This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

lubrication of track rollers?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scooper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: lubrication of track rollers?
    Posted: 31 Dec 2019 at 9:11pm
HD 16 cable dozer
Question. bottom track wheels have no grease zerts or plugs
only way I can see how to lubricate is to work a grease needle into bearings 
Any other suggestions?   
Sponsored Links

JC-WI View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JC-WI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2019 at 10:44pm
No grease zerks or plugs?
 Some had button zerks like this,

Some used a plug at the end of shaft and put a tube in that screwed inside the shaft and pumped oil in until it flowed clean around the tube...

and others were just simply lifetime sealed rollers and when they went dry, their life was basically used up and you replaced them, or rebuilt them.
He who says there is no evil has already deceived himself
The truth is the truth, sugar coated or not. Trawler II says, "Remember that."
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2020 at 4:56am
Some also used a square drive plug, the plug was located on the wear surface of the roller, smart, huh?Wink
Source: Babylon Bee. Sponsored by BRAWNDO, its got what you need!
Ray54 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2020 at 1:59pm
When did AC go from 1000 hour greasing of rolles to sealed for life rollers.

And sealed for life Cat rollers will live a second life time if you add cornhead or other lite grease as soon as you see a leak. The one I did not grease last 2 or 3 days before it was junk.

scooper View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scooper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2020 at 8:48pm
When I dismantled the junk roller the shafts had no grease channels drilled in them
Therefore they must have been lifetime sealed.
I think I have a method to grease these lifetime sealed rollers 
I will post if I am successful   
Ray54 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2020 at 3:32pm
I took a plug from a junk Cat roller drilled for a grease fitting and pumped it full.
scooper View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scooper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2020 at 9:32pm
That's what I did 
First picture shows the space between the bearing races of a dismantled roller 

scooper View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scooper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2020 at 9:41pm
I will try to post sequential pictures
first picture shows area between bearing races on a dismantled roller 
second picture shows where I drilled hole for grease fitting this can be done with roller still on machine 
I drilled and tapped for a grease fitting on a non contact portion of the roller
Used pneumatic grease gun 1 and 1/2 tubes of grease 
Removed grease fitting 
Sealed with socket type pipe plug  
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic