This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Gun Safe?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Silver Level Access
Silver Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rustyorange45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Gun Safe?
    Posted: 03 Feb 2020 at 7:04pm
Any thoughts on who makes the best gun safe for the money? I was looking at a Liberty 1776 with combination dial for $1529 at Tractor Supply. They are on sale until March 29. Also looked at a Sports Afield Acadia at Menards for $999.99. Thanks for your input.
1953 WD45 WF/Model 90 Loader, Oxnard Rear Blade, 80R Mower, Model 209 Disc, WD Rear Mounted Scoop, Model 184 & 160 Rotary Mowers, 1952 CA NF/L306CA mower, 1953 CA WF/Model 8 Loader.
Sponsored Links

Thad in AR. View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2020 at 7:14pm
We looked at several and decided on a Liberty. Been very happy so far. Been about 2 years.
TMiller/NC View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TMiller/NC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2020 at 7:26pm
Bought mine at TSC, can't remember the brand has the digital lock, look at the fire rating as to which one will protect contents the longest.  I also bought a dehumidifier, which is a small heater that maintains the temperature just above ambient, prevents rust...

Had a problem with lock not unlocking, called a locksmith to come and fix it,  he said (while on the phone) needed to change the battery,  to which I replied just put in a new one, he said get a copper top duracell as it is the only battery that  will work because it doesn't have a current limiting circuit,  did as he said and it worked...  Tim
JC-WI View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JC-WI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2020 at 7:32pm
He who says there is no evil has already deceived himself
The truth is the truth, sugar coated or not. Trawler II says, "Remember that."
Hubert (Ga)engine7 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hubert (Ga)engine7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2020 at 8:38pm
Had a Liberty safe for about 16 years and have been happy with it. Mine is manual lock, no electronics. The church I was attending back then wanted a fire resistant filing cabinet to store some old documents but I talked them into getting a Liberty safe, better security and fire protection and cost was about half of what they wanted for a filing cabinet. Check the Liberty web site for dealers near you, you may find a better deal than the TSC sale price.
Just an old country boy saved by the grace of God.
Red Bank View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Bank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2020 at 8:39pm
I have a Cannon with the digital lock which I like because if I need to get in it I can fast. If I remember correctly the salesman told me the lock would hold the combination 10 years after the battery dies? I don’t want to try that though
klinemar View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote klinemar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2020 at 10:05pm
I have a Cannon with digital combination. 2 things I learned. 1 make sure you buy a big enough safe if you have scoped firearms as they take up the room of 2 guns. My 24 gun safe barely holds 12. 2 if you plan on putting the safe on the first floor make sure it is waterproof. Local Fire Chief told me most safes in a house fire fall into the basement where all of the water collects. If you don't have a basement no worries there! I put mine in the basement as that was where I decided I had the most space and strongest floor. Also it took 3 of us to get it in the basement with a cart so anyone stealing it would have to work hard to get into the safe or get it out of the basement!
john(MI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john(MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2020 at 2:51am
Don't know about safes, but the electronic locks need to change the combination every couple of years if you use it a lot.  The same numbers all the time will start to show up on the buttons.  We had a door lock at the office.  Every time you started it, it would move the numbers around.  That made the buttons you pressed different every time.

Rural King sells safes.
D14, D17, 5020, 612H, CASE 446
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2020 at 3:08am
Have Liberty and like it, just the old rolling tumbler but know the combination and have the original code card locked away outside the safe.
Thad in AR. View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2020 at 5:50am
I specifically wanted a manual lock. I thought electronic would fail or melt in a fire. If I had it to do over I would go electronic for quick entrance if you think you may need it.
rustyorange45 View Drop Down
Silver Level Access
Silver Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rustyorange45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2020 at 8:29am
I have looked around the internet and went to Bass Pro, Cabela's, Academy, Menards, Tractor Supply, Orscheln's, Race Brothers, and a local sporting goods store. The best deal I have found was the Liberty 1776 64 gun wjth a combination dial for $1529 @ TSC and the Sports Afield Acadia 48 gun with electronic lock for $999 @ Menard's. I know you get what you pay for, but I don't think I need a safe costing $2000 or more. Both safes were plenty big enough and will be bolted to a concrete floor. Fire rating was 60 minutes @ 1200* for the Liberty and the Sports Afield was 75 minutes @1400*. The Liberty looks like the more secure safe, even with a lower fire rating. Warranty looks good too. I plan on getting a dehumidifier and light kit for the safe as well. I just did not realize how many gun safe manufacturers there were. Thanks for your replies!

Edited by rustyorange45 - 04 Feb 2020 at 8:31am
1953 WD45 WF/Model 90 Loader, Oxnard Rear Blade, 80R Mower, Model 209 Disc, WD Rear Mounted Scoop, Model 184 & 160 Rotary Mowers, 1952 CA NF/L306CA mower, 1953 CA WF/Model 8 Loader.
wayne IA View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wayne IA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2020 at 11:54pm
Zanotti armor safes are nice, last one I bought was their 6' ZA3.  More money than what you're talking on the ones you listed, but you also get what you pay for.  Biggest feature of the Zanotti is the fact it is multi piece safe that pins together.  The heaviest part is the door, but the only tool you need for assembly is a soft faced hammer to knock the pins in.  I moved all the pieces in by myself and assembled it myself, would recommend help to hang the door though.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic