This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

7060 Alternator

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote klinemar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 7060 Alternator
    Posted: 16 Oct 2019 at 3:48pm
Replacing my Niehof alternator on my 7060. Tractor is an 81 with a serial number above 8000. Bought a Delco from Shoup with terminals clearly marked as tach and indictor light. The problem I have is which wire in the harness is tach and indicator light as the Niehof does not have markings only Bat and Ground. Anyone replaced a Niehof or does anyone have a wiring diagram for 6000 serial number and up 7060's ?
Sponsored Links

Michael V (NM) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Michael V (NM) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2019 at 4:13pm
I done the same on mine...when I get home, I'll look and see if I can tell the wire colors
orangereborn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote orangereborn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2019 at 11:05pm
The way I remember it....HTH...Dale

orange... 6/8 guage? Battery
Lt Green/Black...  Panel lite cluster  14/16 Guage
Brown?  Tach   14/16 Gauge
klinemar View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote klinemar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2019 at 6:25am
Thanks Orangebloom. I was ready to tear into the wiring harness and trace it back to the dash as I never purchased a manual for this tractor. I bought it used and like most Allis Chalmers I have had little trouble until lately when I replaced a water pump and now the alternator.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Michael V (NM) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2019 at 9:14pm
Sorry I forgot to look yesterday,,mine is a 'purple, maroon' belly, the large wire(orange or red)goes to the large battery terminal,same as the niehoff, the plug that came with the alternator, white goes to the white with the brown stripe,green goes to the brown wire, red goes back to the bat terminal..HTH
klinemar View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote klinemar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2019 at 6:32am
Thanks to respondent's to my post! I have the alternator on and running. Problem with the indicator light staying on. Found a Auto electric repair 30 miles away and talked with him. He has built many Delco alternators to replace Niehof's on various farm equipment. He informed me that I needed an in line diode which I purchased from him and installed an the alternator works as it should. The repair guy said the Niehof's are the heaviest built alternator for farm equipment and I believe him as mine was an 81 making it 38 years old! He said where Niehof's are concerned is repair parts. Hang on to your wallet. I had already gone through an alternator replacement on my 8050 several years ago and the repairman who has since retired told me Delco was the most economical replacement.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Michael V (NM) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2019 at 10:01am
Yep,,them neihoff are lotsa $$$,, I kept the one I took off my 7060,cause I know that there is gold in it somewhere....
I think shoup has rebuilt neihoff, but there in the $600-700 range, new are well over $1000...for giggles, do an online search....
orangereborn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote orangereborn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2019 at 11:33am
The reason for the diode is that the earlier ser# had a relay in the lite circuit for Delco type units and actually got the signal from the tach lead. Niehoff had it internally...Did your Niehoff have two or three terminals? Dale...
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Michael V (NM) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2019 at 6:01pm
I used the alternator from Shoup, it included instructions, and had the right pulley,, the pulley on the Neihoff will NOT fit a delco,, it has a smaller shaft..
ok, so there is a difference in the wiring,, mine is a maroon belly....so my directions may not apply....
klinemar View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote klinemar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2019 at 10:06pm
My Niehof had 3 terminals .
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic