This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoughts about Auctions charging buyers fee

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary Burnett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2019 at 4:11pm
Originally posted by jaybmiller jaybmiller wrote:

buyer's premiums  are like carbon taxes, getting something( OUR money) for nothing.
I've yet to see any real 'deals' up at Bryan's Auctions, though you have to look online before it closes.After that the sold prices disappear,wondering hmmwhat did that actually sell for ?
Pretty soon they'll want a buyer's bidding fee, say $15 just to get in !

At some auctions i go to I wish they did charge admission,would weed out all the guys that crowd right up to the auctioneer and never bid on anything.
Sponsored Links

PeteMN View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PeteMN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2019 at 6:21pm
There's an auction company near Osseo, Mn that used to charge people to get in.  They would get a bunch of cheap Harbor Freight type chinese tools, electric cords, etc.  They'd get people to bid the item up to more than it cost and then they'd say "sold", who else wants one for that price?" and hand out a dozen of them to the people who figured that as long as they were there they might just as well buy something.  They'd have a few name brand industrial items that they probably brought in to draw in bidders.  More than likely they had a few shills in the crowd to bid people up and to buy the name brand items back.  My brother said one trip to see that circus was enough, he wouldn't have gone in the first place except our BIL just had to go to that "tool" auction.  
rw View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2019 at 7:30pm
I bought a couple pieces at an auction 25 years ago and the auctioneer took his percentage right there as I was settling for my items. He took a few of the checks and some cash and left the seller with the rest. That is what I saw happen and it sure seemed odd. Maybe it is a common practice or didn't understand what i saw. It made a lasting impression for sure.

Ray54 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2019 at 12:55pm
Wink Jay be careful what you think LOL the lazy but gready are always looking for new ways into your and my pocket. Wink Who knows who is eves dropping on your thoughts.LOLLOLLOL

Well I guess it has not gotten to where you have to pay to look.Wink But a add I saw said "BIDDERS NUMBERS $100 refundable with purchase". Nothing like a little more pressure to buy to get your money back.LOL

Cannot say paying as a buyer makes me want to go buy. Wink But if the price is right it's still a deal. But if they don't advertise it before hand..................that is crooked Wink probably a law against it.
ACCURT View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ACCURT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2019 at 4:06pm
There is a auction company near where I live that has online bidding and you need to have a credit card set up online before you could bid on any item,and they charged $1 each time you bid regardless if you had the high bid or not! What a bunch of crooks!They changed that policy not long after. I'm guessing they had to if they wanted to stay in business!
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2019 at 6:13pm
I went to a consignment sale, today, about 60 miles away.  Main reason I went, was I had a road grading job to look at, nearby.  Farrell auctions just lost me from any future auctions they may have...

Strike 1:  Wrong town listed, in the address.
Strike 2:  Didn't advertise that they had a buyers penalty.
Strike 3:  Didn't start on time, with the 4-7 auctioneers, like the ad stated.

I have weeded them out, from my existence...Wink
Source: Babylon Bee. Sponsored by BRAWNDO, its got what you need!
John (MO) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John (MO) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2019 at 9:30pm
I have no problem doing the math to figure how much I have to reduce my bid to not go over the maximum I've set for myself on an item. The less people that show up for an auction the better for me as a buyer. I wish no one else would ever go to one of those crooked auctions, the deals would be much better for me.
ryanschott View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ryanschott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2019 at 10:26pm
i Also don’t like when an auctioneer will bid against you so they can sell it at there farm lot
TimNearFortWorth View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TimNearFortWorth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2019 at 5:56am
I want to hear a number as they go when I attend an auction.
Seems more and more have auctioneers that are more interested in confusing everyone with "BBBBZZZZZZZZZZZZZ" jibberish so you can't tell where they are currently at, then, "SOLD!". Urks me when you see the same folks at these auctions continuously and it doesn't take long to figure out the shills or the house taking care of their buddy buyers when something barely get's started and it's "sold!" within 30 seconds.
It is worse at cattle auctions IMO and I stopped the bidding on 8 young heifers and a couple cows I ran thru an auction house just yesterday.
Pi$$ed em' off when I shouted to stop and show everyone just who had the last bid, and they couldn't on a group of five of mine in the arena.
Had a good chat with the auction house owner after the sale (behind closed doors in his office) and I told him it stops or I would not be bring anymore cattle to his place.
Let him know that folks were shaking their heads and laughing up in the stands, and that he needed to hire an auctioneer that didn't sound like he had a vibrator in his mouth as you had no idea where the numbers were or what animals actually sold for.
Also let him know that I knew his folks were bidding and he admitted he had bought a number of my animals himself for his own personal ranch.
He apologized and deducted all fees on my invoice for yardage, chute, preg check and aging, then had the office cut me a new check.
At equipment auctions, I tend to walk when they get nasty in their tactics.
Auction Time had numerous people calling me during the last 30 minutes of an online auction for a late 185 a few years ago, "you need to bid again or you are gonna let it get away!".
Done with those clowns, never again.
IBWD MIke View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IBWD MIke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2019 at 9:07am
Originally posted by ryanschott ryanschott wrote:

i Also don’t like when an auctioneer will bid against you so they can sell it at there farm lot

Not a fan of that either! Have a couple of auctioneers in central Ia. that if an item won't start where they think it should tell their clerk, "mark it to me". Pretty phony if it is an 'absolute' auction.
Sugarmaker View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2019 at 10:32am
Folks,
I attended a household auction for a family member. I seen a wood stove in the corner of the garage. Sale was about over and the stove still set there. I asked the auctioneer about it and he said "Oh I was saving that for one of my helpers that wanted it!" From then on I labled him as a crook, and told every one I knew also. 

I also remember a auction he was doing for a friend.
The day was a scorcher and these hand tools were setting in typical old shallow carbord boxes in the hot sun, and were handed up to him to sell as a package deal. I seen him more than once reach in and grab up a tool, just to drop it like a hot poker in a second, and say "dam that's hot!" Not sure he was the sharpest of the local auctioneers!

He is now dead! I think where he went, the tools are always HOT!

Regards,
 Chris

D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
OldAC View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OldAC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2019 at 11:59am
One thing that really annoys me is auctioneers around here are starting to charge SALES TAX!!!!  They are just an agent for the private seller or estate. I won't go to a sale that does.
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2019 at 12:07pm
sales tax... yup, up here it's 13% compounded on top of the buyers premium on top of the 'sold' price. ALL businesses HAVE to charge it.....
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
ac fleet View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac fleet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2019 at 2:10pm
Byers fee???----sonny goes back home!! F*&# them bastards!! --- Made a few guys mad, but I don't care.
First auction that I ran into this crap, I had went to pay up on purchase when lady starts talking bout adding "byers fee" to the total amount!--I then hit the desk with my fist and told her to cancel the order , and turned to walk out!---one of the auctioneers saw the scene and told her that I was exempt! ---NEVER went to another one of their auctions!
If they cant live on what they get, then get out of the auction business!
http://machinebuildersnetwork.com/
DougG View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DougG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2019 at 4:36pm
Back in the day an auctioner used to mean something- as a law abiding citzen,, now they are just back stabbing crooks
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2019 at 5:59pm
Know what's worse than tax on your bill?  Tax, on the buyers penalty.  In MD Labor is not taxed, so technically, they should be charging tax on the amount that you bid, not what you bid plus the buyer's penalty, and then the tax on top of that!  You can bet that they are pocketing the difference!Hug
Source: Babylon Bee. Sponsored by BRAWNDO, its got what you need!
victoryallis View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote victoryallis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2019 at 6:13pm
Originally posted by OldAC OldAC wrote:

One thing that really annoys me is auctioneers around here are starting to charge SALES TAX!!!!  They are just an agent for the private seller or estate. I won't go to a sale that does.

Who?

Sykora doesn’t on farms, last I knew Sheridan and Schrader don’t.   While since a Medema sale for me.
8030 and 8050MFWD, 7580, 3 6080's, 160, 7060, 175, heirloom D17, Deere 8760
victoryallis View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote victoryallis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2019 at 6:15pm
Originally posted by DougG DougG wrote:

Back in the day an auctioner used to mean something- as a law abiding citzen,, now they are just back stabbing crooks

Examples of why or are you upset because it’s not done your way?
8030 and 8050MFWD, 7580, 3 6080's, 160, 7060, 175, heirloom D17, Deere 8760
DougG View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DougG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2019 at 7:08pm
Nope just an observation, as they pull bids out of the sky , a flick of a cig,, its a joke=====ILARIOUS RESPONSE,, as I do most of business thru CL and AT AND BI auctions sites,, and I make it done my way   

Edited by DougG - 08 Dec 2019 at 7:10pm
Gary Burnett View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary Burnett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2019 at 7:56pm
Originally posted by OldAC OldAC wrote:

In Virginia the state has a list if what is and what isn't taxable,auctioneer has no choice but to collect sales tax if the item is taxable or the buyer is not tax exempt.I'm tax exempt on
some farm items because I farm and file a Federal Income form F,if a person doesn't farm they have to pay the sales tax.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic