This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Another fine mess..

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dennis(IA) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Another fine mess..
    Posted: 04 Feb 2020 at 2:46pm
I got myself into. Last week I thought I would empty out my LP tank (camper size) that I was using as a portable air tank. Turned it upside down (had it propped up on a cart) and opened the valve. Out came rusty water and that horrible LP smell. The big mistake was that I did not have it outside, so it sprayed my WD45 that was inside my 30 X 40 pole building. Now it smells so bad in the building I can't work in there for more than 15 minutes or so. Now I open the doors every day and try to air it out with not much luck.

Any ideas on how to get rid of the smell??
Sponsored Links

john(MI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john(MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2020 at 3:47pm
Toss a match in there!Big smile
D14, D17, 5020, 612H, CASE 446
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2020 at 4:02pm
Soap and Water, LOTS of it.
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2020 at 4:23pm
re: Any ideas on how to get rid of the smell??
hmm, thought it was 'leftovers' from the Iowa Caucus ....
sorry, somehow it seemed 'right' though.....
open 2 windows, 1 fan sucks air in, another blows it out
you need to control 'fresh air in, stinky air out'...
more fans is better.

3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2020 at 6:04pm
Toss a skunk in there...Wink
Source: Babylon Bee. Sponsored by BRAWNDO, its got what you need!
FloydKS View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FloydKS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2020 at 6:51pm
theory is you put baking soda in the fridge to get rid of smells... SO how many boxed do you need to get rid of the smell in your shop...................
Holding a grudge is like taking poison and expecting the other person to die
JC-WI View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JC-WI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2020 at 12:21am
It will be years if it was more than a cup....
He who says there is no evil has already deceived himself
The truth is the truth, sugar coated or not. Trawler II says, "Remember that."
Walker View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Walker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2020 at 1:58am
A match is what I was thinking, maybe walk around with a flame thrower.
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2020 at 7:05am
Thing is....it ain't the gas that stinks, it's an additive.  Y'all know that I know, but that crap sticks to things for quite a while!
chaskaduo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chaskaduo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2020 at 8:33am
I read somewhere that peroxide wash on the spilled areas helps quite a bit. You need the 35% grade, and don't get it on your hands or bare skin, it will defat and oxidize the area on contact. Wear safety face shield or at least glasses also.

It is used for cleaning and disinfecting equipment. It is expensive, but you may be able to dilute it to a lower % with water and still have good results. Still need the safety cautions also.

Edited by chaskaduo - 05 Feb 2020 at 8:38am
1938 B, 79 Dynamark 11/36 6spd, 95 Weed-Eater 16hp, 2010 Bolens 14hp
Dennis(IA) View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dennis(IA) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2020 at 10:18am
Thanks guys, I did put a box fan in the window blowing out. There is enough air leakage around the big doors to let air in. Too cold to wash (+15f) anything. I think it was better today,or maybe to cold to smell.
john(MI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john(MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2020 at 11:39am
I had a car that got some wires burnt in it on time.  I took it to a cleaning place and they stuck some sorta machine in it that circulated something that took the smell away completely.  Maybe Google it.  I'm thinking an ozone machine may help as well.
D14, D17, 5020, 612H, CASE 446
SteveM C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2020 at 12:19pm
Yes John...an ozone generator....kills bacteria too
chaskaduo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chaskaduo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2020 at 12:58pm
Peroxide would be like the liquid version of ozone.
TimNearFortWorth View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TimNearFortWorth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2020 at 2:34pm
Mercaptan is the odorizer used in LPG, typically 1 to 1-1/2 pounds per 10,000 gallons mandated by law so you can smell a leak.
Absolute nasty stuff and sounds like continued air venting will be needed.
If it is hanging around, pie plates with old fashioned bleach placed around the building with closed doors will help, then air the building out again.

Had a buddy that vented a big tank for two months with all fittings removed, gonna make a large bbq pit out of it and it still smelled to high heaven.
Could see a small amount of residual fluid in it so rolled it over to drain it, big mistake as it was Ethyl Mercaptan and neighbors were calling in a "suspected gas leak", from a mile away.
Local jobber was called and he said they had a good chuckle before telling him to pour some gas on it and light it as that would get rid of it.

Apparently, a tiny amount goes a very long way, by design . . . . .
chaskaduo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chaskaduo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2020 at 4:41pm
The peroxide would not be for clearing odor in the air already, it would be for burning (oxidizing) up the residual mercaptan on the floor and tractor. That stuff is parts per million or billion stinky. Even when you wash out tanks, there is oily residues of it left, some into the metal grain. The cement floor is real porous, so I imagine there is a lot soaked in. With low temps it will take longer for that crap to fully volatize and dissipate. I hope the best for you. I wonder if one of those flame throwers used on a propane tank from Harbor Freight would work to burn it out of the cement if you don't heat a spot to much to cause surface fractures and blistering. Wouldn't try on the Tractor though. 

Edited by chaskaduo - 05 Feb 2020 at 4:42pm
Boss Man View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boss Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2020 at 5:44pm
Mercaptan is in the Genuis book of world recorded for the stinkiest stuff on hearth. Burning the oil that holds the odor is the best way.
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2020 at 11:01pm
what did ya learn? lol
chaskaduo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chaskaduo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2020 at 9:32am
Don't let Shammers  have any Mercaptan oil Exclamation

Edited by chaskaduo - 06 Feb 2020 at 9:33am
Dennis(IA) View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dennis(IA) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2020 at 10:11am
Yes, shameless I did learn something, but I will forget it in a couple of days.
JC-WI View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JC-WI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2020 at 10:54am
Chask, remember ol Shameless talkin about pingpong balls and shooting them out of a ?a blast cannon or something?  maybe we need to shoot them at his snow machine so he gags and his eyes water and that might keep him away from startin that machine back up for the rest of the winter?
He who says there is no evil has already deceived himself
The truth is the truth, sugar coated or not. Trawler II says, "Remember that."
Mnfarmboy View Drop Down
Bronze Level Access
Bronze Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mnfarmboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2020 at 10:59am
When I used to load rail cars with LP we kept a lot of bleach handy to kill the smell if we were unfortunate to spill any mercaptan.
chaskaduo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chaskaduo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2020 at 3:43pm
JC, there must be precision controls on them ping pong balls, Les would probably disown and remove anyone from his will that was involved if they hit to close to his place. Dead  But the idea is still maybe workable.

Edited by chaskaduo - 06 Feb 2020 at 3:44pm
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2020 at 5:28pm

Well,,Chask,,you know the prevailin winds kinda move from the southwest to the northeast,,,,and,,ole Shameless is kinda southwest from ole Les,,,,,??Wink
chaskaduo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chaskaduo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2020 at 9:00am
Well we'll have to scrap that idea.
tadams(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tadams(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2020 at 2:52pm
Well his ole snow machine has hit us, it started as freezing rain and changed to snow, we have a couple inches and it's supposed to continue into tomorrow
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic