This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Garden Tractors
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Best all around tractor

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Waureme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Best all around tractor
    Posted: 03 May 2020 at 1:40pm
Hello all. I am new to the whole tractor thing and wanted to know what would be the best old tractor for all around use. By that i mean hauling, plowing, backhoe and loading operations. I can easily find IH and Ford 8 &9n tractors, as well as Farmalls in my local area or within a 3 hour ride. Now i know this will start some kind of argument as to the IH guys vs the ford guys vs the farmalls but in your opinion what is the best tractor of the tractors you have used for all around use. Thanks for your time
And one off topic advice pls...Ok, so now that my lift, wheels and tires are on momma is not happy with my RC nerf bars. The steps are to far forward and makes it hard for her to get in and out. I measured the bars from each end and they seem to be the same so I’m 99% I installed them correctly. What are other people using? What can you say about this I’m not looking to spend a fortune because I know I’m going to take a bath on the RC steps I already purchased. Thanks for the help!

Edited by Waureme - 15 May 2020 at 1:06am
Sponsored Links

Dusty MI View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dusty MI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2020 at 6:45pm
WD    WD-45   or maybe a D series   How many horses yo looking for?
917 H, '48 G, '65 D-10 series III "Allis Express"
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2020 at 7:28pm
any 'loader' operations NEEDS power steering AND reinforced front rims..
backhoe generally means tractor WILL have a loader/bucket on it...
'plowing' , fields of snow ?? kinda important to knwo that...
 No ONE tractor is ideal. I have 3 D-14s, loader one is used rarely( giant pumpkins),nuther  setup for landscape rake, 3rd is 'general purpose'. All are Snap-Coupler as 3pt is a PITFA.
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2020 at 9:08pm
If you want a loader / backhoe ...... then you dont want a standard farm tractor.. We bought an older CASE 530 loader/ backhoe and it works great for that... We bought a FORD 4600  for doing the farm/ disc / plow/ bush hog work... I have 3-4 smaller Allis B tractors ( 20 HP)  for sickle / woods mower / small blade work.

Edited by steve(ill) - 04 May 2020 at 9:10pm
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
DSeries4 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DSeries4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2020 at 9:19pm
I agree 100% with Steve.  A regular farm tractor for backhoe work is no good. 
'49 G, '54 WD45, '55 CA, '56 WD45D, '57 WD45, '58 D14, '59 D14, '60 D14, '61 D15D, '66 D15II, '66 D21II, '67 D17IV, '67 D17IVD, '67 190XTD, '73 620, '76 185, '77 175, '84 8030, '85 6080
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2020 at 5:03am
Have to agree, no One Special Built does it all Good or Perfect Tractor. Need a Backhoe easy enough to rent for a week or month, need a bigger excavator or loader same conditions as maintenance will eat you alive if not worked at least weekly and kept up. Farm tractors are Farm Tractors, are NOT bulldozers, nor Tracked or Wheeled Excavation loaders. Can shave a little sod, dig soft soils, even spread rock but not going to dig a house foundation very well or for long before something explodes. Heavy equipment is generally not suited to farm convenience as is heavy, not set up to plow not set up for any other real purpose. Also have to consider Open station(Loads of Trees) ROPS if roll over country, full cab if using in heavy dusty or heavy pollen or severe weather conditions(Heat/Cold and then size to pull attachments or run attachments as loaders and work in sloppy conditions to set large round bales or get them out of fields. Are actually Dozens of specific jobs many tractors do well, and others do not and vice versa.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2020 at 8:05am
WE bought a FORD 4600 , about a 1978 model with 60 HP. a couple years ago.  Bought this specifically because it sets a little lower to the ground than some other tractors. We use it to bushhog / disc / blade on some rolling hills between the trees.... and wanted something that sat a little lower and more stable.

Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2020 at 8:14am
This is an older CASE 530 backhoe/ loader.  It has a very heavy duty loader frame and hoe frame mounted to the tractor, as compared to a 3 point hitch backhoe on a farm tractor.  The tractor is about the size of a D15 ( 40 HP) and weight is over 8000 pounds. Not good for disc or blade work.  Takes quite some time to take the backhoe off.

Dusty MI View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dusty MI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2020 at 9:19am
I have an A.C. 720 which is a large garden tractor with a loader on it. I use it a fair amout and like it. 
Dakota Dave View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dakota Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2020 at 11:00am
If you want a backhoe youll really need a dedicated unit its better to just rent one whenyou need it. Every thing else could be accomplished with one tractor. For general use I like aWD45 is a convenient size the seating isnt the greatest but i find it usable. I only have a trip loader on mine. I can remove it in 10 minutes. Just drop the parking stand pull the pins and back out. That makes it much better for other uses
ac fleet View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac fleet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2020 at 12:17pm
Case 580 ck loader/backhoe for diggin/loadin/bulldozin/etc. ---- BUT thats it for the use of that unit,--then ya gotta get another one of some kind for the other stuff.
WD-45 is good general size for average work. ---anything bigger wont fit in small spaces, so keep that in mind too.
http://machinebuildersnetwork.com/
Dusty MI View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dusty MI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2020 at 12:52pm
I dug a trench once for a friend. It was a 3 point backhoe on his farm tractor. Seamed OK for occasionally use. Got to admit that I had never ran a backhoe before. 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic