This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Garden Tractors
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

716 PTO issues

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JKrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 716 PTO issues
    Posted: 28 Feb 2020 at 5:40am
Hi everyone, new to the forum, first post.
I picked up a 716 last fall with a mower deck, snow thrower and tiller. It came with the snow thrower attached. The front PTO is always live so there's no turning off the thrower for starting or in case of emergency. Do any of you have pictures of what this should look like? Or know where to find parts?
Also, the belt keeps popping off the pulleys, quite frustrating. I did replace the old V-belt that was on it with a new Kevlar belt. Same problem.
If I could figure out how to post a picture, I would.
Sponsored Links

Steve in NJ View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Steve in NJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2020 at 7:22am
First, welcome to the forum! We're always lookin' for new family members!  The 716 is a great machine. One word for that puppy- "TOUGH".  We used ours mainly for pushing snow with the dozer plow we had, and that Kohler man, just get outta' the way! Never had a snowblower on ours, so can't help ya with that, but usually belts poppin' off sometimes is a alignment problem. I remember some of our forum members mentioning about switching over to Simplicity belts on their units where the belts didn't pop off. Possibly a different profile on the belt maybe? I don't know.  Sandy Lake Implement is a great place to go for parts for your 700 series. You want to talk to Brenda in parts. She's the best! I'm sure someone else can help you here better than me. Ours was a Hydro, not sure if your's is.  Good Luck!  You'll get it ironed out...
Steve@B&B
39'RC, 43'WC, 48'B, 49'G, 50'WF, 65 Big 10, 67'B-110, 75'716H, 2-620's, & a Motorhead wife
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve in NJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2020 at 7:26am
Here's the wife on our 716H pushin' snow. She loved that machine. We went larger and moved to a 620.

39'RC, 43'WC, 48'B, 49'G, 50'WF, 65 Big 10, 67'B-110, 75'716H, 2-620's, & a Motorhead wife
IBWD MIke View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IBWD MIke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2020 at 9:05am
Wow!! That is a beauty of a 716!! Don't blame you for moving up to a 620 but I would have had to keep the 716!
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve in NJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2020 at 12:28pm
Thanks! That thing runs as good as it looks. One of my nephew's has it at the present time and is using it at his house. It'll probably wind up coming back to us eventually.  He's looking at a larger machine himself. He has a nice heated garage he keeps it in. Throws a coat of wax on it once in a while for the Unk.. LOL!  Jo Jo had a ball with that thing in the snow especially because it has an electric lift on it. She's waiting for me to finish the 620 resto cause' that's gotta' loader on it. I also have a snowblower attachment for it that I'll be restoring this summer.
Steve@B&B
Dusty MI View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dusty MI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2020 at 5:02pm
I've got a 720 with a loader on it.
917 H, '48 G, '65 D-10 series III "Allis Express"
JKrew View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JKrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Feb 2020 at 2:50am
Can someone take a picture of the PTO side of the engine for me and post it or message it to me please?
ac fleet View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac fleet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Feb 2020 at 8:55am
I looked on Jacks small engines and a parts view is on there showing the exploded view of the parts. --- It looks like the same setup that my 917 has on it. ---- your clutch plates are stuck together. The unit sits out in the open under the platform and gets dirt/water/snow in it and rusts together. They  are not on the engine on  these models. All power drive units use the same clutch on them. snowblower belt goes to front, tiller belt goes to the rear jackshaft.
http://machinebuildersnetwork.com/
Mikez View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mikez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Feb 2020 at 10:42pm
Is your belt going to the front of the engine, is there a rod off clutch going up along the engine to the inside of frame and attach to a lever just above footrest in between dash an seat area.
ac fleet View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac fleet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2020 at 10:51am

This is the pto on these. The number 6 in pic. is the problem child for sticking shut.
716 and 917's have same set-up. Clutch is manual, over center type. not electric.
Mikez View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mikez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2020 at 1:34pm
Sonny your right but the early 700s did have a front clutch for snow throwers. Have to wait and see what he says on what he has. We have a 710 and 716 with the front clutch. Then they went to using the long belt back to what your referring to. I'll see if I can get a picture of the front clutch for you.
ac fleet View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac fleet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2020 at 4:34pm
o.k. Mike! This was the only thing they showed for the 716!-- I wasn't aware of different set-ups. Sorry.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic