This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Non-detergent oil

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mikez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Non-detergent oil
    Posted: 31 Mar 2020 at 11:04pm
Hi everyone.
Dad was talking to his oil supplier and they told him they couldn't get any none detergent oil. Thought that was kinda weird. Anyone run into that to.
Sponsored Links

DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2020 at 4:35am
I have not seen or used NDMO since the 1990s, was a small engine shop could still get it then but as time moved on they moved to detergent oils too.
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2020 at 4:41am
I still see some on auto parts stores shelves. I always try to keep some here, use it a lot for bar oil on my chain saw, and a few old engines. my '48 Willy's calls for that type oil.
Dave H View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2020 at 5:36am
i was totally perplexed as to why anyone would have a use for non detergent oil in the year 2020, however shamelesss straightened me out.

A book printed in 1048 calls for it.  Guess time don't chage.

Now a chain saw prolly calls for bar and chain oil cus of that tacky stuff in the additive.  however we can use non detergent motor oil in there instead of what it calls for.

Confused Wink

Edited by Dave H - 01 Apr 2020 at 5:37am
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2020 at 5:44am
I heard, somewhere, that some guys use Canola oil  for their chainbars, Suppose to be just as good, cheaper and 'environmentally friendly'.
Also I'v never understood the term 'nondetergent'.  Detergents breakdown oils don't they ?? as in soap kills CV19 by stripping the fat off it.
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
levipatch View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levipatch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2020 at 6:24am
Go to yur local airport  and you can get the best non deter oil money can buy. ( most any weight)
Billy..Big cam 300, bcam 400,,941 CAT.,,Deere excavator..900 row crop.. 66 D 17 diesel IV... 985 Pratt and Whitney..4360 Pratt and Whitney... gitten tired !
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2020 at 6:54am
Originally posted by jaybmiller jaybmiller wrote:

I heard, somewhere, that some guys use Canola oil  for their chainbars, Suppose to be just as good, cheaper and 'environmentally friendly'.
Also I'v never understood the term 'nondetergent'.  Detergents breakdown oils don't they ?? as in soap kills CV19 by stripping the fat off it.

Seriously? Obviously the detergent that’s been added to oils for decades must work ok. As in, has rendered non detergent oil obsolete.
Brad in WA View Drop Down
Bronze Level Access
Bronze Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brad in WA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2020 at 10:12am
Air compressors and pressure washer pumps usually require non detergent oil.
Michael V (NM) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Michael V (NM) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2020 at 10:41am
I've seen ND oil at TSC,, seemed kinda expensive,,and what Brad said,, still used in air compressor an some may still use it in hydraulic systems...its non-foaming
weiner View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote weiner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2020 at 10:59am
I have used Mobel One in my 52 Super C  for almost 25 years and a Super M also and yes even an Alls CA.  Before that starting in 1969 I have run a 1939 H and  late 40 Ms on detergent oil.  I have never had an engine suffer.  I have never had one start to use oil.
Real heros wear dogtags, not capes.
TimNearFortWorth View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TimNearFortWorth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2020 at 12:00pm
Used engine oils in my saws, anything that get's dropped from trucks or tractors, set on max setting for delivery on saws to keep em' well lubed.
This guy has no need to buy any chain oil and each winter I use enough in saws to put a big dent in my used oil supply, just run it through a paint filter when transferred to my chain oil gallon jugs and 80/90 squirt bottles that also get used for external chain/bar oilingfor a little extra lube.
Buddy cutting with same saw next to me all day uses only store bought pre-mix gas and the high dollar chain oil, complains he can't get life out of his chains like I do but he is still running cheapo Chinese chains, I run only Husqvarna(s) OEM chains as I can touch em' up far longer with a quick sharpening while the Chinese junk is only good for 1 or 2 sharpenings before you are at the bottom of the trough on the links.
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2020 at 12:03pm
put detergent oil in any flathead engine and it will burn oil. as for saw bar oil, I have used canola oil, and it does a good job, it's also non detergent, but it takes ALOT of it on the bar and chain as it is so thin. non-detergent 30 wt oil works great on bar/chains all year around and is a lot cheaper than the bar oil they say is designed for saws. that oil is a mixture from draining the pipes at where ever they bottle oils, they had to do something with it rather than throw it out so they called it bar oil. detergent oil will wear your bar and chain down pre-maturely, I've never figgered out why since you'd think it would do the same in a vehicle engine to, but it don't and it does on bars/chains!
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2020 at 12:49pm
Originally posted by Brad in WA Brad in WA wrote:

Air compressors and pressure washer pumps usually require non detergent oil.
When I said obsolete, I meant engine oil wise, not that there were no uses for it.  Sorry.
dawntreader74 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dawntreader74 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2020 at 12:59pm
you can still get that oil at farm + fleet 10w' 20w' 30w' thank 40w also.
DonBC View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonBC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2020 at 1:16pm
Detergent oils should not be used in or on any bearings that are associated with water such as pressure washers and circulating pumps as it will form a sludge that will take out seals and bearings. I use to be be in charge of the maintenance program for a school system with numerous schools, some with hot water and steam heating systems. We usually conducted a seminar with all custodians at Christmas break and one year it was about detergent and non detergent oils. Our central stores would supply detergent oils to the schools for lawn mowers and snow blowers and non detergent oils for the heating system circulating pumps. Our work orders dropped substantially after that lecture and stayed that way for about 2 years and then pump problems started to increase again. I investigate why and found out that central stores had run out their supply of non detergent oil and not knowing better started sending out only detergent oil. 
Jack of all trades, master of none
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2020 at 8:12pm
My opinion is that  MOTOR oil should have detergents.. Keeps the insides clean... By deifnition HYDRAULIC oil and COMPRESSOR oil are non detergent... Dont know why you would need a NON detergent Motor oil.
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
john(MI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john(MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2020 at 8:37pm
20w non detergent oil is the same oil that is used for chain oil as well as gas mix oil. 
D14, D17, 5020, 612H, CASE 446
Mikez View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mikez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2020 at 7:52am
Thanks guys. It's what gramp used in a few tractors on the farm for ever. Haven't had any issues, so he figured to keep using it
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic