This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

How to treat a tree stump,,,,

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2020 at 9:10am

Well,,Jay you must know me by now,,,,,,WinkWink
I was just trying to do like you and get two birds with one rock,,,LOL, But,,I did read on one of the other forums that I bother is that the best method to mount an anvil is on a big "wooden" stump as it will absorb the kinetic energy transferred from the anvil and blows from your hammer of choice,,,,,,,,,Wink Wink
 Actually,,,an older gentleman told me the same thing and he had a BIG anvil bolted to a tree trunk in his shop. With some effort, you could walk it to other location. The stump was bout 24" round and bout 36" high. He asked me to hit the anvil with a 3# shop hammer and it was like one of those "dead blow" mallets as I did not feel the vibrations coming back at me,,,! So,,,the Mulberry tree donated its trunk for my anvil. I didn't really want to kill the tree, and if it starts sending up shoots,,I'll just trim em off. The trunk was bout 22" diameter and I cut it bout waist high to me and is flat across.
Sponsored Links

Ken in Texas View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Ken in Texas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2020 at 5:31pm
? was "How do you treat a tree stump?"   Treat them stumps with the respect they deserve.

Edited by Ken in Texas - 30 Mar 2020 at 5:33pm
allis g View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allis g Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2020 at 10:24pm
bore holes in the tree before you cut it down,  the tree reacts to the bore holes and sucks in the roundup  killed several trees that the tree huggers said I couldn't cut down because they were alive.
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2020 at 10:29pm
Joe...if'n you cut that trunk off and take it inside your shop, mount the anvil, and it should last your lifetime and someone elses. Gramps had his on one and it served him, my Dad and me until the stockholders got ahold of it.
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2020 at 5:15am

Yeah,,Shameless,,I had been slowly having to move some of my tools outside of garage cause I been runnin out of room inside and can't hardly get to my 55,,and I have made ole Joe a promise to finish up the projects I now HAVE to in order to get back on the car. "Tools" like my pressure washer, generator, chop saw, chrome polisher, bead blaster, the new Arc  welder and the spare mig welder and electric stove for  . So,,I'm just bout finished up on a 6 Ft X 22 Ft Lean to,,, I added to south side of garage to get em all out of the weather,,lookin real nice just need to install the  flashing between the add-on and garage roof.
 The Mulberry tree trunk, now cut to bout 40" high is gonna be perfect for when I bolt the anvil on it and right in the center of the lean to,,,,Clap
 I have upset some people cause I raised my flat rate to $70/hour to discourage any more government jobs,,,but it is what it is,,I guess,,,,,Chit,,the 3 local dealers get $128/ hour so I figure I should be worth half of their price,,,,,LOL
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2020 at 6:06am
gee, I need to 'outsouce' jobs to you DJ ! Only $70. I charge $100 just to try to get rid of the business( rather work on MY stuff...). Most everyone here is north of $120 / hr for ANY trade.
 That's one BIG tree you had....Biggest one here was 8-10" with LOTS of runner-babies. I'm guessin the grounds pretty dry and the stump won't rot or get ants in it too soon ?
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2020 at 9:51am

Well,,Jay,,IF and that's a big IF,,I still get jobs I do not want I will shoot em a price of bout $94.33/ hour,,,that'll make em run,,,,,LOL With my almost full time job tryin to take care of the wife,,,I ain't got time to do chit or enough time to even pay attention,,,, Wink
 Yeah,,the trunk is that big,,I think cause I trimmed it back 3 -4 times and it just kept growin bigger and faster every time.

Well,,I'll be,,,just yesterday I was using the top of the trunk to lay my hand tools on and I did notice some red lookin ants coming out of a crack in the side of the trunk,,,,so I hit em with some Home Defence,,,theyClap was gone a little later,,,,
chaskaduo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chaskaduo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2020 at 10:05am
Them little Sugar Ants or them nasty fire Ants? Stepped in passel of em in a field in Georgia once, northern boy learned about em right away.
1938 B, 79 Dynamark 11/36 6spd, 95 Weed-Eater 16hp, 2010 Bolens 14hp
Ray54 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2020 at 11:10am
WinkWinkWinkWinkWink
Originally posted by desertjoe desertjoe wrote:

Clap
 I have upset some people cause I raised my flat rate to $70/hour to discourage any more government jobs,,,but it is what it is,,I guess,,,,,Chit,,the 3 local dealers get $128/ hour so I figure I should be worth half of their price,,,,,LOL

Wink You smooth talking son of a gun. Being able to lay it out like that LOLLOLLOL  you could of been a billionaire. Wink If you would of got in politics when you where younger.LOL 

In a more serous line hope the ants don't taking over your work space,and the old stump servers you well.
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2020 at 4:44am

Well,,,Ray,,,they is still time,,ain't there,,??  Most polyticians are older than I am today,,,, Fact is,,,,,,ole Joe B is some older than I am and,,,,and,,,I do Not forget as much as he does,,!! AND,,,I'm to dang honest to be a real politician,,,chit,,I'd always be wantin to share all the graft and under the table givins with everybodyand,,,,and,,I ain't worth a chit at tellin lies,,,,,,,LOLLOL
 HMmmmmmm,,,mayhaps you might have something to think bout, tho,,,,,Wink
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2020 at 4:56am
how the heck is Les gonna call you a "shade tree" mechanic now that you cut the danged tree down?
chaskaduo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chaskaduo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2020 at 7:26am
But Joe if you was to be a polytickson, we would have to change your moniker to DESERT-RAT, and that just ain't you. Wink
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2020 at 9:37am
Originally posted by shameless dude shameless dude wrote:

how the heck is Les gonna call you a "shade tree" mechanic now that you cut the danged tree down?

LOLLOL,,,,You know,,Shameless,,I really worry bout ole Les,,,,I miss his great "Old Fashioned" and down to earth ways... I believe I'll call him today,,just to touch base,,,,maybe I'll "poke" him enough,,he'll want to get on here and get back at me,,,,,,WinkWink
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2020 at 9:40am

Well,,Chask,,I'd certainly have to buy another house or at least a much bigger one,,,you know,, to hide all the money that'd be given to me,,,,,Wink
chaskaduo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chaskaduo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2020 at 11:06am
I stand corrected. LOL
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2020 at 11:51am
wanna borrow my stick? oh....wait....cancel that last statement...you'd never gives it back to me and then....no...use yer own stick!
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2020 at 1:28pm
Originally posted by jaybmiller jaybmiller wrote:

gee, I need to 'outsouce' jobs to you DJ ! Only $70. I charge $100 just to try to get rid of the business( rather work on MY stuff...). Most everyone here is north of $120 / hr for ANY trade.
 That's one BIG tree you had....Biggest one here was 8-10" with LOTS of runner-babies. I'm guessin the grounds pretty dry and the stump won't rot or get ants in it too soon ?
So, in other words, you charge the exact same?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic