This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Good stuff for sale

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Good stuff for sale
    Posted: 18 Aug 2019 at 4:07pm
There is a junk store/flea market/antique store in town that Jenn likes to go to. There is a booth in there that has nothing but old tools n such. I’ve bought several hammers for very cheap. Some brass hammers and brass stock. Last time we were there I bought a 3/4 hp reversible electric motor for $ 10.00 and some step pulleys for $2.00. Today I bought two nos 5/8” pillow block bearings for $2.00. I’m making a slow down jack shaft for the old Atlas drillpress I traded for sometime back. He has had lathes drill presses many old American bench grinders and all sorts of machine tools. I give $1.00 a piece for several ball lien hammers. I’m getting quite a collection of hammers.
Sponsored Links

Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2019 at 9:03pm
Good thing that I'm not down by you!!!  I'd need a bigger truck and a LOT of $$$$$$.
"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2019 at 2:21am
Originally posted by Thad in AR. Thad in AR. wrote:

There is a junk store/flea market/antique store in town that Jenn likes to go to. There is a booth in there that has nothing but old tools n such. I’ve bought several hammers for very cheap. Some brass hammers and brass stock. Last time we were there I bought a 3/4 hp reversible electric motor for $ 10.00 and some step pulleys for $2.00. Today I bought two nos 5/8” pillow block bearings for $2.00. I’m making a slow down jack shaft for the old Atlas drillpress I traded for sometime back. He has had lathes drill presses many old American bench grinders and all sorts of machine tools. I give $1.00 a piece for several ball lien hammers. I’m getting quite a collection of hammers.

Say,,Thad,,!! that right there sounds like the place I could spend some time just browsing around and wind up takin too much  stuff home,,,,Clap There is a store like that up in northern NM just like that,,but way too far otther than when we go thru towards Nort Dakota.
  I finally fount me a chunk of RR rail and been cuttin and shapin it out for a nice sized anvil,,,Still thinkin on how I'm gonna mount it yet,,I seen some pics of some mounted on a big chunk of tree stump,,,might do that,,,,Clap Say,,,you bein an up and coming blacksmith,,,what is the square hole in them anvils for??? 
 SO,,you ain't fount us a small mill yet,,I see,,,,,Wink

Edited by desertjoe - 19 Aug 2019 at 2:22am
chaskaduo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chaskaduo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2019 at 3:44am
Round peg comes to mind. Wink
1938 B, 79 Dynamark 11/36 6spd, 95 Weed-Eater 16hp, 2010 Bolens 14hp
Thad in AR. View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2019 at 5:06am
Originally posted by desertjoe desertjoe wrote:

Say,,Thad,,!! that right there sounds like the place I could spend some time just browsing around and wind up takin too much  stuff home,,,,Clap There is a store like that up in northern NM just like that,,but way too far otther than when we go thru towards Nort Dakota.
  I finally fount me a chunk of RR rail and been cuttin and shapin it out for a nice sized anvil,,,Still thinkin on how I'm gonna mount it yet,,I seen some pics of some mounted on a big chunk of tree stump,,,might do that,,,,Clap Say,,,you bein an up and coming blacksmith,,,what is the square hole in them anvils for??? 
 SO,,you ain't fount us a small mill yet,,I see,,,,,Wink

That square hole is a Hardy hole. It’s used to hold all types of tooling. Most Blacksmiths made their own tooling custom fit to each anvil.
I’ve seen some beautiful anvils shaped from RR track. Yes mount it to a stump. Finished height should be the same as your arm straight down in a fist. Measure floor to fist. I set my anvils a little hi to keep from bending my bad back.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2019 at 8:03pm
I finished my jack shaft project tonight. That old Atlas runs quiet and smooth. It now has 12 speeds and I can slow it way down.
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2019 at 10:05pm

Well,,that's great Thad,,,I got my phone settin on ready to get some pics,,,,,,Clap
Stan IL&TN View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stan IL&TN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2019 at 9:22am
Going to start calling you Thor instead of Thad.😀
1957 WD45 dad's first AC

1968 one-seventy

1956 F40 Ferguson
chaskaduo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chaskaduo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2019 at 10:38am
1938 B, 79 Dynamark 11/36 6spd, 95 Weed-Eater 16hp, 2010 Bolens 14hp
CTuckerNWIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CTuckerNWIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2019 at 6:01pm

I finished my jack shaft project tonight. That old Atlas runs quiet and smooth. It now has 12 speeds and I can slow it way down.

I want to see your set up. I have a nice heavy duty Craftsman drill  press that mounts to a heavy cast iron table. It works great for anything under a half inch when drilling steel, but needs to go way slower to run my silver and deming up to 1 inch.
 I have been dreaming of adding on variable speed drive pulley from an old Ranch King lawn mower, or using a variable speed treadmill motor on it, just ain't got rountuit.
http://www.ae-ta.com
Lena 1935 WC12xxx, Willie 1951 CA6xx Dad bought new, 1954WD45 PS, 1960 D17 NF
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2019 at 6:14pm
Originally posted by CTuckerNWIL CTuckerNWIL wrote:

I want to see your set up. I have a nice heavy duty Craftsman drill  press that mounts to a heavy cast iron table. It works great for anything under a half inch when drilling steel, but needs to go way slower to run my silver and deming up to 1 inch.
 I have been dreaming of adding on variable speed drive pulley from an old Ranch King lawn mower, or using a variable speed treadmill motor on it, just ain't got rountuit.
Charley PM me a phone number. I don’t have a computer just a I phone and I can’t post pics but I’ll get pics and send to you and Joe.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic