This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Check that oil gauge.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brkfldj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Check that oil gauge.
    Posted: 18 Aug 2019 at 2:00pm
I have mowed with my WD45 for 31 years and developed confidence in the oil pressure which led to the bad habit of only checking pressure on start up. Consequently, I didn't observe a problem until the governor kicked in when there was no load on the tractor. That is when I observed steam and smoke due to over heating. The pressure gauge was missing and the oil had been pumped out of the port.
Based on the smoke from the exhaust, I damaged the pistons and liners for sure. I don't hear an obvious bearing. Knock, but I really don't know what to listen for.
EVERYONE with this style gauge go grab the oil gauge and give it a twist to be certain that it is secure.
My negligence brought a tear to my eye and had me depressed for a day.
Jim

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what is for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote. ——— Ben Franklin
Sponsored Links

Don(MO) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Don(MO) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2019 at 7:42pm
I put a drop of lock-tite on the gauge when they are installed.
3 WD45's with power steering,G,D15 fork lift,D19, W-Speed Patrol, "A" Gleaner with a 330 corn head,"66" combine,roto-baler, and lots of Snap Coupler implements to make them work for their keep.

Sugarmaker View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2019 at 8:18pm
Jim,
 Sorry to hear that about your WD45. I will check mine, since I have had the gage off and on several times lately. 

Regards,
 Chris
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
MACK View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MACK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2019 at 8:50pm
My 45 done that running brush cutter. Heard the engine knocking and shut it off. Walked to the house, got a gauge and oil. Cranked it up, knock went away and is still running today.        MACK
SteveM C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2019 at 10:58pm
worth a try. not much to loose
wekracer View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wekracer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2019 at 8:19am
Dad tells a story of when he and mom were first married. She had a 66 mustang with a 289 and on the way to work one day she hit a rock in the driveway and knocked a hole in the oil pan. Half way to work it locked up.

They didn’t have any money so Dad towed it home put a new oil pan on and pulled the spark plugs and dumped oil in. He then hooked 2 - 12 volt batteries in series and hit the starter. He said it took 5 or 6 tries but finally cranked over. He put the plugs back in and when it started he said it rattled and banged and smoked but finally smoothed out. They put another 80,000 miles on that car before they sold it. He did say It used a little oil after that.
SteveM C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2019 at 3:38pm
These dry sump stories sound like an episode of Red Green! LOL!!
AC 426 power View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC 426 power Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2019 at 4:33pm
Originally posted by wekracer wekracer wrote:

Dad tells a story of when he and mom were first married. She had a 66 mustang with a 289 and on the way to work one day she hit a rock in the driveway and knocked a hole in the oil pan. Half way to work it locked up.

They didn’t have any money so Dad towed it home put a new oil pan on and pulled the spark plugs and dumped oil in. He then hooked 2 - 12 volt batteries in series and hit the starter. He said it took 5 or 6 tries but finally cranked over. He put the plugs back in and when it started he said it rattled and banged and smoked but finally smoothed out. They put another 80,000 miles on that car before they sold it. He did say It used a little oil after that.
Neat story, them old 289s were tough engine's.
HaroldOmaha View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HaroldOmaha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2019 at 5:47pm
I had the same problem with my 45. Oil gauge fell out while plowing, engine started to knock bad. Scared me, thought I had ruined the engine. could not see gauge from the seat. let it cool down, drove it on to the trailer, went home got a new gauge, filled it with oil. started up and it ran normal, no smoke, went back finished plowing 6 hours. That was several years ago, still running normal today. Tough old tractor.
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2019 at 5:50pm
Actually, that don't look like the most oil I've ever seen, coming outta a WD exhaust.  If it were mine, and not knockin, I'd let her be, continue to run, just add oil as necessary...Thumbs Up
Source: Babylon Bee. Sponsored by BRAWNDO, its got what you need!
Dan Hauter View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan Hauter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2019 at 5:59pm
Wekracer:  What a story!  Maybe I like my wife's Mustang more than I thought.Smile
wekracer View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wekracer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2019 at 10:45pm
Originally posted by Dan Hauter Dan Hauter wrote:

Wekracer:  What a story!  Maybe I like my wife's Mustang more than I thought.Smile

I wish they would have kept it. They are hard to find these days.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic