This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Stranger in a strange land

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Creek Jenkins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Stranger in a strange land
    Posted: 14 Jun 2020 at 8:06pm
Having some health issues. Sold our sheep and last week sold the farm. Moving into town, have lived without neighbors for nearly 40 years. Going to be different. Sold my Allis stuff- rake, rotobaler, plow, disc. D17 sold today, G still for sale. Going to keep my C at a friends cabin so I can mow some trails at his place. . Keeping my bobcat and snowblower as new place has 225 foot driveway.

Going to be different.

Keep yer stick on the ice.

Cheers
Creek
Have spacesuit, will travel
Sponsored Links

LeonR2013 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LeonR2013 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2020 at 8:32pm
Dang, this getting old, along with the health issues is a bummer. But keep the mind working and that will help a lot. You can always outsmart these young whippersnappers. Leon
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2020 at 3:42am
i'm sorry you are having to go through all that. i wish you well on your big move. i've often thought about if/when we'll prolly hafta do the same thing. i'm pretty sure the city is NOT ready for me yet. and i'm also pretty sure i'd hafta take my 180 and 7010 with me there! 
truckerfarmer View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote truckerfarmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2020 at 6:46am
Sorry to here about this.
To make the transition easier, start practicing this line, "HEY, YOU D@MN KIDS! GET OFF MY LAWN!".
Hopefully you have decent neighbors. That can make all the difference in the world.
Looking at the past to see the future.
'53 WD, '53 WD45, WD snap coupler field cultivator, #53 plow,'53 HD5B dozer

Duct tape.... Can't fix stupidity. But will muffle the sound of it!
Pat the Plumber CIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pat the Plumber CIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2020 at 7:05am
Sorry to heat this Creek , hope your health improves . Hope you can make it to Hutch next year .
You only need to know 3 things to be a plumber;Crap rolls down hill,Hot is on the left and Don't bite your fingernails

1964 D-17 SIV 3 Pt.WF,1964 D-15 Ser II 3pt.WF ,1960 D-17 SI NF,1956 WD 45 WF.
ford8nwd View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ford8nwd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2020 at 7:20am
I reached that point 5 years ago, but I must admit things are a lot handier, Walmart, Menards, Home Depot. Sad thing is, there is very little i need anymore.....A new body would help, though, this one's about worn out.
Creek Jenkins View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Creek Jenkins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2020 at 8:01am
I'm not sure the city is ready for me either, but I think we will have pretty good neighbors, we are buying a house on a small lake on the edge of town so no "starter" houses. House is bigger than the one we have now and made of brick, so no more staining the wood siding every other year. I'm trading in my 30 x 56 shop for a 24 x 36 Morton building so will still have room for the Ranger and Bobcat plus a work bench. Keeping the snowblower for the Bobcat so mebbe in a couple years (22 1/2 months) when I retire I will go into the snow removal business just for fun.
There is an up side to the health issue, it looks like I won't have to do anymore overseas travel, I have spent 60-70 days a year overseas for the last 20+ years, so I won't miss that. Not sure if the wife is ready for me to be home all the time though, but the new house should keep her busy for a while.
cheers,
Creek
Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2020 at 2:11pm
Here's wishing you the best Creek!!  Sorry on the health issues.  We all get older and wiser and it helps to have a good attitude.  Where abouts did you move to?  Still in Northern MN?

"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17
tadams(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tadams(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2020 at 3:01pm
Sorry to hear you had to move but it sounds like a nice place that you bought. I have thought about how many more years I can keep up with everything where we live now, but time will tell.
Take care Creek and be careful.
Hubert (Ga)engine7 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hubert (Ga)engine7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2020 at 5:39pm
Sorry to hear about this. Creek. Hopefully you will have some good neighbors and plenty of things to keep you busy. I don't know if I could stand moving to town but you do what you gotta do.
Just an old country boy saved by the grace of God.
Sugarmaker View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2020 at 7:59pm
Creek,
Exciting getting a new place. I wish the best for you and your wife. lake sounds nice too. 
Regards,
 Chris
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
TimNearFortWorth View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TimNearFortWorth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2020 at 8:38pm
Don't worry as setting up a new shop is always fun and will give you something to do.
And don't even think that because the new shop is smaller, that you won't fill it up!
JohnColo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnColo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2020 at 11:51pm
Sounds like a good deal for you, not having to travel for business.  Sounds like a nice place you are moving into with the lake and shop.  You can use the Bobcat and blower to make a path out on the ice for fishing.  Of course, you will have to build a "shack" for that.  Since the house is bigger, I'm sure you and the loving wife will be able to avoid each other easily!
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Creek Jenkins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2020 at 1:36pm
John we already have a portable ice shelter (Otter Lodge) and I have chains for my Polaris Ranger so I think we will be okay. Once we get settled in there will be less work to do so can spend some time setting up my shop and doing more reloading and shooting. I have had 4 trips to the ER so far this year, only had 3 total last year so the pace seems to be picking up. Hopefully can get all moved in and settled soon, less stress hopefully will help. I can still go to my friends place and do some tractor therapy on the C mowing his trails in the summer. No more hauling hay and cleaning the barn, probably hardest thing I will have to do is take the garbage out. Someone told me in town they actually have people come and take your garbage from the end of your driveway and bring it to the dump for you - I'll believe it when I see it!
cheers,
Creek
Ray54 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2020 at 1:36pm
Originally posted by Creek Jenkins Creek Jenkins wrote:

John we already have a portable ice shelter (Otter Lodge) and I have chains for my Polaris Ranger so I think we will be okay. Once we get settled in there will be less work to do so can spend some time setting up my shop and doing more reloading and shooting. I have had 4 trips to the ER so far this year, only had 3 total last year so the pace seems to be picking up. Hopefully can get all moved in and settled soon, less stress hopefully will help. I can still go to my friends place and do some tractor therapy on the C mowing his trails in the summer. No more hauling hay and cleaning the barn, probably hardest thing I will have to do is take the garbage out. Someone told me in town they actually have people come and take your garbage from the end of your driveway and bring it to the dump for you - I'll believe it when I see it!
cheers,
Creek

Wink But them gorillas that wrestle  the garbage think Confused  you need to pay them.ConfusedConfusedConfused
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Creek Jenkins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2020 at 12:01pm
Update - pretty much everything moved out of the house into storage. Sold my D17 to a guy up the road, all my implements are gone except my Hesston PT10, waiting for a friend to come and get it this weekend or it goes to scrap.
No luck so far selling my G, looks like I might have to put it in storage for awhile and try to sell again next year.
We move to a friends lake place next Tuesday for 3 weeks until we get in to the new house. Private lake and trap/skeet range should give me plenty to do, I will work on some of the odd jobs he hasn't had time for(when I'm not fishing or shooting). Will also make a new wiring harness for the C as there will be a couple other people using it to mow the trails and they are not used to the push rod start. Think I can drill and tap the copper contactor on the starter and install a solenoid/key start so key can be put away to keep small fingers from getting in trouble.
4 more weeks to the final move. Hired some "movers" to remove my gun safe from my basement and put into storage. I was in a hurry and didn't ask them for an estimate as they are a friend of a friend. Bad move. Stung a little writing that check.
cheers,
Creek
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2020 at 12:05pm
Creek,
 Thanks for the update! Hope things work in your favor! 
The G will find a home.
Regards,
Chris
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
captaindana View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote captaindana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2020 at 5:36am
Creek! Change is always scared to me also! Good luck to you things will work it for ya!
Blue Skies and Tail Winds
                          Dana
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Creek Jenkins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2020 at 8:46am
Well Chris was right the G found a home after all. I gave up and moved it to our temporary home (a friends log house on a private lake) and a couple days later got a message from an interested party. He had a 2 hour drive to come and look at it, we worked out a deal and he picked it up the next day. I told him about the forum, hopefully he will join as I think he will have a lot of questions. He is raising hemp for CBD oil and wants to try cultivating with the G.
So now we can sit back and relax, maybe do some fishing. I took the mag off the C (it is staying here at the lake as a mower tractor, I donated it to my friend so I can come here and mow his trails) and brought it in to be tested. Hopefully they find something as it just doesn't have power and I have tried everything I could think of. If it tests okay I will take the carb off one more time, maybe get another carb kit, the ones with all the throttle shaft bushings etc and put that it. Probably should do a compression test as well just in case, but most of my tools are packed away in storage so might have to wait until after the move. We have two weeks left here, then we close on the new house. Here is a pic of the view this morning.

cheers,
Creek
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tadams(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2020 at 1:37pm
That's some view to wake up too.
FloydKS View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FloydKS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2020 at 2:13pm
Agreed, that is not a bad view.
Holding a grudge is like taking poison and expecting the other person to die
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2020 at 9:07pm
that's cool! looks like it's just the right sized lake for a pontoon boat too! good luck and be careful when moving, i expect more pics too! i love MN. 
wade89 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wade89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2020 at 9:47pm
That's a nice view Creek! Your only about 45 minutes west of me now, so your welcome to come play with the baler next summer. PTO rake was working like a champ today. Tedder function worked great too other than that extra wheel someone added runs on the windrow. It tows way nicer down the road than my other one though which must've been what they were thinkin. Wishing You the best out there. Wade
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2020 at 1:11am
Creek,
Good luck with your move to new place. This is a nice view too! Thanks for the update.
Regards,
 Chris
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Creek Jenkins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2020 at 11:58am

Shameless - here is a pic of the pontoon. No public landing on this lake so it's the only boat on the lake. Lots of big pike and bass, pretty good fishing.
Also here is a picture of the squirrel the dogs keep barking at but it never moves.

Wade - glad to hear the toys are earning their keep. I would like to have a visit when the baler is running, that would be nice.

On another note, as I said before, I have donated my C to the lake place we are temporarily staying at, it is just a few miles up the road from our new house. I can come out and mow the trails here and get some tractor time when needed. The C has been running poorly, have to mow in 1st gear the last year or so. This year it got even worse and now I have some time to check it out. Can't find any fuel problem, so I took the magneto off and brought it in to the local shop to check it out. He said from what I described that the mag was the problem but he would test it anyway. Just got a call from him, he said the coil was in fact weak and didn't have much spark. Whew, I'll pick it up Monday and hopefully will be mowing again soon.
My bobcat hit 1000 hours so I made an appointment at the dealer to have it serviced. Its 18 years old but I don't put that many hours/year on it, but I figured it needed the hyd oil changed and I know the main belt is loose as I can hear it squeal when hot and no more adjustment left. So they are 3 weeks out, I will bring it in later in August. Never had it leak a drop of oil ever. Now that I have a service appointment, I see one wheel is wet and there is some oil spots in the water around it from the rain today (it has to sit outside temporarily while we are here at the lake).   Was it waiting for me to bring it in for service?
cheers,
Creek
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2020 at 12:10pm
Have had so much change in my own life wish I could stay on the Hermann Farm forever but know I am but a few steps off the sale point myself.  Too old and beatup to really take care of the place more than what I can accomplish where that is beginning to cost too much physically and financially.  Machines are old too, constant chasing repairs, no longer active employ so income is what it is and has to be metered out a lot lower/slower.  My body leaves much to be desired in capacity and durability anymore with that.

Good luck on the new digs, I am currently keeping a keen eye on short notices just in case as well.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Creek Jenkins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2020 at 11:42am
Well we have been in the new house for two weeks today. So far, so good. Met the neighbors to the south and they are very nice. Still trying to shoehorn all my crap into the 24 x 36 shop, but have the Bobcat and Ranger under a roof again so that's good, just have to make room somehow for my truck and leave a little space for the saws, etc. Turned out the house had a few more problems than we planned for, we estimated about $30k for pulling up the carpet and having the original floors restored, converting the fireplaces to gas, some roof work and adding insulation. Somehow new kitchen cupboards and furniture snuck their way in so the tab is considerably higher now. I hit my 39 year anniversary here at work, was planning about another 1 1/2 years, might have to stretch that to two years.
And business is slowing down, we sell to mining equipment manufacturers and oil producers, both of which have slowed down considerably. We had layoffs last week at both our US plants plus we all have to take a pay cut, but it is still a helms of a lot better than the alternative. We have gone thru this before, hopefully the economy will recover quickly and we can get back the lost business. At least I don't have to travel - haven't been out of the US since February and I am a bit surprised that I don't miss it at all.
Hope to do some fishing off the dock this weekend.
cheers,
Creek
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tadams(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2020 at 2:06pm
It's good to hear you got moved in sounds like some work ahead to make everything right, hope the economy picks backup after the election
Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2020 at 3:53pm
Great to hear you are all settled in and things are going your way.
I love the wood work on the front porch!
"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17
allisbred View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allisbred Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2020 at 7:05pm
Creek, just wondering what company you work for? I work for Flowserve that is a pump manufacturer.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic