This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Degenerative disk

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2020 at 4:33am
Man O Man I hear ya!! Broken back(Dislocated) in 1977, dealt with opioids for a nearly a year when my own body built resistance to them and quit them. Have had incidents since and none fun where essentially compressed c4/5-c6/7, a few in the Thoracic region are damaged but standing tall, low back is a mess and I work thru a lot of stiff days, sore days, have learned my limits and try to stick to them. Mid sixties now, loads of Arthritis, hands, knees, back and shoulders from wrenching FOREVER, doing tough work no help, and am just about to that end where I have to slow a LOT or just give up the heavy work.
Sponsored Links

Dan Hauter View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan Hauter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2020 at 1:14pm
I've been going to a chiropractor for 7 years for degenerative disc disease and spinal stenosis.  We'll all get degenerative disc disease if we live long enough.  The chiropractor was successful in relieving pain in my neck and shoulders.  My MD recommended "Aleve" because it has Naproxen in it.  That's more powerful than ibuprofen.  When arthritis began to effect my hands my MD prescribed "Meloxicam" which was very effective with my hands and helps my back, shoulders, and neck, too.  Can't take Meloxicam with over the counter naproxen or ibuprofen. Ice packs help, too.  I bought some gel packs from my chiropractor and keep them in the refrigerator.  I also bought a back belt from my chiropractor which helps when I'm lifting or driving a long distance. Stretching exercises also help.  Spinal stenosis is arthritic changes to the spine.  Almost a year ago I started experiencing severe back pain.  Chiropractic was ineffective.  After my insurance company insisted on an x-ray of my back (which my MD said was useless), and a minimum of 12 sessions with a physical therapist or chiropractor, all out of pocket, the insurance company finally approved an MRI.  Then began the search for a competent orthopedic surgeon who wanted to treat a patient with diabetes.  I found Dr. Herbert Biel at BJC (Barnes, Jewish, Childrens) Illinois Medical Group in Belleville, IL.  While being coached through a review of my MRI, I could see what the problem is in my lower back.  L2, L3, L4, and L5 are full of arthritis build up and the arthritis is squeezing my spinal cord nerves, thus the lower back pain.  The solution is to have surgery and have those vertebrae cleaned out so there's no pressure on the spinal cord nerves.  However the insurance company insisted on steroid injections to help ease the pain.  The 1st set of injections were amazing.  I felt significant relief within a few hours.  Then the benefits started to wear off.  I've had the 2nd and 3rd injections since.  Never did get back to where I was right after the 1st injections.  But I'm better than I was before the injections.  At the end of December I was having stabbing pain down both legs almost to the point of making me quit what I was doing.  Now I have pain that is manageable and tolerable.  Stretching exercises and ice packs help a lot and the Meloxicam is helping.  The surgeon agrees with my regular MD that I should keep using the Meloxicam.  I go on Medicare April 1 which may put surgery back on the table.  (I also have Scheuermann's Disease which is a whole separate chapter.)  Hope there's some info. in this bio that helps!
Sugarmaker View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2020 at 4:08pm
Thad,
 Back off the work thing some how! Hope all the folks on here with cronic pain and back issues can see some improvement!
 Regards,
 Chris
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
Thad in AR. View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2020 at 6:10pm
Originally posted by Sugarmaker Sugarmaker wrote:

Thad,
 Back off the work thing some how! Hope all the folks on here with cronic pain and back issues can see some improvement!
 Regards,
 Chris

Chris I’m seriously trying. My occupation isn’t a good choice for my condition. It’s all I’ve ever done. I don’t know anything else.
I tell people my dream is sacking groceries at the local grocery store.
Gonna have a hard time giving up the $$$.
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2020 at 6:46pm
Cortesone, a steroid, will do much more harm than good in the long run. Sure first needle..ahhh.. this is great no pain. Then it wears off, 2nd one, ahh, that's better but doesn't last as long. After 4-5-6 you almost need it daily, to MASK the pain AND it does ZERO for the cause of the pain.
It actually will attack the body, several sites to read about that, making things worse in the end.
Kinda like turning up the car radio as the exhaust system rots out.....
I refuse to 'take the needle'. L3-4-5 are kinda shot, so Itry to stay limber, see chiro every 2 months,eat a little better...but NO drugs, NO pain maskers. When it hurts I STOP what I'm doing, give the old body time to rest and recupurate.
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
Sugarmaker View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2020 at 8:31pm
Really not sure how you guys suck it up and keep going. I had a blown disc between L4 and L5. Bulged out and was impacting my sciatic nerve. Entire left leg was not good. Standing was really the only relief. Tried the Chiropractor, made it worse. Then to therapy, made it worse. then to shots, nothing there. Could only sleep about 15-20 minutes on a stack of six pillows or crammed between the bed and a dresser. Could not shake it. tried the drugs no real effect. I just wanted to get some sleep! Finally got recommended to a good back doctor in Pittsburgh. Kids took me down in the back seat of the car. I was very fortunate that was all that was wrong, they sniped out the problem, and I try to be careful of what I lift now. 
I can relate a little, hoping you guys keep on keeping on!
Regards,
 Chris
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
johnkc View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnkc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2020 at 8:20am
Hey TimCNY  and all, I ordered and tried the Dr. Christophers cream and its working good for me. I am able to skip my afternoon Tramadol, still take the Tramadol in the AM.
The cream is a bit greasy all day long and has a light smell that reminds me of an alfalfa pill. leaves a greenish tinge on my T shirt.  
I support the development of hybrid automobiles and alternative fuels as I need DIESEL fuel for my ALLIS CHALMERS!
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2020 at 8:57am

Hey JC and JohnKC,,,,,I tried the hot link and get messages that the page has moved,,,,???  I'm interested,,!!
HD6GTOM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD6GTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2020 at 4:40pm
Ya I bought a new 10's unit at walmart. It's cheap but it works. But the idiots don't sell the pads separate. Ya gotta get them on line.
JC-WI View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JC-WI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2020 at 5:42pm
DJ, I don't know what the buck is happening, but I tried many different links that were suppose to go back to Dr. Christopher but finally had to start fresh looking for his links.
Here is Dr. Christopher's site... You can look around on there for other stuff too.

Here is his salve - Complete Tissue & Bone Formula 4 oz ointment
He who says there is no evil has already deceived himself
The truth is the truth, sugar coated or not. Trawler II says, "Remember that."
chaskaduo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chaskaduo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2020 at 5:52pm
This I found.

Dr Christopher's Formula Cayenne Heat Ointment, 4 Fluid Ounce

https://www.amazon.com/Christophers-Formula-Cayenne-Ointment-Fluid/dp/B000N36Z1M

Christopher's Muscle Pain Relief spray, 4 fl oz

https://www.amazon.com/Christophers-Muscle-Pain-Relief/dp/B000QBUF62

Hi JC

Edited by chaskaduo - 30 Mar 2020 at 5:52pm
1938 B, 79 Dynamark 11/36 6spd, 95 Weed-Eater 16hp, 2010 Bolens 14hp
JC-WI View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JC-WI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2020 at 8:52pm
Sure wish the young ones could have learned to work smarter and not harder and not think they were indestructible... Like 40-50- 60 years ago... Ermm  they might not be hurtin so bad these days.  LOL But try and teach the young tuff nuts that are now thinking the same the old men thought way back when, that ain't happening, then you have the pussyfied ones that prolly live a long time from not over stressin their lill delicat hands.

Hi to you to Chask, getting things back into rythm yet?
He who says there is no evil has already deceived himself
The truth is the truth, sugar coated or not. Trawler II says, "Remember that."
chaskaduo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chaskaduo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2020 at 9:32pm
No but better. Scheduled for April 7th.
1938 B, 79 Dynamark 11/36 6spd, 95 Weed-Eater 16hp, 2010 Bolens 14hp
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic