This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Garden Tractors
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

620 steering wheel how to get the center cap off

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrianC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 620 steering wheel how to get the center cap off
    Posted: 10 Mar 2020 at 2:26pm
How does one pop out the center cap of the steering wheel.
Sponsored Links

Steve in NJ View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve in NJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2020 at 12:03pm
I don't think the center cap comes off. I don't remember now. I thought the center cap was part of the steering wheel itself. I think the steering wheel has an allen set screw in the side of it, and you remove the steering wheel that way. Man, I'll havta' look at my 620's and see. Its been a while......
Steve@B&B
39'RC, 43'WC, 48'B, 49'G, 50'WF, 65 Big 10, 67'B-110, 75'716H, 2-620's, & a Motorhead wife
mnoonan-NEWI View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mnoonan-NEWI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2020 at 1:13pm
There are probably only a handful of people in the country that know how to do it without breaking it, but I am not one of them. You may inquire on the Facebook group:  https://www.facebook.com/groups/910185059072069/
AC CA, Ferguson TO-20, Ford NAA, M-M BG, AC #3 Mower, SC Plow, PH Digger, AC 720's with Ark 700 loader & Brantly Backhoe, "Mini B" w/flathead Ford V8
BrianC View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrianC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2020 at 3:41pm
Normal steering wheels have a cap you pry off, that reveals a nut, remove that nut and hopefully you can pull the wheel off.
The 620 steering wheel appears to have a cross bolt securing it to the steering shaft. Remove the bolt take and off the wheel? And then maybe, IF it does come off, pop it out from the shaft hole.
OK, why? My wheel center cap doesn't have a A/C logo on it, just plain smooth black.
I wanted to see if I could get one or make one.
Alternate idea of putting a round stick on decal may be the easy route.

So maybe when you get down to fussing about decals it may be time to stop and get a real project. Anybody have a basket case Minneapolis-Moline Five Star?
ShaunE View Drop Down
Bronze Level Access
Bronze Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ShaunE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2020 at 4:36pm
[QUOTE=BrianC]
Normal steering wheels have a cap you pry off, that reveals a nut, remove that nut and hopefully you can pull the wheel off.
The 620 steering wheel appears to have a cross bolt securing it to the steering shaft. Remove the bolt take and off the wheel? And then maybe, IF it does come off, pop it out from the shaft hole.
OK, why? My wheel center cap doesn't have a A/C logo on it, just plain smooth black.
I wanted to see if I could get one or make one.
Alternate idea of putting a round stick on decal may be the easy route.

So maybe when you get down to fussing about decals it may be time to stop and get a real project. Anybody have a basket case Minneapolis-Moline Five Star?

I have done this successfully but it will take some explaining of what I used.
In the fire service, ladders are attached to the sides of some engines & trucks.  When they are attached to the sides, they are held on with spring loaded "hooked" clamps.  over time, these clamps wear heavily on the aluminum rungs.  So stainless steel "arced" protectors are riveted to the rungs to protect the aluminum from the wear.
That being said, I use one of those rung protectors with a brass hammer to gently break through the epoxy that the cap is held in place with & gently pry it out.  You can not simply knock it out from the underside.  It's a tedious ordeal but worth it if you have an Allis center cap you want installed. 

Edited by ShaunE - 26 Mar 2020 at 4:46pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic