This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Pulling Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

adjustable sled hook points

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken in Texas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: adjustable sled hook points
    Posted: 07 Sep 2019 at 6:46am
Up and down. Start by hooking light tractors in the bottom hole. Reserve the top hole for stopping the heavy weight pullers.
      The reason I post this is - The sled I will be hooking to today has the hook point in the top hole for everybody. No consideration to the fact light tractors will ALWAYS SPIN OUT FAR TO EARLY
Sponsored Links

WF owner View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WF owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2019 at 7:01am
At least it's the same for everyone. 

It will help the guys that have the most movable weight. Less weight on the front of the tractor and more on the rear to compensate for the less weight transfer/traction.
Ken in Texas View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken in Texas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2019 at 5:02pm
They thoughtfully accommodated me by allowing ME to break loose the rusty clevis bolt with MY tools and move to the bottom hole.
     I won the 3000 #class pretty easy.  I made a 165 foot pull in 3500 and finished second to a JD that pulled 167 feet,
     Weighted up the CA again to pull in the  4000 class and hardly moved the sled before digging a hole, 4000# Olivers and Deeres  pulled after me and spun out a 20 feet or less.  A real crowd pleaser for  sure for those in the grandstand 60 more feet up the track. 
    Next class was 4500 and they all spun out early. It was like watching a short pull to see which short puller pulled the farthest.
     How exciting is that?     I had all this BS I could stand a loaded up for the trip home to get ready for the 2 day pull at the Louisiana State Fair Shreveport  coming up Oct 25 and 26.
      I don't know how many tractors registered for this Lone Star Show and Pull. Lots of them but just my PO Orange #1 Allis Chalmers CA stood out as different from all  the Green and Red Hundreds.  Several comments were made of my CA being the only AC in the show.
200 10and20 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 200 10and20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2019 at 5:10pm
Just an observation but It seems every post someone is picking on you at a pull. Nobody likes a sore loser! Again just my observation.
acd17toy View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acd17toy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2019 at 7:33pm

200 10 and 20,
   I have had that same problem a few times at pulls I attend.  Protester was not happy after they found out that my tractor was legal with in  the club rules.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken in Texas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2019 at 8:19am
What is wrong with trying to correct a situation for the good of everybody. Especially the
spectators who came out in 100 degree heat expecting to see some serious tractor pulling
     The idea of setting the sled tight where every puller in a class is stopped at 30 feet or less is goofy thinking.   I asked what the thought behind this practice was all about. Here are some of the reasons I got for setting the sled so tight.
     We have a full program and have to keep the time each puller is on the track to a minimum or be pulling until it gets dark thirty
     We can't spend the extra time dragging and packing the track between pullers if we have to do the whole track.    packing the first 30 feet only saves time
     Setting the sled tight eliminates full pulls and runoffs completely.  Saving time.

It is all about saving time.     I would rather see limiting pullers to 2 hooks per tractor instead of 3 to save time.     A puller entered his 8N in 2500. Only entry in the 2500 class. He pulled in farm stock and again in farm stock weighted. Came back to pull a third time in 3000 weighted without adding weights.

How long could any spectator sit and watch  big tractors getting stopped at 30 feet on a 200 foot track.   I'm pretty sure they expected more of the same  distance pulling after my little Allis CA pulled 165 feet in the 3500 weighted class.
Sugarmaker View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2019 at 1:21pm
Ken, I have heard and seen this done also. If I look up in the stands and there are only 6 people there then it may not matter as much? But I think most customers like to see the tractors pull a good distance. But they also cant set there for 5-6 hours!

Here's another scenario: Operator would start the clock/timer when their tractor entered towards the sled. Would have to get off and hook to the sled. No jerking the sled. Pull to a stop point, at the 3 mph limit, one beep and you add 10 seconds 2 beeps add another 20 seconds, Third beep DQ. Get off unhook, get on and go through the timer. Fastest time wins that weight class. Now we have a different event the crowd might like? Just a thought? I know if it was a timed event green tractors wouldn't win very often!Smile

Regards,
 Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 08 Sep 2019 at 1:24pm
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 200 10and20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2019 at 2:31pm
Any tractor 4000 lbs or less has no business trying to pull a sled designed for the big boys. I know you think your doing something but it is boring watching a little CA or something similar pull a full sized sled. I have seen where they could not budge a sled because of a little hump in the track. Pull with a garden tractor sled and do away with the stupid speed limit. It's ruining tractor pulling making it as fake as NASCAR!! It should not matter what make of tractor you have. It's always Deere's fault or IH's fault!! Doesn't seem to bother Inj Pump Ed he always puts on a show for the audience. It should be about how good of a driver you are and how good your mechanical skills are.
PaulB View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2019 at 4:35pm
Our clubs sled can easily be started by 2500 pound tractors and make a nearly 300' pull. Heck even a Farmall F12 in the 3000 pound historic class can get over 100'. By the way, my RC can always double the F12s distance. The same sled with only a gear change, air bag adjustment and setting the diggers in can stop a 11,500 super farm tractor before 200'.  I can run my CA in 3rd gear at about 10MPH and I put on a show that even impresses the guys with big tractors. 
    A few years ago one of the big boy's sled (NTPA approved) was at a pull I was at and they had adjustable air bags to hold the pan up on wheels until the weight box moved a little. with the slight downhill to the track is was difficult to run fast enough to not have the sled overtake some of the tractors.
    The last place I'd been going to in N.C. had a sled that they move the hitch point up and down or short to long depending on what class was pulling. 
   What Ken is up against is a narrow minded club that really doesn't want smaller tractors or even fast tractors. My guess is that all the head honchos he's pulling against, not only have half motor tractors they also put and overly high value on those plastic trophies. and want to be sure the rules are so restrictive that no outsider gets one. Also they really don't want to put on a show to draw spectators. Ken needs to look around and find out that the club he's pulling with isn't the only game in town. If he'd be willing to travel some he could have lots of fun. I gave up pulling with the club closest to me because they were too restrictive.
  the fellow that brought the one CA I'd been pulling, has been pulling with clubs in eastern Oh and western Pa, in classes that allow 5 MPH and has had a ball in lightweight classes. After I retire at the end of the year, I just my run out to pull with him a couple of times. 
If it was fun to pull in LOW gear, I could have a John Deere.
If you can't make it GO... make it SHINY
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken in Texas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2019 at 4:58pm
Hold your horses here.  How can you say if I have a 4000 pound or less pulling tractor I have  no business BORING FOLKS by hooking to a full size sled.
     Our home club full size sled is designed to allow any  tractor in any weight class from 2500 to 10,000 TO PUT ON A GOOD SHOW. The Lone Star sled has the same capability.
      When I pulled the Lone Star sled Yesterday past 150 feet in 3000 and 3500 the folks watching from the grandstand and the trackside were giving the thumbs up and saying out loud, Nice Pull or Good Pull Kenny.  Does this sound like I was boring folks. Remember this is Texas . Not Illinois. 
       In 4000 and 4500 they set the sled so tight the pull  bored everyone with Big Tractors in both classes ALL spinning out at less than 30 feet. 

Edited by Ken in Texas - 08 Sep 2019 at 5:08pm
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken in Texas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2019 at 6:42pm
Thank You Paul B for your post.  I know you love pulling your CA and don't bore anybody  showing how well it pulls.  I'm a bit upset with Lone Star deciding to Overtighten  their sled for the 4000 class.  They had a good thing going up to that point. I probably would have not placed near the top but I never got a chance to give  all those green tractors a run for their money.
timmypuller View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timmypuller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2019 at 4:36pm
Small classes have a 200 foot track, mid size classes have 250 foot track and the big classes have a 300 foot track.
Small classes have a slower speed limit where I pull and this helps speed things along while still letting everyone strut their stuff
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2019 at 9:11pm
If I was watching a Pull and they were going 30 ft............. I would pack up and go home.  Around here we like the 200 ft pulls.
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
CAL(KS) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CAL(KS) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2019 at 9:08am
length of chain could be changed if sled not height adjustable.  the sled i pull on isnt adjustable but the rate the weight moves is so we have everyone going down the track.
Me -C,U,UC,WC,WD45,190XT,TL-12,145T,HD6G,HD16,HD20

Dad- WD, D17D, D19D, RT100A, 7020, 7080,7580, 2-8550's, 2-S77, HD15
AaronSEIA View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AaronSEIA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2019 at 12:57pm
A good sled operator should be able to manage that.  I've seen the same sled stop 400-500 horse 5700 lb antique mods at the same pull it stops 1500 horse 466 limited pro machines.   Box weight and gearing.  They all go 280-330'.
AaronSEIA
Kip-Utah View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kip-Utah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2019 at 3:25pm
Running a weight-transfer sled is a combination of science and art! We can get 60 to 80 foot pulls on 2000 lb tractors (Cubs and A-C Gs) and still stop 10,000 lb. tractors at 200 feet. The middle weights 3,000 to 5,500 lbs. typically pull 140 to 180 feet. Our two primary adjustments are raising/lowering the chain hook points and a set of "training wheels" with screw jacks on them on the pan. We probably only have pull-offs because of full pulls maybe 5 or 6 times a year. We also generally start the little fellers a further down the track so that they are pulling in front of the spectators.

Kip
HANSEN'S OLD ORANGE IRON. Showing, Pulling, & Going!!
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2019 at 10:57am
Folks, Ken,
We finished our pulling season last Saturday with a lot of short pulls. We did not have much of a crowd in the stands. But most of the light class pulls never got near the stands! I think we should allow all the tractors to pull further down the track and get near the center of the grandstands if possible. Yes it takes more time! Yes it takes sled adjustments!  
Especially the John Deere machines that take their time getting the job done. I need to learn more about running the sled for light tractors. 
I also feel as a junior sled operator and a puller in some of the lighter classes that the pullers have a better time at the event when they can pull the sled down the track a ways too. 
If the crowd is not in the stands then your "customers" at the event are the pullers and they should get a little more track time for their $10 hook fee. 
Just my 2 cents which doesn't mean much! Just another opinion on a very competitive and controversial subject.
Ken I think you did the right thing getting them to change the chain location for the lighter classes. Makes good sense to me. 
If you had the pulling guys go up in the stands and watch, and or run the sled and flag I think you would get some different prospective too!
Regards,
 Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 18 Oct 2019 at 6:55pm
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
frnkeore View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frnkeore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2019 at 11:41am
Chris,
I have to agree. You make a good case.
Frank
1959 D17 Series I #24001+, '59 D14
'55 & '59 Ford 850 & 861
Ferguson TO 35 Deluxe, Oliver 70 and 5 more.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 200 10and20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2019 at 12:06pm
X2 Chris I agree you should become a narrator you never fail to do a super job of explaining things!!
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2019 at 7:03pm
Frank, 200, 
Thanks! Just some observations as a newbie to the pulling thing.  I can spew forth massive amounts of BS with the best of them! You know at the pull the other day near hear, I had a chance to work with the announcer in the tower during several classes. I had always thought I might like this and had several positive comments from folks after the event. I would have liked to have a little more information on the pullers such as maybe the town they were from some other detail about them or their tractors. I did enjoy it! That may be what I do when I cant pull anymore!
Frank did you see the post where the guy was looking for piston dimensions?
Regards,
 Chris

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic