This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Garden Tractors
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Lawn mower

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave Wisc. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Lawn mower
    Posted: 29 Mar 2020 at 1:54pm
My daughter is looking at getting a different used lawn mower. Yard is not real steep so what is your idea. Don’t want something that will give her a lot of problems either as I am the fix it man.
Sponsored Links

Gary View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2020 at 6:20am

Lets narrow it down.

Does she need a 'walk behind', a self propelled 'walk behind', a riding lawn mower, a Garden Tractor capable of other attachments, or maybe even a 'zero turn' ?
Dave Wisc. View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave Wisc. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2020 at 7:39am
Ok need a rider looking at what brand do you guys like or have confidence in maybe zero turn too
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2020 at 10:59am
Ok I'll start the  'ford vs chvy' debate....
I've had GREAT luck with all brands that are really MTD 'under to hood'. Since you're looking at used, I'll assume a $500 limit ? That should get you a hydrostatic drive, 42" deck, 5-10 years old. Cub Cadets (aka MTD) should have greasable spindles and pretty tight turning other are sealed, if decks noisey(grindy) , new bearing needed, $20/pair.
The things to look for are...oily engines and decks rotting from never cleaning the grass out. B&S engines tend to separate at the crankcase halves. PITA to tighten as engine has to come out. Some Kohler have  HUGE issue, same bolts back off, engine handgrenade.
All riders in the 15-25hp/ 42-54"deck will do say ,up to 2-3 acres.
Check tires, side cracks = time for tubes, fronts are 'fun' to do.....
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
Steve in NJ View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve in NJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2020 at 8:06am
Well, if she doesn't want to spend to much money, I see (around this neck of the woods anyway) a lot of those Green Craftsman riders. They seem to last a long time, and I believe some have Kohlers in em' for power, and some B/S.  As for a ZT, she'll need a lot more money to purchase a used one of those. And with those, you want to check how many hours it has on it. If she doesn't have a lot of property, a small rider with a good deck would probably serve her fine... HTH
Steve@B&B
39'RC, 43'WC, 48'B, 49'G, 50'WF, 65 Big 10, 67'B-110, 75'716H, 2-620's, & a Motorhead wife
Dakota Dave View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dakota Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2020 at 12:02pm
Ive bought a couple older JD garden tractors cheep a 216 for $200 a 214 with snowblower for 400. and of the MTDs can be had cheep. check the decks for rust out. if thev have been kept fairly clean they be good. the engines usually outlast the decks be a long time if they have been kept in oil. most often a oil change spark plug and belts will bring them back to lasting a long time. if its been left out in the yard to rust away and never had oil put in it its junk. you can tell with just a walk by inspection if its worth looking at. I had a MTD  that I mowed 3 acres with for many years. it was a riding mower. cleaned the deck before winter storage  and changed the oil every 5 years or so. after 15 years I put new tires and belts on and gave to my brother its still mowing grass 10 years later.  I personaly like my old John Deere's they are very heavy built and the local JD dealer has parts. I do have a simplicity (they made the allis chalmers garden tractors) its a better tractor but parts are hard to come by.
ACmowerguy View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ACmowerguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2020 at 8:59pm
JD will generally give you the best parts support of any brand. Anything cheap and old is probably going to regularly need some repairs. I have had lots of Simplicity's here and some were better than others, but also some JD's. Foot pedal drive is nice to have. Smaller units with hydrostats and high hours may have transmission problems down the line though I have seen them last to varying degrees. 
10 various B-series garden tractors, AC Homesteader8, 416 hydro,710 gt, 914, 916H, 917H, 920D, and many misc attachments
Orangeisgreat190 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Orangeisgreat190 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2020 at 6:00am
I have two suggestions.  First I will say the Simplicity Sovereign (also called Allis-Chalmers 900 series, older ones were simplicity 7100 series).  They are built very tough and durable.  They made these for many years so parts are plentiful.  If well taken care of, they will give many years of trouble free service.  I used to help take care of a 15 acre cemetery using only Simplicity Sovereign and AC 900 series.  For the price, they could not be outdone by any other mower.  The cemetery was rough and hard on equipment.  They held up great.  My Dad has a 914 Allis with over 4000 hours of mowing time.
I also have had great luck with Wheel Horse.  They are a very simple machine to work on and maintain. Toro supplies parts and the models from about 1990 and newer were called Toro Wheel Horse.  They used the same basic drive train for many years and parts are relatively easy to find.  Once again, very heavy built and user friendly machines.
Mike K View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2020 at 6:41am
If you are looking for Allis Chalmers mower. I have a great assortment. Sprint to 5015 diesel. call 7155817330
cottngton View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cottngton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2021 at 7:36am
I would advise you to try solar-powered mowers. It's more ecological for the environment. Also, you will save some money for the gas you don't use. I think that we should start thinking of the environment a little. With such small steps, we will increase the lifetime of nature. For example, I started to use a cordless weed eater. It was a very delicate question, but I found out the necessary information on how to choose a weed trimmer. I am very glad that I can charge it after the use. It's very easy to handle and to use, and it's eco-friendly.

Edited by cottngton - 15 Mar 2021 at 3:45pm
EvanColeman2001 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EvanColeman2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2021 at 3:34pm
this hurt the soul to read
AC720Man View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC720Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2021 at 8:47pm
Geez, takes fuel of some sort to make electricity, except a power dam I guess. Solar powered? Mow 10 feet and run out of power. Take ya 10 days to mow your yard. Yeah, I agree, painful to read

Edited by AC720Man - 14 Mar 2021 at 8:51pm
1968 B-208, 1976 720 (2 of them)Danco brush hog, single bottom plow,52" snow thrower, belly mower,rear tine tiller, rear blade, front blade, 57"sickle bar,1983 917 hydro, 1968 7hp sno-bee, 1968 190XTD
EvanColeman2001 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EvanColeman2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2021 at 8:40pm
Concerned about the environment? realize that to make all these batteries you need to extract rare earth minerals, carbon emitting equipment is used to get it in the first place, then to process it into a useable product, the material is sent to a factory that has electricity made from a power plant fueled by coal. the means to obtain and create a "sustainable" power source just doesn't exist. I am not saying that it's not another way to go about mowing the lawn; but it certainly is not as sustainable as people make it seem. as soon as we have like 80 more years of mass produced batteries will we know the real effect. Hydrogen engines are the real way of the future if you ask me... so run your gas weed whacker and sleep peacefully knowing you'll be peacefully 6 feet deep long before it makes any difference
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2021 at 6:16am
In my neck of the woods, if I had too much grass to cut, I'd fence and get a few sheep or goats. They not only automatically trim the lawn, they're EASILY sold at the end of the year..so someone else is PAYING me to cut my lawn ! Ther's a HUGE demand for goat here...
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
Dusty MI View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dusty MI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2021 at 9:02am
Many years ago there was a big worry about the hole in the ozone layer.  Then I learned that one volcano caused more damage than everything that man had done. 
917 H, '48 G, '65 D-10 series III "Allis Express"
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic