This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

WD transmission type

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fleeter allis fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: WD transmission type
    Posted: 18 Oct 2019 at 5:55pm
Hi. I am thinking of getting a WD sometime soon and have been doing a bit of research and watching for a good one at a good price. As I understand it, the earlier models had a sliding gear style transmission and a straight gear shifter, and the later tractors, after S# 127008 in 1952, went to a constant mesh style transmission with a curved shifter.

Can anyone tell me the pros and cons of the two types? I assume that the constant mesh, being the later version, must be better, but in what way? Should I hold out for a model with the upgraded transmission, all else being equal?

It sounds like the later tractors, after S# 136318 also went to distributor ignition, which again, being the later version, must have been considered better that the old magneto.

It looks like most of them were produced with the older transmission and with magneto ignition, so there is a larger pool to pick from I guess. If I do get one, it will just be a pet to play around with - no field work expected.

Thanks for any advice.
Sponsored Links

Phil48ACWC View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Phil48ACWC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2019 at 7:21pm
The later curved shifter trans has helical cut gears which are quieter and more durable than the earlier straight shifter with straight  cut gears. The later curved shifter trans was also used in the more powerful WD-45 tractor.  
Phil48ACWC View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Phil48ACWC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2019 at 7:24pm
The distributors work great with a Pertronix electronic conversion. I've been running this set up for 3 years now with no issues.
Bill_MN View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill_MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2019 at 7:41pm
If you're not going to use for field work, I'd say the trans isn't going to make much difference. I have a WD with the earlier straight shifter and it works nice. The later constant mesh with the curved shifter, if it has been abused in the past, tends to have more popping out of gear issues, and shifter end wear due to the weight of the shift lever hanging to the side. Not too bad to fix though. The distributor is a little easier to deal with but will have more electrical components and will need a battery to run whereas a mag you can start if no/dead battery. In any case it is still a WD one of the most durable reliable tractors ever built!
1951 WD #78283, 1918 Case 28x50 Thresher #76738, Case Centennial B 2x16 Plow
Sugarmaker View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2019 at 8:44pm
Fleeter,
Welcome!
 I have had 5 WD straight shifters and one WD45 curved shifter. I like them all! But the old straight shifter is a good machine! I would look for wear points as much as the actual machine type. A tractor with low hours and less wear may be a better long term toy than one that has the later shifter but is worn out in a lot of areas. BTDT. I traded away a very low hour WD for a very Worn out WD45. Some days we live and learn!
Lots of folks on here to help you.
On the wear areas:
 Look at the cross hatch on the brake pedals is it still there? If not many hours of farm work happened on this tractor!
Grab the brake pedals, the clutch pedal, and the hand clutch, and wiggle all them side to side. Lots of play means lots of hours!
Look at the steering shaft where it goes through the support. Is the hole wallowed out or the steering shaft very worn? Again lots of hours in the dusty fields.
Look under the tractor for oil leaks on the ground and or on the underside of the tractor. Leaks mean seals may need replaced.
Check for brakes or lack of. Look for the brake hold back springs peeking out of the front and rear of the casting holes. If they are there its a good sign. Brake jobs on these can be a medium sized job!
Some of the straight sticks have a lot, I mean s LOT of gear whine, if they have been used hard!  I have one that screams!
Drive the tractors your looking at. Try all the gears and reverse! 
How is the hand clutch does it have good snap when you push it out and does it have some resistance when pulling it back i?
Tires are worth as much as the tractors now. New tires all around and rims can set you back $2k. Check the rear rims, around the valve stem for rust or rot from calcium filling. 
Hope a little bit of this helps. Also do you want a narrow or a wide front end? They made a lot of these tractors! Many to choose from. Take your time. There is a very good one near me for around $2K.

Good luck with your hunt!
Regards,
 Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 18 Oct 2019 at 8:54pm
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2019 at 8:45pm
Late model trans has a slower 1st gear and a faster reverse and faster road gear. 2nd and third are the same ratio.

Edited by DrAllis - 18 Oct 2019 at 8:45pm
fleeter allis fan View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fleeter allis fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2019 at 8:56am
Thanks Chris. Those are excellant suggestions, especially on the wear points. You are right, they made a lot of WD's and they are pretty common in my area, but I prefer a wide front, and there are fewer of them to choose from. I would also like a WD45 some day, and it would have the transmission with the curved shifter, so maybe I will end up with one of each hopefully. Thanks.
fleeter allis fan View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fleeter allis fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2019 at 9:08am
Really? That is good to know. I did not know that. Are the speeds on the later WD's the same as the WD45's, or is that different again? A book I have lists speeds for WD at 2.5, 3.5,4.75,9.0 and 2.0 for reverse with standard 11X28 rear tires. For WD45, it lists 2.4, 3.75, 5.0, 11.25, and 3.25 for reverse with 12X28 tires.
Brian G. NY View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian G.  NY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2019 at 9:27am
Originally posted by DrAllis DrAllis wrote:

Late model trans has a slower 1st gear and a faster reverse and faster road gear. 2nd and third are the same ratio.

Doc,

Does this mean that the power for fourth (road gear) in the helical cut gear tranny is transmitted thru the countershaft gears rather than a direct lockup of the input and output shaft as is usually the case in these old transmissions.
This is the only way a faster road gear than the WD straight cut tranny could be attained by virtue of the transmission in itself.
I looked at the parts diagram but I couldn't figure out exactly how fourth gear is engaged.
I always thought that the reason for the higher road speed on the WD-45 was due to a lower ratio (higher speed) differential. 
Years ago, you posted here that the WD rear end ratio was 3.58:1 vs 3.31:1 for the WD-45. I kept that info and placed it in my manual.
Sugarmaker View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2019 at 11:37am
Originally posted by fleeter allis fan fleeter allis fan wrote:

Thanks Chris. Those are excellant suggestions, especially on the wear points. You are right, they made a lot of WD's and they are pretty common in my area, but I prefer a wide front, and there are fewer of them to choose from. I would also like a WD45 some day, and it would have the transmission with the curved shifter, so maybe I will end up with one of each hopefully. Thanks.

Fleeter,
 Getting one of each is a great idea. Good luck in your search for the wide front WD. Around here most were narrow fronts. I have a narrow front problem! One WD is wide front.
Regards,
 Chris
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2019 at 4:00pm
All late-model curved gearshift WD's are geared exactly the same as any WD45 gas as long as the rear tires are the same size !!  Road gear is direct drive and the late WD/WD45 has a faster ring & pinion (3.3 to 1) which is part of the new helical gear transmission. You can't install the 3.3 to 1 R & P into an older WD which was 3.6 to 1.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic