This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

10" Crapsman Table Saw

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Ken in Texas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 10" Crapsman Table Saw
    Posted: 13 Feb 2020 at 11:17pm
Bit the dust
     IT was one with the Flex Cable motor to arbor direct drive. The cable core twisted in two at the motor.
     Replacement drive cable is no longer available. What to do to make my saw cut like it was new?
    After hours  searching the net for a new or used drive cable and coming up empty I went to find a  USA company who manufactures Flex drive cables . Found Elliots in NY. Told them my problem. They make a Craftsman COPY and Gave me the number of a Ellliot Distributor in Indiana. Miller Machine. Called them and they have the cable core in stock.
     All is good so I thought I would share my experience with no longer available Sears Craftsman saw parts.  Not ready to scrap my Crapsman  Table saw just yet or attempt to convert it to a belt drive like most older saws were.
Sponsored Links

desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2020 at 2:34am

KEN,,,!!!  It good to hear from you after your silence in such a long time,,,,Clap Wisht I'da known,,,,I run across one of them drives a couple of weeks ago at my scroungin place,,,city dump,,!  The whole saw looked to be in good shape but I've always preferred the belt drive or I would of "picked" it for you. I'll keep an eye out for you tho,,,ClapClap
 I'm still kinda mad at myself for not pickin a BIG rider mower last week,,,it was an Arens, I think and had a tag "Made By John Deere" It had a big twin cylinder engine like bout 28 HP if I remember right. was real clean and was prolly just some little old something,,,,,
JoeM(GA) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeM(GA) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2020 at 5:01am
+1 Ken!, good to see your name pop up here!
Allis Express North Georgia
41 WC,48 UC Cane,7-G's,
Ford 345C TLB
Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2020 at 11:57am
NICE to hear from you again Ken!  I still have my Dad's ole Craftsman that is probably as old as I am.  He built the house with it and I was a baby at the time.  It is still a great saw!  I don't know about anything that is newer and I don't want to find out.
Yeah, on mine I was looking for the gear that raised and lowered the blade and tilted it.  This was a ways back, and couldn't find anything back then, do I don't think I could find a part for it now.
"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17
HD6GTOM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD6GTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2020 at 4:38pm
After building 3 houses and remodeling a few more my Craftsman saw also shelled out. It had a small gearbox between the blade and motor. I could not find a gearbox anywhere. Even called Sears parts. Nothing. It went to the scrap and I bought a new belt drive from Menards. Yes it's a China built saw, but the darn thing is so much better than the old Craftsman, I'm beginning to think I'm crapping in tall clover. Craftsman saw was new between 1986 and 1990.

Edited by HD6GTOM - 14 Feb 2020 at 7:02pm
FREEDGUY View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2020 at 5:03pm
Originally posted by Ted J Ted J wrote:

NICE to hear from you again Ken!  I still have my Dad's ole Craftsman that is probably as old as I am.  He built the house with it and I was a baby at the time.  It is still a great saw!  I don't know about anything that is newer and I don't want to find out.
Yeah, on mine I was looking for the gear that raised and lowered the blade and tilted it.  This was a ways back, and couldn't find anything back then, do I don't think I could find a part for it now.

Not sure how old you are, not even going to speculate; BUT; the Craftsman name went down-hill BIG TIME in the mid '80's as far as electrically powered "tools".
To the OP, look into Makita.
Ken in Texas View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken in Texas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2020 at 7:41pm
Not to worry guys. Not posting much of late. It's the Computer that gets sick and I'm still as healthy as any 79 year old could hope to be. The Cancer I had is gone for good. I pray everyday it never comes back.

I just finished a clone of Dad's first B. All correct vintage B parts. A 1939 hand crank job. Waiting for the blue decals. When I can get it started it sure sounds nice. I'm proud to have the correct rear rims stamped FIRESTONE. 3/4" bolt clamps and eccentrics and special clamps Used only in 38 and 39 on Bs.
    I will post pics one of these days if I can remember how. I turn 80 May 28
tadams(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tadams(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2020 at 9:43am
Sounds great hope to see the pictures.
Hubert (Ga)engine7 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hubert (Ga)engine7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2020 at 11:06am
Great to see you back on here, Ken. Praise the Lord that the cancer is gone. Just used my Crapsman table saw last week to build a lectern for a classroom at our church. Got a Crapsman radial arm saw that I haven't used in years but I can't find anyone that wants to give it a good home. 
Just an old country boy saved by the grace of God.
ac fleet View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac fleet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2020 at 11:20am
Great to hear from you Ken!
I have a saw like that only mine didn't come with the cable! ---Looks like it would be a nice attachment to have! I never checked into one cause I figured they would be extinct!
http://machinebuildersnetwork.com/
Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2020 at 5:57pm
Ken, hearing that you are cancer free is the greatest thing I have heard in years!!  After all you were through and the odd almost unknown type that you had.....WOW!!  Thank God!!  I've still got you in my daily prayers though.  I pray for EVERYONE on here, but some, like you, get extras. Thumbs Up Heart

Originally posted by FREEDGUY FREEDGUY wrote:

Originally posted by Ted J Ted J wrote:

Not sure how old you are, not even going to speculate; BUT; the Craftsman name went down-hill BIG TIME in the mid '80's as far as electrically powered "tools".
To the OP, look into Makita.
I'm a young 70 and so that saw is that old also.  EVERYTHING in it is metal, not one plastic part.  Oh wait, the cord to plug it in to operate is rubber.... LOL
"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17
Tracy Martin TN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tracy Martin TN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2020 at 6:01pm
Glad all is well! God Bless!
No greater gift than healthy grandkids!
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2020 at 7:36pm
I got that same old saw that TED has..... The "raise lower" was something like a 11/16 inch  thread rod  that runs inside a thread box part... Thread box was worn oversize, and the shaft was bad... None to be found... I bought 3/4 tap and reamed out the thread box, then got a 3/4 long bolt and cut / welded it into the original shaft. Looked kind of complicated to make on the lathe..... Got everything straight within maybe .010 inch... Seemed to work OK... Pain the ars to get it apart and back together... I dont lower the blade anymore. I "park "it up about 1.5 inch and push the rip fence up against it.. Lower or raise as needed for use... I use to lower it completely and then raise it back up everytime i needed it.......... TOO Much movement.. My dad bought it about 1955 ......If it last another 50 years i will be happy !! ( im 66)

Edited by steve(ill) - 15 Feb 2020 at 7:37pm
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2020 at 12:57am
I still have the table saw that Gramps used when he built the barns/corncrib/house/other out buildings with back in 1903. I saved it from the bulldozer push the stockholders instructed to. I cleaned it up and it still works, it's a belt drive, also have the truck it bolted to. glad to hear your cancer is gone, and you're back with us!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic