This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Steam cleaning?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KYrod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Steam cleaning?
    Posted: 21 Feb 2020 at 8:34am
How do you recommend cleaning an engine still on the tractor? YouTubers suggest oven cleaner and pressure washing but I don't believe those methods will touch the kind of gunk I found behind my radiator?

If you steam clean do I need to rent a big unit or are there smaller/portable units that will do an OK job if I'm willing to spend a little more time?

I'm not running a big shop here and doing multiple tractors but may have other uses for a steam cleaner if I can get one cheap.

All recommendations are appreciated.
Sponsored Links

Michael V (NM) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Michael V (NM) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2020 at 9:12am
I have a hot water pressure washer, I think it will almost steam. the HOT water will take off a lot of crud, the one I have will peel the paint if ya don't watch it.
I found my washer as a used trade in at a place that sells them, its 220V 5 hp electric, I gave $1500, IIRC, and I use it a lot....

oven cleaner works too, but will not take off deep crud, it will also take paint off, if left to soak awhile.
victoryallis View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote victoryallis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2020 at 9:13am
When we bought our R62 it was steam cleaned by dealer. I don’t think it did the bearings any good.
8030 and 8050MFWD, 7580, 3 6080's, 160, 7060, 175, heirloom D17, Deere 8760
john(MI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john(MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2020 at 11:22am
You don't need a big powerful unit if you only plan on steam cleaning.  To get steam from a hot water pressure washer you turn the pressure down to near zero.  I had a nice sized unit mounted in the back of a van.  It burned diesel for the heat and used electric for the power.  It went up to a decent pressure, but you turned it to zero for steam.  Another tip for good cleaning is to use softened water, hard water works against you.
D14, D17, 5020, 612H, CASE 446
Dakota Dave View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dakota Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2020 at 2:26pm
We use a hot water pressure washer at the farm . Wash with simple green and rinse after it cleans our very dirty greasy tractors very well. At home I've used oven cleaner with a hot garden hose followed by the small 110 pressure washer it turned out very clean I did have to use a scraper a couple places. Down in the corners of the frame and engine. With both steam and pressure washers you don't want to shoot directly at any sealing surface. We used to steam clean at the garage I worked at it peals grease off nicely. I've been temped to borrow my wife's smal steamer but if I got it dirty I'd probably never get out of the dog house.
Allen Dilg View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Allen Dilg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2020 at 1:00pm
Hello KYrod    
Here is a novel idea. Get a cheap pressure washer Hook it up to the hot water heater and use the other ideas   Good luck
HD6GTOM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD6GTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2020 at 3:22pm
Anything is better than nothing. Father in law bought a medium sized unit. It was far better than oven cleaner or anything else he used. Then he left it sit in an unheated chop and it froze and broke the coils. His speciality was overhauling n Ford's.
Ed (Ont) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed (Ont) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2020 at 7:55am
Why is soft water better?
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2020 at 7:57am
maybe it's slipperier ??? Though I'd be using dishsoap to help get rid of the grime...
hmm..maybe float tractor down to carwash, pay $5-10 to clean it there ??
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
Dusty MI View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dusty MI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2020 at 8:10am
Originally posted by Ed (Ont) Ed (Ont) wrote:

Why is soft water better?

Because the lime in the hard water will stay behind in the boiler and plug it up.

Dusty
917 H, '48 G, '65 D-10 series III "Allis Express"
rw View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2020 at 12:39pm
https://gunk.com/product/gunk-super-concentrate-degreaser-1-gallon-sc3/

This product is one I have used for years and it is pretty good. Spray it on or brush it on. Either pretreat then use high pressure hot or cold water with one of the nozzles that rotate and shoot a pin steam. Or blow as much off with the pressure washer then treat and wash again. It makes a pretty good solvent to to lift the grease and oil out of the pores in the castings. 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic