This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Rain GaugeDelema

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2020 at 6:58pm
I honestly can’t say I’ve ever seen a straight sided 5 gallon bucket.
Sponsored Links

FREEDGUY View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2020 at 7:09pm
Seems like drywall topping mud buckets are pretty "straight sided" ?
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2020 at 7:13pm
Not really the ones I’ve seen
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2020 at 8:10pm
A lot of old steel buckets are straight... tar / roofing , etc........... as far as i know, ALL plastic buckets are taper... probably easier to make and stack empty.
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
GARY(OH/IN) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GARY(OH/IN) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2020 at 1:05am
Those plastic buckets may stack easier but you have to have an air compressor to get them apart.
FREEDGUY View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2020 at 7:14pm
Originally posted by GARY(OH/IN) GARY(OH/IN) wrote:

Those plastic buckets may stack easier but you have to have an air compressor to get them apart.
LMAO !!!! They're even harder to get apart if rain water got down between them WinkWink
Kansas99 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kansas99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2020 at 12:49pm
Well I absolutely have never seen a straight sided 5 gal bucket, every one I ever looked at was round. Wink LOL
"LET"S GO BRANDON!!"
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2020 at 1:00pm
Most of the STEEL ones are straight.. Would be harder to make a TAPERED wall bucket.. Roofing tar / paint/ etc.

Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2020 at 8:41pm
You guys are missing the point I think.  ONE of those gauges is marked WRONG.  Even if you take into account the funnel shape, IF that one is marked correctly, it will READ correctly.  It IS all about volume as Tracy says.

Volume Calculator - Calculator.net

www.calculator.net › math
This free volume calculator can compute the volumes of common shapes, including that of a sphere, cone, cube, cylinder, capsule, cap, conical frustum, ellipsoid ...

As I said,,,,,,,,IF the markings on the reciever is correct, no matter the shape

"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2020 at 9:20pm
No, we didnt miss the point... The point was you can NOT take 6 oz of water and pour in both gauges and have them BOTH read the same value.... VOLUME has nothing to do with it.... That was the example of 1 inch of water in a coffee cup compared to 1 inch of water in a 5 gallon bucket... BOTH 1 inch.. NOT the same volume.
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2020 at 7:04am
Who knew rain gauges were indeed such a dilemma?!
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2020 at 11:09am
Originally posted by steve(ill) steve(ill) wrote:

Most of the STEEL ones are straight.. Would be harder to make a TAPERED wall bucket.. Roofing tar / paint/ etc.

Um.....so how do they nest for storage if they're straight?

And....don't really think it would be that much harder to make.
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2020 at 11:26am
they don't 'nest', same as beer cans, bean cans,pop cans, etc. all have straight sides...

Now what I want to know is WHY aren't ALL cans of food 'stackable' in a pantry ? Some cans have slightly rounded bottomes ,so you CAN stack the cans...while others are 'flat' bottomed and don't stack well.....

i know, one of life's mysteries.....
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2020 at 12:12pm
Originally posted by jaybmiller jaybmiller wrote:

they don't 'nest', same as beer cans, bean cans,pop cans, etc. all have straight sides...

Now what I want to know is WHY aren't ALL cans of food 'stackable' in a pantry ? Some cans have slightly rounded bottomes ,so you CAN stack the cans...while others are 'flat' bottomed and don't stack well.....

they don't 'nest', same as beer cans, bean cans,pop cans, etc. all have straight sides.
Read the ad again. Nice and slow this time!

Edited by Tbone95 - 09 Jun 2020 at 12:13pm
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2020 at 3:03pm
Tbone, i think you missread Jay... The steel cans have straight sides, but a small BELL at the top.. With the lid on, the 2nd can will set INTO the lid of the first.. Its only 12/ inch, but keeps one from sliding off when stacked.. A lot of soup cans or beer cans are also made that way.

i guess it depends on what your definition of IS is !  Wink 

Edited by steve(ill) - 09 Jun 2020 at 3:11pm
FREEDGUY View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2020 at 6:10pm
Originally posted by Tbone95 Tbone95 wrote:

they don't 'nest', same as beer cans, bean cans,pop cans, etc. all have straight sides.
Read the ad again. Nice and slow this time!
From the add and the picture, it looks like the bottom 1 1/2-2 " of the bucket will "nest" in the upper/wide portion of the pretty-much straight sided looking steel pails Smile
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2020 at 7:20am
I get it, they aren't "as tapered" as a plastic bucket. But also think they wouldn't make a very good cylinder for calculating when it comes to trying to be very accurate.

Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2020 at 7:21am
Originally posted by steve(ill) steve(ill) wrote:

Tbone, i think you missread Jay... The steel cans have straight sides, but a small BELL at the top.. With the lid on, the 2nd can will set INTO the lid of the first.. Its only 12/ inch, but keeps one from sliding off when stacked.. A lot of soup cans or beer cans are also made that way.

i guess it depends on what your definition of IS is !  Wink 

Steve, the add you posted says this EXACTLY: "Empty pails nest for storage"
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2020 at 8:20am
YEP........... whats your definition of IS...

as Freedguy and Jay said, the plastic buckets will NEST inside each other maybe 8- 10 inches... The steel buckets have STRAIGHT WALLS and set in the LIP maybe 1 inch ... with the lid on, then just set inside the 1/2 inch tall lip.

Edited by steve(ill) - 10 Jun 2020 at 8:22am
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2020 at 8:49am
So you put lids on empty buckets? Wow, well there it IS then!
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2020 at 8:51am
Just having fun here.....because....well, the world sucks! But honestly, I would call that stacking, not nesting.

Edited by Tbone95 - 10 Jun 2020 at 8:53am
Ray54 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2020 at 11:50am
Wink We be a bunch dumb farmers Wink but all are so smart they are not looking to move into the big city.LOL I think there may be a couple of you that are up town in the big city Wink but given half a chance I beat you would move out.

Today's big farm problem what rain gauge to believe,which oil to put in my antique tractor.

Up town in the big city today,Confused which gang to pay your tribute to as you don't have police as of yesterday cause the mayor went crazy.

When it really gets crazy Confused meet at Shameless's place and will try to take the country Angry back.
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2020 at 4:17pm
dang it's HOT here... so ...
to me 'nesting' means something goes into another something, pretty dang far, say 90+% inside...
'stacking' means something will go on top of anotehr  something and not generally far over

as for rain guages... yeesh, just go buy 3 same brand/same units and PRAY they ALL read the same......Cry
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2020 at 7:15am

dang it's HOT here... so ...
to me 'nesting' means something goes into another something, pretty dang far, say 90+% inside...
'stacking' means something will go on top of anotehr  something and not generally far over

as for rain guages... yeesh, just go buy 3 same brand/same units and PRAY they ALL read the same......Cry

to me 'nesting' means something goes into another something, pretty dang far, say 90+% inside..

EXACTLY! So....did you reread the ad Steve posted?

Edited by Tbone95 - 11 Jun 2020 at 7:17am
structures View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote structures Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2020 at 8:16am
Did the rain gauge ever get solved?  If the new one is just a straight cylinder you should be able to just measure from the bottom with a tape measure and see if the increments were printed off by 1/2".  I would bet the new one is off.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2020 at 8:17am
the add got it WRONG... There definition of NESTING is the bucket sets 1 inch into the bucket below it... I have bought dozens of steel buckets... They do no NEST.... they STACK as jay said... Look at soup cans, beer cans, etc... as jay said, they STACK.. Plastic tapered buckets NESTS. ............ they are using the wrong word.

Go to the Farm STore or Hardware Store and tell them you want to see the 5 gal buckets of ROOFING TAR or BARN PAINT ........... they will be Stacked.

Edited by steve(ill) - 11 Jun 2020 at 8:18am
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2020 at 9:08am
Sssshhhhhh…...relax Steve. Maybe switch to decaf?

Just jerkin' the proverbial chain of a very frustrating thread....You know...volume is volume, nesting is nesting, is is is.

Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2020 at 9:10am
Originally posted by structures structures wrote:

Did the rain gauge ever get solved?  If the new one is just a straight cylinder you should be able to just measure from the bottom with a tape measure and see if the increments were printed off by 1/2".  I would bet the new one is off.

What I wanna know, is how it is ALWAYS 1/2 inch off?

Maybe the last 1/2 inch doesn't get emptied out?
Ray54 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2020 at 12:18pm
Tbone now you know what I meant about a oil Wink thread.LOL And I see where I got confused Confused about your on line name.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2020 at 1:48pm
The problem with the rain gauges is they are all BUILT IN CHINA ... They build them in centimeters, and then convert to inches.. Some say there are 2 cm per inch, some say 2.54 cm per inch. !!! Wink
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic