This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

idiot 'engineers'

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: idiot 'engineers'
    Posted: 01 Apr 2020 at 10:24am
I'd love to meet the 'genius' who decided on the colours of wires for an aftermarket 7 way , truck side connector. I'm using it to test my dump trailer which should now have real brakes.....hmm, seems to be 'brake season' ( 2 D-14s, trailer, F150....)
WHO in their right mind specifies TWO green wires in a group of seven wires ???
ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGH....
OK one is 'lightish' green, the other 'darkish' green ,IF you clean them off and have SUNSHINE while looking at them......

Green is right turn/brake
Green is backup light

Just another fun day here north of the 49th.

Jay
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
Sponsored Links

weiner View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote weiner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2020 at 11:06am
Ford`s better ideas.   
Real heros wear dogtags, not capes.
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2020 at 11:52am
couldn't have said it better myself!
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2020 at 12:39pm
AFTERMARKET  7 way connector, so not Ford.

And probably no engineering involved, how hard is it to copy any other 7 way connector?  Engineering required?  Doubt it.
chaskaduo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chaskaduo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2020 at 1:31pm
A dyslexic color blind chimp? Wink
1938 B, 79 Dynamark 11/36 6spd, 95 Weed-Eater 16hp, 2010 Bolens 14hp
fixer1958 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fixer1958 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2020 at 6:14pm
Nah... Had some extra on hand and decided they needed to use it up.
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2020 at 6:57pm
I always wonder whey the different companies with DIFFERENT products dont come to a standard...

HOUSE WIRE........... black and white.... BLACK IS ALWAYS HOT !!

AUTO WIRE ...........  black and white.... BLACK IS ALWAYS GROUND !!
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
DougG View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DougG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2020 at 7:40pm
Ummm pretty sure house HOT is always white,, kinda been that way for a while 
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2020 at 8:33pm
yep
john(MI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john(MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2020 at 8:49pm
Everywhere I have wired, black is always hot, except when it comes back from a switch, then you gotta use the white wire. But if you have tape on hand you can put electric tape on it to make it correct.

If you believe white is hot, take a receptacle out and touch the black wire!
D14, D17, 5020, 612H, CASE 446
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2020 at 8:56pm
look in your breaker box........... all the BLACK wires are connected to each Individual Breakers.... all the WHITE wires are connected together as Neutral, normally with the BARE ground wire.
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2020 at 9:08pm
re: AUTO WIRE ...........  black and white.... BLACK IS ALWAYS GROUND !!

Ok for Ford , black is ground... #37 in my '67 mustang...
BUT...
White IS GROUND for trailer wiring, Black is +12 to feed battery for ebrake system...

Oh yeah, white was *&^&%*)^)* HOT for the original electric hot water heater in this house..... cheap installer used NMD-2(blk-wht-gnd)  NOT code required NMD-3(blk-red-wht-grd)...

yup, so much for standards...

computer are worse, used to have 25 pin serial connectors ( pin 2=transmit, 3 = receive) 'they' went to 9 pins and SWAPPED 3 for 2, 2 for 3......
idiots....probably never ever actually BUILT or REPAIRED a computer...

3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
HD6GTOM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD6GTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2020 at 9:11pm
Boys got it right. Black is always hot, white is neutral, bare copper is ground. The trailer I am working on today has white wires for the ground.   Trying to get the furnace to work. I think the LP /CO2 detector that is hot wired into the system is shot. They are supposed to be replaced every 5 years. This one shuts all gas off if a leak is detected, has a 1993 date on it.
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2020 at 9:20pm

Well,,I ain't no juice'trician but the girls I run with told me that on alternating current white is always neutral, like her,,,and Black is always HOT,,,like her,,thas how I remember them,,,LOL
chaskaduo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chaskaduo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2020 at 10:30pm
So she was two tone, shades didn't match the rug? Blonde on top Hot on the   I'm outa here. Wink
Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2020 at 10:50pm
He said the "Girls" he ran wit......so, thas at least 2 girls...maybe manies more and at least one of em was white an at least one of em was black.  I have NO idee how he defines a gal as kinda neutral......but HOT I can unnerstand....

Remember back in the day when wiring used different colored stripes on wires so you could trace em?  Naw, that was too easy.

Edited by Ted J - 01 Apr 2020 at 11:20pm
"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2020 at 7:03am

W@ell,,,Chask and Ted,,,like I said,,,"I ain't no juice-trician" and that be my disclaimer for today,,,,,,,Wink
 Ya see,,,when you first start out,,they is "neutral" ,,then as you prodeed with "tracin" out you jiggle the Black one and it sure enough be HOT,,,,??  Chit,,that don't sound good at all so I''ll stop right there,,,,Clap
  "Change" is good and if well thought out,,, can be progressive and beneficial for everybody. The only'ist thing wrong with that statement is that a former president really tore the chit out of THAT statement, didn't he,,??Wink
chaskaduo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chaskaduo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2020 at 8:26am
That CBD oil must be doing something for ya Joe, but I always found the RED ones to be HOT. Wink
Fred in Pa View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fred in Pa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2020 at 8:32am
One thing for sure ,makes u have to know what you are working on. I have  more tractors that go though my shop these days that have more problems from the guy that thought he could fix something with out knowing what he was trying to do  .Or not  knowing just what he was working at .
He who dies with the most toys is,
nonetheless ,still dead.
If all else fails ,Read all that is PRINTED.
Just because you do not have the tools for job , it dose not make it a bad design.
Steve in NJ View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve in NJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2020 at 9:19am
As long as I've worked on DC, white was always ground on trailers. As far back as I can remember, in the Trailer world, that's been standard of the industry. In the 12VNG Automotive world, BLACK or BLACK/RED (or White) tracer is considered ground. White in the Automotive world is considered a "Load" color.  Whether large or small. Large White would be used to transfer high current. In smaller fashion, used in Starter circuits, etc. I don't mess to much with AC. I don't want to light myself up!....  LOL!    
39'RC, 43'WC, 48'B, 49'G, 50'WF, 65 Big 10, 67'B-110, 75'716H, 2-620's, & a Motorhead wife
Amos View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Amos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2020 at 11:26am
For those of you that don't work on Freightliner trucks...you are correct...Freighliner use white wires for everything, with these tiny little numbers on every wire telling you what it is for...tiny little numbers in dark corners under the dash and bed...
Lars(wi) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lars(wi) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2020 at 10:48pm
I remember when Internationals had all black wiring with silverish/kinda white numbers on each wire
I tried to follow the science, but it was not there. I then followed the money, and that’s where I found the science.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2020 at 11:48pm
me wonders...if'n Joe was runn'in with 2+ gals...was the cops chas'in them? well now...that ya'll gots me cornfused with which wires are hot...guess i'll just hafta use the touch method!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic