This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Convenience gas stations

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2022 at 5:41pm
Any idea of why there's more and more AMOCO stations being a player on the CS scene?? I thought BP took Amoco out Ouch ??
Sponsored Links

Tinslinger View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tinslinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2022 at 6:20pm
Top Tier gasoline is worth reading about. It’s a voluntary program, but the gasoline is definitely higher quality. Costco is Top Tier. There is also Top Tier Diesel Fuel.
FREEDGUY View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2022 at 6:29pm
Originally posted by Tinslinger Tinslinger wrote:

Top Tier gasoline is worth reading about. It’s a voluntary program, but the gasoline is definitely higher quality. Costco is Top Tier. There is also Top Tier Diesel Fuel.
If your post was aimed at me, I'm a proponent of the COSTCO brand of anything that they sell WinkWink ! I "might" take exception of their tv's though Smile,
Lars(wi) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lars(wi) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2022 at 6:50pm
‘Top Tier’ is the marketing name for an additive that is in fuel. At one time, General Motors owned the trade mark, not sure if they currently do. Several gas stations in this area have it, several others do not.
I tried to follow the science, but it was not there. I then followed the money, and that’s where I found the science.
Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2022 at 10:58pm
Around here Super America changed it's name to Speedway , then the other is Holliday Stations , odd part is they were both part of the old Erickson's brand and came out of the St Paul Park refinery which now is Marathon . 
 As there are 2 refineries in the area and a couple tank farm storage facilities , the final product is blended at these points , not at refinery . Additives are added as one punches in loading codes as one fills tanker . Alcohol is also added as tanker fills as gas with alcohol can not be sent through pipelines .
  I filled car yesterday as Sam's Club for $2.88 and across the street is a Speedway which had $3.19 reg gas price , and on other side of road was a Quick Trip also at $3.19 .
  Bought diesel for Skid Loader at Holliday for $3.49 - 2 miles from house and Speedway I noticed was $3.59 a gallon a mile down the road from there .

Edited by Coke-in-MN - 19 Jan 2022 at 11:01pm
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2022 at 5:24am
Hauled fuels in 1970s again in 1980s, both grand fathers and a few extended family worked refineries Wood River and Hartford IL among other work.

Gas is a rub as all comes out of same tank, same for diesel except once that tank gets low and swaps are made where the residuals settle out. Only difference is from what refiner the fuels are purchased from as a few still run their own pipelines and tank farms. BP/AMOCO is one of those.
Had a few client small stations that bought residuals fuels. Smelled sour placing in tanker and smelled worse once delivered, much was barely able to make octane ratings sold as. Old stations that we pumped out for rehab fuels were sold as residuals much of that loaded with moisture emulsified to a point was just junk and soured as was beyond time of additive longevity or volitized off.
Never hauled ethanol based gas was not prevalent then.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic