This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Diesel Injector Tester

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Amos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Diesel Injector Tester
    Posted: 20 Feb 2020 at 10:42am
Can some one with knowledge about these tell me what is the in and out of them.  I see a bunch of what I think are chinese ones out there for sale but I see also an OTC one that seems really expensive and one made by Klein, but then I am assuming that there are different adapters for the different types of injectors.  Just trying to get a feel for what is a good one and what if any are better than the other ones.  Do they wear out over time and need repair and if so what ones can you find parts for?

Edited by Amos - 20 Feb 2020 at 10:43am
Sponsored Links

Boss Man View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boss Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2020 at 4:52pm
The 2 places I worked had OTC's. Think the one at tech school was OTC as well. Its basically just a diesel fuel pump with a gauge on it that tells you at what pressure the injector opened. It has a plunger with a seal on it that can wear with time. We had about 6 different lines that we used depending on the injector. 
Acdiesel View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Acdiesel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2020 at 6:25pm
i have an OTC, is been a good unit. In my opinion when it comes to tools like this you get what you pay for.

Dan
D19 diesel,D17 diesel SER.3 D14 NF,D14 WF, D15 SER.II wf
D15 SER.2 DIESEL,D15 ser.II nf
D12 SER.I, D10 Ser.II
2-720'S

Gmc,caterpillar
I'm a pharmacist (farm assist) with a PHD (post hole digger)
SteveM C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2020 at 10:33pm
My diesel guy is only 10 miles away....no way I'm messing with it
Amos View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Amos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2020 at 6:30am
I completely understand you Steve...but I have been getting terrible workmanship from both the shops 60 miles from me, they are the closest I have.  What I have a problem with, is I didn't used to get that kind of workmanship from them, and the bill for each job they did is, well lets say I can buy the new OTC machine and the set of adapters for it for the price of the last two injector jobs they did for me, and then I had to take them back, a couple times ad listen to how I put the engine together wrong, but when I got the injectors and pump back from them the second time, low and behold they engine ran right.  
injpumpEd View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote injpumpEd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2020 at 7:24am
I have several various testers. The best bang for the buck, and ebay availability, is the little OTC 4205, also marketed for Ford dealers saying Rotunda. You'll need an adapter kit, and texas parts has a nice set, unless you find the bacharach set, which should have the 9/16 X 18 ermeto which is what the AC injectors, and many other older tractors used. The other popular connections are 12mm X 1.5 and 14mm X 1.5. Pencil injectors also have unique adapter requirements. The bigger OTC 4200 is my main tester, and also sold through Cat dealers, but it's more expensive. Now, there's a lot more to rebuilding injectors than having a pop tester lol!
210 "too hot to farm" puller, part of the "insane pumpkin posse". Owner of Guenther Heritage Diesel, specializing in fuel injection systems on heritage era tractors. stock rebuilds to all out pullers!
Amos View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Amos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2020 at 10:26am
Thank you Ed.  

I am not really looking to rebuild them, just to find out what is going on, be it right or wrong with them.  If you know what I mean.
SteveM C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2020 at 11:52am
Originally posted by Amos Amos wrote:

I completely understand you Steve...but I have been getting terrible workmanship from both the shops 60 miles from me, they are the closest I have.  What I have a problem with, is I didn't used to get that kind of workmanship from them, and the bill for each job they did is, well lets say I can buy the new OTC machine and the set of adapters for it for the price of the last two injector jobs they did for me, and then I had to take them back, a couple times ad listen to how I put the engine together wrong, but when I got the injectors and pump back from them the second time, low and behold they engine ran right.  

I understand Amos. My past mechanical Cat had issues after a certified dealer put injectors in it.I ended up getting a manual and some Cat pump tools and fixing their screw up. It was a dog after they fixed it. They claimed new nozzles weren't dumping excess fuel so that's why. Turns out mechanic didn't set AFR control correctly after putting new diaphragm in. Book tells procedure and he didn't follow it....I watched him. To a while to figure it out and correct but ran GREAT afterward.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic