This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Dropped bolt into wet clutch housing

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Dropped bolt into wet clutch housing
    Posted: 09 Nov 2019 at 6:28pm
Well one of the bolts that holds the locking tab for adjustment of my wet clutch is missing. Must have backed out when i bumped the motor over. Only three or four threads were engaged.

I looked at the parts manual but i can't see if there is a screen between the clutch housing and the oil sump. Thinking that maybe i can snake my hand in through the access hatch for the oil reservoir over to the bottom of the housing and grab the bolt.

Any better ideas.

Leo
Sponsored Links

DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2019 at 6:31pm
Old trick, Magnet tied to a Speedometer cable or something as flexible. I use a mechanical fingers tool with a magnet firmly taped to the head, flexible but stiff enough to get where needed.
Leop View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2019 at 10:26pm
I tried that first and can't seem to catch it. Plus the magnet keeps sticking to other stuff. Feels like pushing a wet noodle.

I'll try somthing stiffer like a spedo cable though!
Leop View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2019 at 5:47pm
Well,

For those that are interested I can verify that you are able to take off the plate that holds the pickup for the wet clutch sump and reach your hand into the sump where you can then curl your fingers maybe an inch or two into the flywheel housing. However this will not leave you with much confidence that what you seek to find is or is not there.

If you have a seven year old (which I do) and are able to convince the little tike to reach his hand into the sump and then into the flywheel housing then you can get much further in to search.

The important part of the above described procedure is to wash said kid's hands, arms, and elbows before be runs into the house, oil flying everywhere, and tugs on mom's favorite dress with his oily hands to tell her that he had lots of fun "doing dangerous stuff" with dad. I was not successful with this last step

If both seven year old and father are not sucesfull in locating the lost nut then go to the box where you have been keeping all the bolts you removed in the course of the job and check it one more time. In my case this was the solution.

...stupid..Gd...forsaken...son...of...a.......tractor...............

Thanks for all the good ideas guys.

Leo

Edited by Leop - 11 Nov 2019 at 6:09pm
DanWi View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DanWi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2019 at 6:23pm
Boys will be boys having fun getting dirty.
Leop View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2019 at 10:58pm
Dan, are you talking about me, or my son ?

TramwayGuy View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TramwayGuy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2019 at 9:07am
When I was a young lad, I was the one who got to replace the shear bolt on the IH 45-T hay baler, simply because my hand would go in to where the bolt went.
I can relate.
Ray54 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2019 at 3:18pm
Wink You could of started with cute little girl in pink.LOL My Wonderful had a bit of sympathy as she had been her grandfathers little helper,but not that much. I heard about for years. 
Leop View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2019 at 6:40pm
Good for you Ray.

Pink or Blue, I am fairly sure that sticking both hands into a vat of used motor oil and then running into the house is a kids dream come true.

Why should little girls miss out on all the fun?
Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2019 at 8:41pm
Took me a couple years to brake my son into working in shop - he liked hanging out there but when I asked to get something he would say NO IT'S DIRTY - Mom doesn't want me to get dirty --- learned matho out in shop also get me the wrench withthe 7 line and 16 on it , now get me the socket with the 3 and 4 from the 3rd drawer 

Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2019 at 6:18am
Helped raise neighbor's daughter years ago, she became a School Trained Mechanic. Did not stick with it though as health issues knocked her down but still carpenters with the big boys. Her Mom and Dad never did forgive me for her First ever Mickey Ds happy meal or getting her filthy work helping on my old machines.
Dusty MI View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dusty MI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2019 at 9:47am
Back in the 50's our neighbor was combining for us with his tow behind green machine. He had a son that was a year or so younger than me, but I was the one that crawled inside that green thing to insert a bolt.

Dusty
917 H, '48 G, '65 D-10 series III "Allis Express"
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic