This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

R50 rotor loss

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daehler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: R50 rotor loss
    Posted: 13 Oct 2019 at 9:11pm
I know its been asked a few times from looking up old posts. I just rebuilt the internals on the 50 and am having too much loss to suit me. Corns 200+bu and running rotor at 250 to 280rpms at 3 to 3.5 mph. I only installed two reverse bars on the center row. Does it need the other two or need to do something different. It doesn't have evey other wire taken out of the concave which could be some problem. Corns also 16 to 17% moisture.
8070FWA,7080 BlackBelly, 7045,2 200s,D19,D17,G, WD,45,UC,7 AC mowers and lots more!
"IT TAKES 3 JD's TO OUT DO AN ALLIS, 2 TO MATCH IT IN THE FIELD AND 1 FOR PARTS!"
Sponsored Links

Lonn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lonn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2019 at 9:22pm
For now I'd pull every other wire and plug the holes and if still not acceptable add two more reverse bars. I say this with little experience but paying close attention to others here and on other sites.
-- --- .... .- -- -- .- -.. / .-- .- ... / .- / -- ..- .-. -.. . .-. .. -. --. / -.-. .... .. .-.. -.. / .-. .- .--. .. ... -
Wink
I am a Russian Bot
MattLF9 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattLF9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2019 at 9:29pm
I have a N5 and I know the rotor is 90" long but I had the same issue a few years ago.
I cut every other wire out of the concave and put 2 channel concave bars from a F in the bottom of the separator side of the cage.
Rotor loss is non existent now.
A little CQB never hurt anybody.
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2019 at 9:45pm
Every other wire removed from the rear of the main concave and from the sep grate on the left side. No need to plug holes for corn/soybeans.  Two reverse bars on the discharge end opposite each other. One reverse bar in the middle section 90 degrees to the two on the left side. One more reverse bar on the gearbox end 180 degrees from the center reverse bar. Just do it. You will like it.
Daehler View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daehler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2019 at 10:03am
Does the rotor has to be pulled on this to add change the bars? Only have 50 acres of corn this year and calulated total loss at 1 bu an acre. Still its too high from previous years. I had put two reverse bars in the middle opposite of each other. Dad want to put it back like it came with for reverse on separator end. Im also loosing some power but its pulling alot of trash trhough the head.
Dr. Allis, wouldn't having a reverse bar on the gearbox side pull more horsepower?
8070FWA,7080 BlackBelly, 7045,2 200s,D19,D17,G, WD,45,UC,7 AC mowers and lots more!
"IT TAKES 3 JD's TO OUT DO AN ALLIS, 2 TO MATCH IT IN THE FIELD AND 1 FOR PARTS!"
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2019 at 10:27am
This is how I have always set-up my corn/soybean machines and have zero HP complaints and zero complaints on rotor losses. Reverse bars in the middle of the rotor and not on the discharge end??? Why that way ???  I have no idea what you have done to the processor, but if you installed new helical bars and now you are complaining of rotor loss, you need reverse bars back where they belong and add more if you still aren't happy. Do you have wide tooth cylinder bars??? They are prone to more rotor losses in corn and need more reverse bars to slow things down a bit. Reverse bars can be added by removing the big door on the left side and by dropping the concave frame down at the rear for the gearbox side. Be sure to remove the front metal concave seal or at least loosen up the four bolts before dropping it down at the rear.

Edited by DrAllis - 14 Oct 2019 at 10:28am
Daehler View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daehler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2019 at 9:36pm
Ok that clears up some things. I did put in wide space bars and new helicals, plus new end paddles. We have local mechanic that ive quized a little on getting the thing into shape and said he sets them up with the two bars in the middle. I might have misunderstood something. There must be more separation in the last part than i realized. Its a learning curve that ive been working on the last few years to learn. Always been a Gleaner guy but never dug into different ways other than stock.
I did get the loss problem fixed some today. The front shoe shaft broke, so I had to get the R7 out and switched over to corn. Will give me 11 more months to get the bugs worked out on the R50. I have one more question if anyone knows. Is it common for 50s to loss grain out the front corners of the shoe? Dad said its done it ever since new. I put a new rubber seal up front but it doesn't fully fill the corners.
tbran View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tbran Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2019 at 11:43pm
before doing a lot of work, please check your loss out the rotor. In 200 bu corn 1% loss is 2bu/a.... better than most of your neighbors.  To get a harvester to less than 1% loss usually eats more fuel that the crop that is saved - pull the spreader and check the loss - takes less than 15 minutes.  IF you have less than 1% loss you are  fighting a loosing battle of the bucks. The op manual tells the kernel count for the header you have per running foot under the discharge chute w/o the spinner attached. We usually find the header loss is double that of the cylinder - it just doesn't show up in the standing corn.

When told "it's not the money,it's the principle", remember, it's always the money..
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2019 at 7:28am
You need to update the front of the cleaning shoe area to a 1993 R-52 or newer. Three pieces of rubber belting and metal clips and screws.
Daehler View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daehler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2019 at 9:17am
tbran, im with you on what you said. I was looking through the operators manual the other night on loss. Im just trying to keep as much grain in as possible. Tired of people always calling them silver seeders and what not. Plus trying to make sure it does better than the Lexions at work. Its hard to fully calculate them cause they grind stuff up so much. Spent 2 hours with a tech plus many adjustments on my own and still couldn't get the sample or loss where it needed. I also guess being 1% in 250 plus corn has a little leeway.

Dr. Allis thank you for the information, got parts ordered for the shoe. Plus some reverse bar. Going to try them on inbetween the middle set on the separator side for the little i have left. Ill see what that does. Then when i have more time, ill probably set it up like you said.
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2019 at 11:31am
Put them on the discharge end 90 degrees from the two you already have in there.
Daehler View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daehler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2019 at 11:44am
Originally posted by DrAllis DrAllis wrote:

Put them on the discharge end 90 degrees from the two you already have in there.

Yep, thats what i was meaning. I worded it confusing. Thank you!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic