This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

1951 Model D Grader

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wn willis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1951 Model D Grader
    Posted: 06 Dec 2019 at 1:06pm
Still looking for a creeper gear for my Model D Grader.
Sponsored Links

ac fleet View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac fleet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2019 at 1:30pm
My D is also a 51,--no creeper in it either. I have been told that finding one is totally out of the question, sad but dont think many of them ever came out with creeper since it was a option. Good luck on your search! -- still passing the word, ( not gonna put one in mine!)
http://machinebuildersnetwork.com/
wn willis View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wn willis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2019 at 4:27pm
I probably won`t find one either. Have a current problem that I have not been able to solve; engine is misfiring. I changed plugs, wires, points. Checked timing, everything I can think to do, Still no joy. Number 1 plug gets heavy carbon. Even installed a new distributor, thought the cap might be cracked. Adjusted the carb, still nothing. Any ideas? The engine is a 1955 A/C 4 cyl WD 45 Ser.# 211549
I have a power unit engine (W226) that I am thing of getting rebuilt and install it in the grader. My grader serial number is D 1514.

Edited by wn willis - 15 Dec 2019 at 4:35pm
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2019 at 4:40pm
Run a compression check, then with piston at TDC with valves closed put a little air to that cylinder and find where it comes out. Burnt valve, bad intake leak, bad rings? All possibles

Edited by DMiller - 15 Dec 2019 at 4:40pm
Ages Cat View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ages Cat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2019 at 5:02pm
We had a problem with our D after we had restored it. Running, missing, etc. I removed all of the new wires and coil and used the old ones and it runs fine now. Don't trust new offshore parts.
Curt Anderson
HD3, HD5B, HD6E, HD6AG,HD6B dozer, I-400, 615, 616,(2) 620, 720, ACP25 lift truck, 1956 D Special Grader, AC 540 loader, AC 655 crawler loader, AC #84 plow, Simplicity lawn tractors.
DonBC View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonBC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2019 at 6:06pm
My D grader would foul #4 plug at times. Compression was not great so I took the head off. Valves were bad. Got the head fixed up and the compression improved a lot but when the head was off the ridge around the top of the sleeve suggested the rings and sleeve work could help as well. #4 sleeve had a scratch in it that could suggest a broken ring but I never did do an over haul. After I installed electronic ignition, the hotter spark seemed to keep #4 clear.
Jack of all trades, master of none
ac fleet View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac fleet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2019 at 2:16pm
Mine fouls the plugs too. I just assume that the engine is worn out. It has had a ruff life with no care or service work done to it. ---- mine starts hard too, low compression is probably the reason for that. It moves a lot of dirt for being a little guy and I don't crowd it. we take small bites and make extra passes.
http://machinebuildersnetwork.com/
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic