This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Buda 292d engine

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wes Jackson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Buda 292d engine
    Posted: 17 Aug 2019 at 5:53am
I am looking for a good engine for my Fiat Allis 65 motor grader

Sponsored Links

DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2019 at 8:06am
I do not believe this a Buda Engine if is the later version M65 or 65B. These were a re-engineer of the old DD series and contain a few cosmetically appearing similarities but I am fairly certain the DDs were the Allis series engines as Farm Tractors had and would expect the 65 to have a Fiat supplied engine. Any chance of Year of machine and if has a 65B designation? In 1974 they adopted a better engine for the 65s, the Fiat engines were installed after 1979.

Edited by DMiller - 17 Aug 2019 at 8:09am
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2019 at 8:16am
I stand corrected, is a Lanova D262 series if prior to 1979. If is a D262 may wish to try for a 4BT Cummins change over or look to NORAM as to how they attached a later model CNH engine into the M65 Frame.
Wes Jackson View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wes Jackson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2019 at 8:22am
Mine is a model 65, I think early 70 model. What would be involved in changing over to a Cummins engine

Edited by Wes Jackson - 17 Aug 2019 at 9:03am
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wes Jackson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2019 at 9:50am
Will a Allis Chalmers 2900 fit this grader without a lot of mods, just weighing my options
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2019 at 10:01am
Most everything is side swapped, Fuel, Linkages etc, likely a better choice than a 4BT but would also have to find a flywheel compatible for the drive system or have one made for either. What is bad on the old engine?
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wes Jackson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2019 at 10:20am
Plug came out of intake and the engine sucked in about an acre of dust which ate the pistons,rings etc. Rebuild kit is 2 grand and pistons and rings are back ordered, trying to get grader up and running
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2019 at 1:08pm
Could wind up spending WELL beyond the $2k and still not be up and running. Biggest concern is flywheel design for connection to the drive transmission, cannot duplicate that on a purchase you are at the beck and call of what are deemed "Prototype" or single product machine shops. I would shop around as could and dig deeper try to find the parts to get this engine together.

Other option, go on Machinery Trader and try to locate a Pre 1979 M65 engine complete or a second machine just for yours to become a parts provider.

Edited by DMiller - 17 Aug 2019 at 1:10pm
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wes Jackson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2019 at 3:53pm
Thanks for the help and advice.I was hoping to find a running engine but not having any luck, guess I will wait on pistons and rings and rebuild mine.
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2019 at 3:55pm
Believe will be better off at least $$$$ wise.
Ian Beale View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ian Beale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2019 at 9:05pm
Originally posted by DMiller DMiller wrote:

I stand corrected, is a Lanova D262 series if prior to 1979. If is a D262 may wish to try for a 4BT Cummins change over or look to NORAM as to how they attached a later model CNH engine into the M65 Frame.

Would that have been the last Lanova system in production then?
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2019 at 4:54pm
I am thinking so, but had the Roosa Master style Injection pump instead of the Rotary PSB.
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wes Jackson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2019 at 5:42am
I found out the head is cracked so I have decided to sell this grader and a parts machine as well, block and crank are good, trans good,all hydralic cylinders rebuilt, make offer! Located near Florence SC
Steve allis dozer View Drop Down
Silver Level Access
Silver Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve allis dozer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2019 at 7:04pm
you could fit a 262 gas motor pretty easy 

Ian Beale View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ian Beale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2019 at 9:29pm
Did you get that head pressure tested?

A bloke here did up one of those motors on a DD.  Said it had head cracks but they didn't go anywhere under test so they used it.
TramwayGuy View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TramwayGuy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2019 at 10:22pm
Cracks on Lanova heads are common. Both Oliver/Waukesha and Allis/Buda. They are usually not fatal.
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wes Jackson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2019 at 4:46am
I got the head back from the machine shop and the cracks are hairline cracks where the injector holes are, was told this is common on these engines. I allready bought another grader so this stuff is still for sale.
Joe(TX) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe(TX) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2019 at 4:46pm
The Allis Chalmers Buda D262 has a Lavona combustion. I was used in D17 tractors and the M65 and DD graders among others.
1970 190XT, 1973 200, 1962 D-19 Diesel, 1979 7010, 1957 WD45, 1950 WD, 1961 D17, Speed Patrol, D14, All crop 66 big bin, 180 diesel, 1970 170 diesel, FP80 forklift. Gleaner A
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic