This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Pole barn build

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Levibridge95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Pole barn build
    Posted: 02 Feb 2020 at 10:37pm
So the weather is finally working with me instead of against me where I can proceed with my pole barn.
     How do y'all level out your post so they are exactly 10' tall from the ground?
      Due to my ground (rocks) some of my holes are only 28"-34" deep. I'm thinking filling it with concrete and placing brackets on top with rebar going down thru the cement on top then bolting my post to them. I have an idea to get them all the same height -/+ 1/4" is to place a pole in the middle at 10' then run a string with a level on it to each individual pole.
Sponsored Links

shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2020 at 12:01am
I have on a few small buildings...hung the roof rafters on and made them level, then cut off the posts accordingly.
john(MI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john(MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2020 at 2:29am
I just made a line on the post where the bottom of the post should be.  Then I ran a string and sank the posts so the mark on the posts lined up with the string.
D14, D17, 5020, 612H, CASE 446
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2020 at 6:12am
1) start with 16' poles, set them in real plumb !

2) attach laser level a on corner post with beam AT cutting height (10').

3) mark and cut 2nd post ....beam now shines to 3rd post

4) mark and cut 3rdd post ....beam now shines to 4th post

do NOT use string ! No way you call pull it TIGHT enough to be level. even Mason's String is only good for about 14'...
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
Thad in AR. View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2020 at 6:13am
Set all the posts and cut off in place. If you have a transit or laser put a line around the parameter as a bench mark. Doesn’t matter where so long as it’s level around the building. Then you can measure from that mark to cut off posts and to lay out for purlins.
Jim.ME View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim.ME Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2020 at 8:23am
Kind of old school but a water level will work. You can use windshield washer fluid in them instead of water if the temps are low. And they can work out of line of site. Just another option.
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2020 at 9:01am
YEP... just bolt the side plate and rafters into place... Then put on the perlons.. Anything that sticks up above the perlon gets cut off AFTER everything else is done.
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
bradley6874 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bradley6874 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2020 at 9:59am
Set a spinning laser in the middle make a level mark on every post measure up to the shortest pole top and set the plates to match shortest pole
You can wash the dirt off the body but you can’t wash the farmer out of the heart and soul
Levibridge95 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Levibridge95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2020 at 12:21pm
Hey thanks for the tips.
Dave in PA View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave in PA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2020 at 3:29pm
If you are into you-tube,  watch   RR Buildings,  Kyle is the man!  He builds pole buildings, and is about the best I have seen.  Very good work, very good at explaining what and why he does it. Might have to look back a few, but he goes over most everything, including insulation.

Edited by Dave in PA - 03 Feb 2020 at 3:39pm
Walker View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Walker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2020 at 4:50pm
Levi das der say, der stick long? Grab a chainsaw. Old Amish proverb. Schussell.
Dave in PA View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave in PA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2020 at 4:52pm
?
FREEDGUY View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2020 at 5:02pm
Originally posted by Dave in PA Dave in PA wrote:

?

Walker is clearly Amish LOL!! :-) Like said above, cut the posts off after the "ledger board" has been "dialed in" and fastened, FYI, the posts can protrude 2-3 inches above the ledger boards-don't need to be exact(post tops), just the ledger boards.
Levibridge95 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Levibridge95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2020 at 5:55pm
I didn't even think about getting them as close to level as possible and building the barn then cut the excess off. That would simplify things greatly. I tend to overdo things sometimes.
DougG View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DougG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2020 at 7:01pm
Yes that is great thinking for a pole barn build
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic