This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Hi-point firearms

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hi-point firearms
    Posted: 20 Aug 2019 at 7:13pm
Anybody own one? Anybody have any experiences with them? I recently joined their forum and been studying their history. Ive found that most folks that hate them have never touched one. Ive asked a few and they say this or that but the truth is they are 100% American made 100% lifetime warranty and they rate way up the ladder in reliability tests. Yes they are heavy.
Sponsored Links

Mnfarmboy View Drop Down
Bronze Level Access
Bronze Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mnfarmboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2019 at 9:19pm
I have a 9mm, don't look like much, always goes bang when it should.  I f somebody "borrowed" it I would not be as heart broke as if he took one of my S&W's.
Dave
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2019 at 11:28pm
me thinks he's trying to find a gun that will scare me if I shows up there one day!
Thad in AR. View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2019 at 4:09am
Originally posted by shameless dude shameless dude wrote:

me thinks he's trying to find a gun that will scare me if I shows up there one day!

Nope we gonna split some fire wood in the Arkansas humidity. Now that art to give you a good spookin.
brad durst View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brad durst Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2019 at 4:28am
owned a few over the years. always worked well but its like carrying a big club. 
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2019 at 5:55am

HMmmmm,,,don't think I've ever owned one,,didn't they make quite a few .22 rifles back in the day,,??
 UMMmm,,,how you gonna split firewood with one,,????Wink
Scott B View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scott B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2019 at 9:04am
Originally posted by desertjoe desertjoe wrote:

HMmmmm,,,don't think I've ever owned one,,didn't they make quite a few .22 rifles back in the day,,??

Now Joe, in the firewood splitting, he already told you it was kind of heavy and those Arkansas boys can get pretty creative with fixin something together.
D17 Series 1
Allis B- 1939
Allis B- 1945
Leon n/c AR. View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leon n/c AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2019 at 10:32am
The Hi-point firearms are a dependable ugly pistol but seems to be very dependable, keep one of the 45 cal under the seat of my truck. Also have 9mm pistol and .45 rifle. None will win a beauty contest but all very dependable. Leon
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2019 at 2:30pm

I’ll be a sittin in the shade givin him good instructions on splitting that far wood. I’ll be drinking sweet tea and he will gets a few beers of his choosing when he’s done. The Hi-point ain’t part of this deal. He would probably confiscate it if he sees it.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2019 at 2:33pm
Originally posted by Leon n/c AR. Leon n/c AR. wrote:

The Hi-point firearms are a dependable ugly pistol but seems to be very dependable, keep one of the 45 cal under the seat of my truck. Also have 9mm pistol and .45 rifle. None will win a beauty contest but all very dependable. Leon

I have a 9mm and find it quite reliable.
I’m not really a hand gun guy.
I got Jenn a S&W M&P shield performance 9 mm. I traded my old table saw for the hi-point just because we have 9mm ammo.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2019 at 2:36pm

Joe I think you’re thinking High Standard. I want me a High Standard 22 semi Auto pistol in the worse way.
TimCNY View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TimCNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2019 at 2:54pm
.40S&W carbine. Everything is a surprise; the weight (yeah it's heavy but so is everything else), the price (LIKE YA STOLE IT!), and the accuracy (I have NO complaints; if it groups poorly the fault isn't the gun's).
And you're right, the only detractors I've met are non-owners.
I say go ahead and buy it. If you don't like it, sell it to me.
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2019 at 3:20pm
I have a 40 cal hand gun.... never a miss fire.
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
Walker View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Walker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2019 at 6:45pm
If that's the ones that used to be made in Mansfield Oh. and were called Stallard, in the early years had problems with jamming but I think they are a totally different animal now.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2019 at 7:01pm
Originally posted by Walker Walker wrote:

If that's the ones that used to be made in Mansfield Oh. and were called Stallard, in the early years had problems with jamming but I think they are a totally different animal now.

That’s the ones and still made there
klinemar View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote klinemar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2019 at 9:59pm
High Point Pistols are cheap, reliable and not for everyday carry. If it goes bang and hits what you aim at who am I to judge! I have an FNS 9 that I like very well. I also have a Taurus model 66 -7 shot 357 magnum. The pistol is heavy and can pull my pants down! I carry the 357 in a chest rig when hunting.
Walker View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Walker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2019 at 10:33pm
Originally posted by Thad in AR. Thad in AR. wrote:

That’s the ones and still made there
          I thought they moved out some years ago. When Stallard Arms started out, I believe around 1980 or late 70's, they were jammers big time and got a reputation that almost put them out of business. Since then actually they have a pretty good rep for reliability. I knew a guy who worked for them back then and did some of the testing, he used lots of profanity when asked about them.
Walker View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Walker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2019 at 11:02pm
Seems to me I heard somewhere along the line they were originally designed as a cheap cops backup gun, then the reputation and weight put an end to that.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2019 at 4:09am

Seems to me I heard somewhere along the line they were originally designed as a cheap cops backup gun, then the reputation and weight put an end to that.

Mine is a year old and the box says manufactured by Strassell machine Mansfield OH.
I know they sold some years back but I believe they stayed in the same area.
chaskaduo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chaskaduo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2019 at 7:48am
I have a Taurus 357 mag revolver and if it misfires it's on to the next round pulling the trigger. I hate messing with a shell that didn't fire, but at least there's no jam that could cost me. Wink
1938 B, 79 Dynamark 11/36 6spd, 95 Weed-Eater 16hp, 2010 Bolens 14hp
Walker View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Walker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2019 at 8:40am

Mine is a year old and the box says manufactured by Strassell machine Mansfield OH.
I know they sold some years back but I believe they stayed in the same area.
            The last I really knew of them they had something going on in a small building on Springmill Street beside a car dealer I knew, that would have been mid to late 80's I think. I guess I mostly assumed they left town when the name changed and that building looked abandoned. There is a Strassell Machine on that same street.
Walker View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Walker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2019 at 9:12am
Wait a minute, they weren't all that heavy were they? I remember coming across a pile of unmachined frames in a scrap yard once, they struck me as being big more than heavy. I do remember wondering what the heck they cast them out of, they looked like some kind of pot metal.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2019 at 10:08am
The originals were some alloy frame now they have a poly frame. They are a blow back design therefore the slide is heavy which makes for a heavy gun. The slide is some type of Zink alloy but the name slips my mind.
Walker View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Walker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2019 at 10:27am
There were some slides mixed in the pile, they looked to be made of the same stuff. I don't doubt the zink part by the looks of them.

Edited by Walker - 22 Aug 2019 at 10:34am
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2019 at 11:47am

There were some slides mixed in the pile, they looked to be made of the same stuff. I don't doubt the zink part by the looks of them.

Walker, last year our Company built a new factory for Nighthawk Customs. They sure don’t leave any frames or slides laying around. They guard that stuff good. I sort of got to know one of the machinists and learned a little.
Walker View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Walker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2019 at 4:27pm

Walker, last year our Company built a new factory for Nighthawk Customs. They sure don’t leave any frames or slides laying around. They guard that stuff good. I sort of got to know one of the machinists and learned a little.
      It surprised me when I found them, there is a big difference in unmachined and machined though. No finished parts just rough castings. I don't know what the law is on it, another odd thing is the scrapyard was in a town 20 miles from Mansfield. The guy I knew that worked for them said when you tested them the serial numbers were recorded, time in and out and the whole works. Don't know what to tell ya there but believe me I don't enjoy typing enough to be making this up.
chaskaduo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chaskaduo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2019 at 4:38pm
Now this is a big GUN. Thumbs Up

[TUBE]16SIvVKtuks[/TUBE]
TimCNY View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TimCNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2019 at 7:01pm
Chas, Chas, Chas... "THIS is my Rifle, THIS is my gun: This is for fightin', this is for fun."
chaskaduo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote chaskaduo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2019 at 10:13pm
Just saw Full Metal Jacket again a couple weeks ago.  R. Lee Ermey  rest in peace.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic