This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

D15 Series 1 Electrical system

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KYrod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: D15 Series 1 Electrical system
    Posted: 18 Feb 2020 at 7:23am
I'm finding, as no doubt many of you experienced guys have, that once you loosen a bolt on these things, it's difficult to convince yourself to "stop where you are".

With the radiator off and knowing I've got other mechanical issues to resolve, I'm thinking that I should consider redoing all the wiring.

Any recommendations regarding level of difficulty, cost, suppliers, and return on investment?

Also, and in the same vein, everything is really dirty behind that radiator so are there any small/cheap hand-held steam cleaners available for someone who is only going to do this one time?

See what I mean....where do I draw the line?
Sponsored Links

jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2020 at 10:33am
re: electrical
rule #1 replace 100% of ALL wiring
rule #2 READ rule #1 !

Contacat Steve@B&B for a 'kit'..if you're not comfortable spending hours playing with wires and connectors and 2 or 3 bandaids....

Jay
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2020 at 11:04am
I can count with no fingers how many wiring harnesses I've ever changed on any D-series.....zero....zip......nadda.  While you're at it, you just was well spend another $100 or more and install all new gauges too.  If everything is working, why do anything ???
Allis-Chalmers Damon View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Allis-Chalmers Damon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2020 at 11:35am
I have done some wiring/gauge work on my D14. It isn't overly complicated to do, just depends on how ambitious you are. I replaced all the gauges and corresponding wiring to each.   

I would recommend purchasing a service manual if you don't already own one. eBay has relatively cheap ones https://www.ebay.com/itm/ALLIS-CHALMERS-D15-D-15-TRACTOR-SERIES-II-SERVICE-OPERATORS-MANUALS-TECHNICAL/391643812967?hash=item5b2fca5467:g:cn0AAOSwnHZYQKQN

They have nice wiring diagrams that will get you out of trouble 
1955 WD45 Diesel, 1959 D14, All-Crop Drill, 2015 John Deere 5075e, New Holland 279 Haybine, New Holland 575 square baler, New Holland 1032 Stackliner, 10ft Industrias Disc, 6ft Titan grapple
Kenny L. View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kenny L. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2020 at 1:44pm
Originally posted by DrAllis DrAllis wrote:

I can count with no fingers how many wiring harnesses I've ever changed on any D-series.....zero....zip......nadda.  While you're at it, you just was well spend another $100 or more and install all new gauges too.  If everything is working, why do anything ???

Dr. I should've call you when I was working on my D-17 Had to put a different harnesses on, someone used all the same color wire thank god for Bill D.Big smile

Steve in NJ View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve in NJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2020 at 2:09pm
Thank you Jay for the referral. I can help ya out with pretty much everything you need even the gauges if you're interested. Stop by our website, e-mail us, or give me a call. Be happy to help ya out with anything electrical...
Steve@B&B
bb-customcircuits.com
customcircuits@gmail.com
39'RC, 43'WC, 48'B, 49'G, 50'WF, 65 Big 10, 67'B-110, 75'716H, 2-620's, & a Motorhead wife
KYrod View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KYrod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2020 at 4:40pm
Dr. Everything is NOT working. Once I get the radiator back on, I'll tackle the original problem which was losing power under load until it seemed the key was just turned off. After 20 minutes, I could get it started again and it would run fine for 2 minutes and then it would die like the key was turned off.

I replaced the coil and the voltage reg. Then I messed with the distributor and replaced the condenser and after that it wouldn't start at all.

Anyway, I'm just thinking that while I'm dealing with all this other stuff chasing a problem I can't find, maybe I should eliminate a wiring issue.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic