintn,
Good documentation and pictures. I have never been into a B. These WD series have kept me busy. 
These were made well and lasted many years. They sure were not designed for easy quick brake changes. Yes some of this stuff is a pain in the butt!:)
Your doing good!
Regards,
 Chris
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
jlbintn View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jlbintn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2020 at 10:21pm
Thanks, Chris. Left side pulled out today and cleaned. It wasn't nearly as cruddy as the right side. Also got the hitch draw bar off. One of the big bolts broke easy, the other, even after heating with MAPS gas, the nut wouldn't break. I ended up cutting it off. The picture of the left side brake area, notice that stub where a bolt should be, on the front left side. That damn thing doesn't want to come out. My neighbor is going to bring his oxi-acetylene setup over in a day or two and we're going to try to tackle it one more time.

I'm still waiting on a few brake parts. Hope to have it done sometime early this coming week. Then on to the hydraulics. This is a bit off topic, and I already knew it, but I think I have a water pump leak. It's a drip drip type of leak. It's probably just the gasket, but I may end up replacing the pump when I eventually get to it, probably late fall/early winter. I also plan to pull the oil pan sometime in the next month or two, and replace the gasket. I want to get a look in there. I have no idea how long it's been since the oil has been changed. I think I'm going to go with 15W40 Diesel oil, but haven't decided yet. This summer is going to be my baseline for a lot of things.

Edited by jlbintn - 11 Jul 2020 at 10:43pm
jlbintn View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jlbintn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2020 at 10:46pm
If you look at the picture of the right side brake assembly, on the fender bracket at the very far right, you'll see shiny iron. For some reason unknown, somebody welded the seat to that area. It had a big chunk of weld that I had to cut and file down. There was nothing wrong with the seat.

I wish this tractor could talk. The stories of it's life would be great to hear Big smile
chaskaduo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote chaskaduo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2020 at 7:13am
Lookin good John. Slowly but Shirley gets the job done. Not up on diesel oil, but I know Zinc dialkyldithiophosphate (ZDDP) is a common zinc-based additive and is used primarily as an anti-wear agent to prevent premature engine wear. It also provides corrosion and oxidation protection. Newer motor oils have very little if any anymore.

1938 B, 79 Dynamark 11/36 6spd, 95 Weed-Eater 16hp, 2010 Bolens 14hp
jlbintn View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jlbintn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2020 at 10:15pm
The only fundamental difference between Diesel oil and other oils is the soot control additives, to the best of my knowledge at any rate. I have a 99 Dodge with the Cummins in it, so I have 15W40 on hand, which makes it convenient. Before any new oil goes in the tractor, I want to get that oil pan off and see what it looks like in there.

Right after I got the tractor last November, I put a new oil filter on and installed a new stand pipe. I fired up the tractor with the filter off, before I took out the old stand pipe. The oil flow looked "clogged".... would be the best way I could describe what I saw.

The flow with the new stand pipe installed looked better, more even, if that makes any sense.

Anyway, that's a long-winded way to say I haven't decided what I'm going to do until I get the pan off and have a look around LOL

Edited by jlbintn - 12 Jul 2020 at 10:23pm
jlbintn View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jlbintn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2020 at 12:38pm
Finally got the left brakes installed, and the tractor back together. It ended up taking longer than expected due to issues with getting parts. Damn this virus crap to hell.

Anyway, got the pad installed, and the tractor put back together (with new bolts washers and nuts) got the brakes adjusted and did some doughnuts in the field LOL

While I was waiting for delivery of the left side brake parts, I dropped the oil pan to install a new gasket. I had to practically beat the old pan plug off (never worked so hard to get a drain pan plug off).  Pertaining to the pan gasket, there was no gasket on the tractor that I could discover Ouch

Slid my fingers around the oil pan, and there was no sludge, which would indicate to me that the tractor has been using detergent oils for some time.

Also got the oil changed out. Finally!!! I went with Rotella 15W-40 Diesel oil. Now, on to getting the transmission free of moisture. I suspect that the moisture is due to the old shifter boot being cracked. I have a sneaky suspicion that this tractor sat for sale in an open front yard for a long long time. The oil is still a milky color, but it has more of an oily feel to it than what came out of it when I did my first drain.

It's nice to have brakes

Edited by jlbintn - 27 Jul 2020 at 12:38pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic