This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Am I right,,,or is he wromg,,,,,?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Am I right,,,or is he wromg,,,,,?
    Posted: 03 Apr 2020 at 2:12pm

Well,,,some of ya'll might remember that I posted a few days ago bout cleaning out the Big pantry cabinet cause I told my wife and son that we NEED to know what groceries we got in there and what we need to get in case of,,,,well never mind,,,,,,soooooo
  I notice my Son putting some of the can food in a bag,,,,? So I "calmly"  ask what you fixin to do with them groceries,,thinkin he might be thinkin of sellin em,,,WinkWink
 He tells me we need to "THROW" these away cause they ain't any good no more.  WAIT  A Friggin minute I scream,,,,and he shows me some with expiration dates a year or so,,,,, and I say,,CHIT,, if they ain't opened or crushed or ,,whatever,,,they  should be good for ole Joe,,,,,
  Now,,I know he's a millenial cause that is what it says on his Birth certificate and I was there when he popped out into our world,,,!!! These are canned food for crying out loud!!,,,

Should we be throwin away good food cause of an expiration date,,?? I KNOW I ain't gonna throw away any of the rice and beans we bought for in case of,,,,

Sponsored Links

Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2020 at 2:46pm
Personally, I wouldn't let 1 year past expiration on a can be a reason to throw it out, as long as there was no sign of leak, bulge, or other problem. 

There IS a line in the sand somewhere for me.....not sure where....maybe 3-ish to 5 years?
JC-WI View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JC-WI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2020 at 3:18pm
If it is pineapple in a can... Use it up in a reasonable time of the date... or the acids will destroy the coating inside way faster than any other canned item does. and will have a good chance of makin you sick.
He who says there is no evil has already deceived himself
The truth is the truth, sugar coated or not. Trawler II says, "Remember that."
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2020 at 3:32pm
I doubt the CAN can read the expiration date... I would use them... Some cans last 20 years !!
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
LouSWPA View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LouSWPA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2020 at 3:42pm
with rare exceptions, as JC pointed out, I wouldn't blink an eye using them, as others have said. taste, and/or nutritional value will start to degrade before it actually goes nonconsumable
I am still confident of this;
I will see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living.
Wait for the Lord;
be strong and take heart and wait for the Lord. Ps 27
Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2020 at 5:15pm
I've been eating things that are WAY of of date forever.  I'm still eating canned meat I put up back in 87.  I'm not dead yet....

The food people started all this crap about dates, just so they could sell more.  Then everybody followed suit and got us to where we are today.  I CALL BS!!!!

There are NO rules concerning dating or nothing.  Just another way to get people to toss out good stuff and buy more.  It's all about (and it'll never change) follow the money trail.

Honestly,,,,,,,,is there ANYTHING that you would believe comes out of the rich peoples mouths??   Makes me wonder,,,,,,,and I'll have to go look......... is there an expiration date on toilet paper??
"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17
fixer1958 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fixer1958 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2020 at 5:33pm
Yes Ted...it's on the last sheet of TP on the roll.

I'd eat it Joe if the can looked ok.
Bob D. (La) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob D. (La) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2020 at 6:28pm
Your right, he's wrong.
When you find yourself in a hole,PUT DOWN THE SHOVEL!!!
Boss Man View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boss Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2020 at 7:48pm
Unless the can is leaking its good. Kid wouldn't make a brownie mix because it was expired. I said good more for me. Little ate them on me
Alberta Phil View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alberta Phil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2020 at 7:53pm
that date just means that the store isn't supposed to sell it after that date.  Just so customers know stock is fresh.
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2020 at 8:05pm
The 'best before date' is a SCAM to CON the public into buying more.....plain and simple...

I've got 8 year old cans here, foods fine, had 5  year old frozen chicken about 10 yeras ago and I can tell you about it, so it wasn't bad....

Have a friend here who pays 5-6X what I do for food as she tosses out anything the day after the BBdate 'expires'. She also doesn't have ANY leftovers in her fridge !!
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2020 at 8:22pm
I own a vending company, and some items expire quickly as per at date stamped on the packages. I have to continualy check those dates and remove the expired packages right away. now the state says I can't sell them after the expiration date and they also say that if I give them away I still have to pay the tax on them. if I destroy them then I don't hafta pay the tax. I came in to one of my machines one day and a post it note was on the machine, said a soda that was bought was expired and it gave the name of the person that bought it, I looked up that person (female) and told her I would refund her money and asked her for the soda back that she bought. she said she drank it. I said I don't owe her anything then. that ticked her off! as said above, if it ain't leaking and all, open it up and look/taste it...you can/should be able to tell if it's o-k. also check for any rust on the outside of the can, those should be pitched too. sometimes ya gotta do things without any helpers.
jiminnd View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jiminnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2020 at 8:22pm
I think most is still good to a limit, I did just throw out an opened bottle of worcestershire sauce with a 2011 date but it had been opened. Unopened stuff is way different.
1945 C, 1949 WF and WD, 1981 185, 1982 8030, unknown D14(nonrunner)
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2020 at 9:35pm

Well,,that dang Millanial done throwed out the cans that were over the ex date,,,,so I went and fished em out of the trash trailes all 9 cans of em from sloppy Joes' sauce to cherries Yum,,yum,, , he didn't offer to pay me,,,,,,Wink
 I told him quite plainly,,,,when you pay me for them expired cans,,,only THEN can you throw them out,,!!THEN,,I went and told his Momma and she ate his azz as well,,,!!!Clap

You know ole Shameless talkin bout his business reminds me of one time I had stopped at the rest area bout halfway between Artesia and The Alien City,,and I went to throw some trash in the trash can and lo and behold the friggin barrel was almost FULL of all kinds of Tom's peanut bags and chips and all kinds of other goodies,,,! They was all clean ,,so I loaded the trunk of the car almost full and hauled azz home,,thinkin I'd go into competition with ole Shameless,,,,,ClapClap
 For the next 15 or so times we went to The alien City,,I'd stop and check but never did catch it like that again,,,LOL
JC-WI View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JC-WI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2020 at 1:11am
DJ the dumpster diver... Hey DJ thats OK, peanuts are good... but your story reminded me of a time 20+ years ago that I helped put up a processing plant, and behind the building there was a Deli E x press storage van. Just before the delivery truck was to be there, the vendor would toss out the close to expire or expired merchandize.  Thought I was in hog heaven working at that place and able to grab them good samwiches and stuff... Cordin blue, hamburgers, cheeze burgers, chicken sandwiches.. deluxe, triple cheese burgers, cookies rolls etc., etc., etc., would have two or three a day... and about two weeks there was a pain in the side that just got worse an worse... until it was if I just looked at that de-li label I wanted to puke.  That stuff was so bad that the cats got scrawny as skeletons and had to stop feeding it to them too.  Took a long time to get rid of that pain I had.  Anyways, business I was helping got up and running and hired half dozen employees and they caught on to watching the dumpster... One day I walked in from a parts run and they were hanging in the corner to jump out and grab the goodies after the vendor left. Going to be a big score that night because the stock truck was due in to fill the refrigerated trailer.  I told them they looked like a bunch of vultures waiting for the prey to die... One of them asked me if I was going to grab some of it... and I replied back, 'No, and in 2 to 3 weeks you won't want the crap either.' and after awhile, the dumpster wasn't raided anymore... except for a nubie that would show up. Figured the stuff had to much preservatives in it.
About a year later I was with my nephew and he stopped to have lunch and opened his lunch box and there was a d-e-li sandwich in here, Caught me off guard and nephew says 'are you sick?' No, but the thought of him eating it had made me gag. Told him to do himself a favor and make his own sandwiches. and told him my story.
  Sometimes free doesn't mean it's good.
Thad in AR. View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2020 at 8:20am
Funny thing this post. I’m a dumpster diver from way back. I’m a firm believer in repurposing.
That said, like Ole JC I once fell victim to food poisoning. The pain was just exactly as JC described it.
It’s nothing you’ll ever forget. Yes the being sick part is rough but the pain is what makes you a real believer. I won’t risk it for a $ .68 of anything. Now I won’t throw out canned food that’s a day week or even a month out but if we’re talking years??? It’s gone.
Like Joe, we’ve been taking inventory. She questioned a couple canned items. They were 2 years out. I told her I’d work 15 minutes overtime next week to cover the loss. I don’t trust anything tomatoie that’s possibly expired.
They make perfect targets. 👍
Pat the Plumber CIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pat the Plumber CIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2020 at 8:37am
Local food bank here accepts up to 3 years past date on canned goods only.
You only need to know 3 things to be a plumber;Crap rolls down hill,Hot is on the left and Don't bite your fingernails

1964 D-17 SIV 3 Pt.WF,1964 D-15 Ser II 3pt.WF ,1960 D-17 SI NF,1956 WD 45 WF.
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2020 at 9:00am
ANY food item with a acidic nature IE Tomato or Tropical Fruits need to be used prior as not only does it damage the can lining, may look and smell quite fine but has also absorbed that lining material and the tin of the can itself. Know that from dealing with Grandmother using OLD cans that seemed fine. ended up going to doctor for irritated bowl and bladder issues, when asked what she was eating said for her NOTHING past that date on the can, EVER Again.

Cannot speak beyond that but was scared enough I will allow a month or two but not EVEN close to a year and anything beyond a year, BYE BYE. Ate C and K rations in Military, those are FAR different and just as tasteless and non nourishing as it gets, just keeps your stomach from eyeing your backbone to chew on much as hay suffices awhile for cattle and they still lose weight.
Hubert (Ga)engine7 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hubert (Ga)engine7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2020 at 9:29am
As long as the can is not rusted or bulging I will use it. We can our own tomatoes in glass jars and they will last for years. Anything in az tin can that is over 5 years out of date I will toss. Carbonated drinks in aluminum cans or plastic bottles will go flat in short order but not the ones in glass bottles. A lot of companies put "expiration" dates on things just to avoid lawsuits in case some one uses something that is bad. I have insect sting swabs that are 5+ years out of date but they still work fine.
Just an old country boy saved by the grace of God.
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2020 at 9:31am

Well,,chit,,,Now ya'll got me concerned,,,but it is something good to know and maybe I'll just recheck the dates and donate to the Hospital auxillary after askin them bout the dates they'll accept. I also fount a 3# bag of Great Northern Beans that somebody gave us on a trip to Nort Dakota,,,,there ain't no date on them as prolly even before they dated anything,,,,???Wink
chaskaduo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chaskaduo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2020 at 9:41am
Problem with old beans is they don't really tender up when cooked even for hours. That being said you can cook em till they fall apart then blender blitzkrieg em, and cook down further to refried beans. Probly how that started way way way back.
1938 B, 79 Dynamark 11/36 6spd, 95 Weed-Eater 16hp, 2010 Bolens 14hp
JC-WI View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JC-WI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2020 at 11:41am
Thad, the 'food poisoning' was due to the fact that the food was so laced with preservatives that when to much was consumed, the preservatives affected the body.
And I can see where people could get cancer real easy from all that accumulation of preservatives from pigging out on fast food 'snacks'  that were intended for just that, a snack, not your whole meal for the day, day after day.

Dave's quote-  "ANY food item with a acidic nature IE Tomato or Tropical Fruits need to be used prior as not only does it damage the can lining, may look and smell quite fine but has also absorbed that lining material and the tin of the can itself." Need to be aware of the acids attacking the metal.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic