This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

WD45 wide front end R&R

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sploke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: WD45 wide front end R&R
    Posted: 02 Apr 2020 at 8:14am
While I'm waiting for some other engine parts and the tractor is up on blocks, I decided to take a look at freshening up the front end.  It's a WD45 with the adjustable wide front end.  It's a loader tractor, so the front end sees a lot of stress.  I pulled the wheel bearings off the spindles to clean and re-grease them, so far the bearings and races look to be in great shape, so good news there.  I pulled the spindles out of the spindle supports to check things out, there was a fair bit of play in the supports so I'm going to replace all four of the bushings in the sleeve.

One thing I'm curious about, with the adjustable front end - where the spindle supports slide into the square center section, there seems to be a lot of play - maybe 1/8" of wiggle room with the bolts tight on the outside of the center section.  Is this correct, or has something gotten bent out of shape to allow that much play?

I'm currently deciding how much further I'm going to go on the steering section...I'm thinking I should probably go through the main steering shaft bearings as well to clean and re-grease, since who knows how long it's been since they've been looked at.  Anything I should pay particular attention to while I'm in there?
Sponsored Links

Sugarmaker View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2020 at 11:59am
sploke,
 Your doing the right things. I am sure the loader tractors take a lot of abuse. 
Not sure about the slop. Mine was very tight and had not been moved to years. It did not come apart very easy.
Regards,
Chris
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
Boss Man View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boss Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2020 at 4:19pm
Not sure if the 45 is like the D series. There are special bolts that hold the knee tight in the center section. People would break them trying to adjust the front end and put regular bolts in thus causing slop in the fit
sploke View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sploke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2020 at 7:51am
Originally posted by Boss Man Boss Man wrote:

Not sure if the 45 is like the D series. There are special bolts that hold the knee tight in the center section. People would break them trying to adjust the front end and put regular bolts in thus causing slop in the fit

Interesting...mine definitely had normal bolts in there.  Were they originally some sort of thicker shoulder bolt that was a tighter fit in the bore of the inner spindle support
-Matt
South Windsor, CT
Boss Man View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boss Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2020 at 12:16pm
Been a long time but from what I remember, yes. One side of the center section had larger holes than the other. The head end of the bolt had a thick shoulder that fit snug in the hole and allowed the knee to be pinched tight when tightened. I don't remember if the head had flats or an actual hex like a normal bolt.
LeonR2013 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LeonR2013 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2020 at 12:39pm
The king pins can be built up and then turned down to the correct size. I didn't like the brass bushings so I went to NAPA  and found the later model bushings that have I think they call Mylar that fit the pins perfectly. I was amazed at how much easier it turned when rolling because they are much slicker and they've held up fine
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic