This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Buying in bulk-- food

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 200Tom1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Buying in bulk-- food
    Posted: 18 Sep 2019 at 10:29pm
Anybody ever use a place like Zimmerman's store at Rutledge Mo? Looks like they have things Like 100 lbs sacks of sugar/flower etc. How many marshmallows are in a 40 lbs sack? Looks like they got them. Must be close to their big flea market.
Sponsored Links

shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2019 at 10:54pm
there used to be a store in Omaha like that, but not there anymore. Mom and Dad used to go there all the time.
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2019 at 1:26am

Well,,there is a Sam's Place up in the Alien Town and one of the boys gave us a member card one year but I never could really tell that you saved much,,,,what DOES happen is that you wind up eating MORE cause you gots all thet food in the freezer that you suspossed to saved money on,,,,,
 Not a big fan of that chit,,,!!
Thad in AR. View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2019 at 5:03am
I wish we had a store like that. Jenn goes to Sams and Aldi’s. She has one of those vacuum pack machines. She splits stuff into the sizes she wants and I vacuum seal and freeze the cold stuff or put it on a shelf for dry stuff. When I was a kid we lived a long way to town and getting store bought groceries was once a month. We milked and had freezer beef.
nella(Pa) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nella(Pa) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2019 at 6:00am
Originally posted by Thad in AR. Thad in AR. wrote:

I wish we had a store like that. Jenn goes to Sams and Aldi’s. She has one of those vacuum pack machines. She splits stuff into the sizes she wants and I vacuum seal and freeze the cold stuff or put it on a shelf for dry stuff. When I was a kid we lived a long way to town and getting store bought groceries was once a month. We milked and had freezer beef.

X2  and still do!
Don't milk anymore, but have a friend that has a Jersey herd and get two gallons a week, good milk.

Edited by nella(Pa) - 19 Sep 2019 at 6:06am
chaskaduo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chaskaduo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2019 at 6:41am
I have a Restaurant Depot here and their prices are better the Sam's or Costco most of the time. Salami's $2.69lb, Pepperoni $2-$2.50lb, cheese $2-$3lb etc. I can handle 5-10lbs at a crack. 25-50lb onions, just got 50lbs Jumbo Spanish for $12.69, I love scumyums, eat em every day one way or another. Also got 15lbs Chuck Tenders at $2.89lb for my sous vide to cook it up real tender. So on so on and so forth.

Edited by chaskaduo - 19 Sep 2019 at 7:52am
1938 B, 79 Dynamark 11/36 6spd, 95 Weed-Eater 16hp, 2010 Bolens 14hp
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2019 at 7:17am
Originally posted by desertjoe desertjoe wrote:

Well,,there is a Sam's Place up in the Alien Town and one of the boys gave us a member card one year but I never could really tell that you saved much,,,,what DOES happen is that you wind up eating MORE cause you gots all thet food in the freezer that you suspossed to saved money on,,,,,
 Not a big fan of that chit,,,!!
Bingo Joe!  That's what most people do without realizing it, don't save in the long run.  Some people make it work, but it takes discipline!
ac fleet View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac fleet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2019 at 9:43am
Sam's here, we do save but you have to do some work to split the big packages down to your desired size. We make a couple visits per year and that lasts us for the whole time. Never had any problems with making the amounts last. Sam's is not the cheapest on everything, so you have to shop around. We also have Aldi's here too and sometimes they beat Sam's prices.
http://machinebuildersnetwork.com/
Ray54 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2019 at 12:11pm
None of you said Costo, are they only out west? They sell a lot more than groceries but my wonderful has decide at 40 miles and the membership it is not worth it. I think Costo was the reason Sam started Sam's Club to give them a competitor.LOL

But local there is Smart & Final started as restaurant supply and turned grocery store. About anything that you buy in a can at regular grocery can be had at Smart & Final in gallon size can or buy unopened cases of anything they sell. Handy for big parties and such but not cheaper for everyday unless I could get Wink someone to repackage for me. 

The newest is Grocery Outlet, claim to get oversupply from other chains and "old style" packages when manufactures that change pictures and such. Tend to have products that are right at the best by date. So many nic named it "Used Food store".LOL

Edited by Ray54 - 19 Sep 2019 at 1:01pm
200Tom1 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 200Tom1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2019 at 6:12am
Ya we got Costco here in Iowa. I have in the past had both Costco and sams club memberships. We don't use enough to justify the fee. Will be headed down to the next Rutlege flea market and check the place out.
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2019 at 9:22am
We got a Wal Mart with grocery 5 miles away.. do 95% there... Closest SAMS and others is 1 hour away.
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
mdm1 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdm1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2019 at 2:28pm
You don't happen to have any Mennonites in your area? Clark cty WI where our cabin is has the largest number of Mennonites in the state. They run bulk food stores. Prices are good and the places are very clean. 
Everything is impossible until someone does it! WD45-trip loader 1947 c w/woods belly mower, 1939 B, #3 sickle mower 1944 B, 2 1948 G's. Misc other equipment that my wife calls JUNK!
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2019 at 2:37pm
We watch for close to date foods at our local stores, they discount the heck out of them so we stock up on meat and veges, repackage and freeze the meat, clean blanche and package then freeze the veges some fruit and generally save about half. We do Aldi's once in awhile, not real fond, then do buy large packs of Paper goods at Sams as we get around Wentzville or Jeff City. Try to shy away from bulk dry goods as beans flour and sugar, flour looked like pepper in it at three months of storage when we bought too much last, full of weevils same for Beans we bought same way, they are in one or more beans as eggs or in a flour sack as a egg and cooked up never know they are there, leave set too long they become weevils and nasty.
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2019 at 1:09am
we do watch meat sales at one certain store in town, then devide up and vacuum seal and freeze the meat. we will NOT buy any more meat at wally worlds. at Aldi's you hafta watch expiration dates real close. one of the stockholders gave us a gift cert for Costco, closest one of those at the time was in Denver! we have one here now, but you hafta know your prices shopping at Sam's/Costco/wally world/any of the so called cut rate stores. one local store here had first pick of then trucked in beef/pork carcasses, all the rejected meat went on to wally world.
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2019 at 2:30am

You know Shameless,,I agree with you on the meat at Walnart,,,,it just seems to stay "RED" a lot longer than at the other stores,,,,HMMmmm,,,,different cows,,,???? or better dye,,,,,,
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2019 at 7:14am
Was at Wally World the other day, looked at some of the meat, primarily Pork, old memory of slaughtering a OLD Boar Hog came flooding in as I looked at the cuts, heavy on the tendon and what Great Aunt called the Sour Fat she would cut away as made the meat taste bad. About a quarter of the pork butts in the rack was that fat.
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2019 at 8:10am

There are two local stores that try to compete with the local Walmart and I pretty much buy all our meat at one of those as they try to stay competitive with walmart and I don't want them to go out of business and walmart wind up being the only'ist  one. Thay always have better meat prices and the beef just looks fresher,,,,,Clap
ac fleet View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac fleet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2019 at 9:34am
The meat at both Walmart and Sams here is super low grade and higher priced than anybody else in town. ---Never see a lot of it going out the door when we are there either. --lot of people look at it then lay it back in the cooler. We walk by and look at prices,--then keep walking!
Aldi meat also high priced. ---IGA and most others too high too, plus they re-package hamburger and put the brown on the bottom and a thin layer of red on the top!
Have had a little meat from butcher shop to try and it's low quality tuff/tasteless and over priced. --- Don't know what people feed these animals now days to ruin the meat, BUT they are great at it!
http://machinebuildersnetwork.com/
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2019 at 11:02am
Local markets here del a lot with local butchers, get lower price on fresh halves, then leave them dry age hang for a couple weeks, not bad after that.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic