This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

220/3500 engine rebuild 'kits'

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Michael V (NM) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 220/3500 engine rebuild 'kits'
    Posted: 03 Apr 2020 at 9:19pm
well, the more I'm messing with this unwanted, neglected stepchild, I'm finding that it became a really bad etherholic  in its lifetime,,,, evidence shows from all the ether can caps found in the caked up dirt, toolbox, and other hiding places..lots of blowby, no starting without the ether,,
so, I ask what are y'all using for rebuild "kits" I'd like the best for the lowest $$,,, yea,, I gotta budget too..with that said,, this tractor will prolly never see them 14-18 hour days at full load pulling a plow,, but I'd sure like to be able to.. in other words, it needs to "earn its keep",,, oh yea, this will be 'out of frame' so extras will be needed, such as new/rebuilt oil pump, new cam bushings/bearings, complete head/valve job and whatever else ....prolly new clutch/resurfaced flywheel since I'm there...

Reliance kits are what I'm seeing mostly,, are there others? I'll look at the vendors that support this site first...
Sponsored Links

WF owner View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WF owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2020 at 6:24am
I've had excellent results with Reliance kits.
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2020 at 6:31am
Generally, the oil pump is never replaced on an AC engine like that, especially if it is the crankshaft driven oil pump.
SteveM C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2020 at 9:26am
I doubt you need oil pump or cam bearings. Be sure whoever does valves knows it matters where the valve head height is. Low seats and ground valves cause LOW compression and hard starting.
DSeries4 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DSeries4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2020 at 9:53am
I would definitely replace the cam bearings. Many engines just get an infame rebuild - throw in new rings and pistons and away you go.  Can bearings get ignored.  The cam bearings on my 190 XT were worn down to bare metal. 

If you are going to rebuild it, take the extra time to go right through it just to make sure there are no problems that could crop up 100 hours later.  My 2 cents.
'49 G, '54 WD45, '55 CA, '56 WD45D, '57 WD45, '58 D14, '59 D14, '60 D14, '61 D15D, '66 D15II, '66 D21II, '67 D17IV, '67 D17IVD, '67 190XTD, '73 620, '76 185, '77 175, '84 8030, '85 6080
Alvin M View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alvin M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2020 at 10:45am
I Move The Valves .010 Closer To The Pistons It Will Start Better   Also On 301 Engines Been Doing It For 40 Plus Years
DougG View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DougG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2020 at 3:02pm
How do you do this Alvin with the valves?
Alvin M View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alvin M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2020 at 3:14pm
Install New Seats Then Machine Them .010 Less Then Specs After Head Is Machined
DougG View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DougG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2020 at 6:25pm
Thanks for the info Alvin, bet you know alot more tricks that are very valuable ! 
Amos View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Amos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2020 at 7:53pm
Doug,  Alvin knows !!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic