This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Price of eggs

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DougG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Price of eggs
    Posted: 08 Aug 2019 at 4:30pm
Got the local paper yesterday and a carton of eggs 18 count was .68 cents! Never seen them that cheap , just an observation but dam what do farmers get for them before the stores get them?
Sponsored Links

jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2019 at 5:02pm
not enough !!!

2 months ago we scored 5 cartons of duck eggs as the 'best before date' was 2 weeks away....wife called .how about 5 hdjhdjhjdf duck eggs...' sure I said, though she meant 5 dozen(usually 12 per carton up here..).... dang a CASE has 15 dozen in it !!!...
this week she brought home 4 dozen chicken egg 'cracks'...

sigh, farmers make the eggs but the middlemen make the money... NOT FAIR !!!
Jay
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
chaskaduo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chaskaduo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2019 at 5:19pm
I absolutely agree.
1938 B, 79 Dynamark 11/36 6spd, 95 Weed-Eater 16hp, 2010 Bolens 14hp
thendrix View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thendrix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2019 at 8:32pm
I'm not sure what the pay on commercial eggs is. If I'm not mistaken, they get paid by the flat which, I think, is 48 eggs. Don't hold me to that. What I can tell you is egg farmers work 7 days a week same as we do but they have to do it for 50 to 60 weeks straight. They have to be very regimented with their tasks also. Same thing, same time everyday or they'll have a short lay for a day or two because it stresses the birds. They make better than the meat growers do but they damn sure earn it to.

Edited by thendrix - 08 Aug 2019 at 8:32pm
"Farming is a business that makes a Las Vegas craps table look like a regular paycheck" Ronald Reagan
modirt View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote modirt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2019 at 7:49am
At that price, stores are selling eggs at below cost. Near here,  store that seems to be doing that the most is Aldi, and sometimes other stores do the same to compete. They consider it a loss leader to get you in the store where you will buy other stuff that isn't being sold at below cost.

BTW, I keep a few chickens and create a surplus of 7 to 10 doz per week, and sell mine at $2.50 a doz.....$5 for two dozen, which is the standard purchase. I can sell all I get for that price.

Eggs from chickens running around chasing bugs, eating all manner of green stuff and surplus garden vegetables are different than commercial grown eggs. Rich, dark yellow (orange) yolks. One guy told me he gave some to his grandkids and they complained they tasted funny. He told them.......no, that is how real eggs are supposed to taste.
FloydKS View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FloydKS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2019 at 8:30am
I get mine from one of my parishioners... so they are the good ones. She had  some trouble the other day, some animal got to her flock and did some damage. yep the farm fresh ones are different.
Holding a grudge is like taking poison and expecting the other person to die
modirt View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote modirt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2019 at 8:46am
The hardest part about raising chickens is keeping them alive. There are predators galore that like chicken.......and about the only thing chickens seem to be wary of are hawks. They will run and hide from hawks.  When I got my first flock a few years back, my mother advised me it was an ill fated adventure......that they would all die. As a little girl, they kept several hundred birds and sold eggs, and when I was a baby, she tried doing that on a smaller scale herself, and coons got them all. She eventually gave up and suggested I do the same.

So far, that has not been the case for me, but it's not for lack of predators. I am up to my neck in predators. The secret  is to keep them at night in a chicken house that nothing, absolutely nothing, can get into.........and during the day, keep them confined in an area surrounded by a super hot electric fence designed to keep chickens in an varmints out. I've lost track of the number of stray dogs who have found that fence. Last one I didn't see hanging around, but when the fence got him, he let out a yelp which I heard heard........and watched as he left a rooster tail of grass clippings in his wake.......he was 100 feet away and picking up speed when I last saw him......and has never been back.

Dakota Dave View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dakota Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2019 at 10:54am
I get my eggs from the local hutterite  colony they charge a dollar a dozen I pick them up at the egg processing center. some times I wait a couple minutes while they are boxing them up. they normally sell in 15 doz packs for stores they box either 12 or 18 egg cartons in a box for restruants they box 36 egg flats 15 doz to a box. the price at the store fluctuates with the current market price at the farm its always a dollar. we raised chickens back in the 70's you absolutey had to lock them at night but during the day we had a half wolf sheppard that guarded them. oddly we also had a Siamese cat that slept in the calving pen when we put the little chicks in it before adding them to the flock as they got older. the cat killed any varmit that came into the pen. one morning I went to the barn and three cats had a muskrat cornered in the pen till they managed to kill it. But they never touched the chicks.
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2019 at 2:04pm
Know two old guys(Brothers) that raise chickens as layers, they have upward of forty chickens going at any time, have heated and well lighted brood houses as well auto light controls for the roosting houses so the chickens can get to a routine summer/winter. They get $2.25/dozen so I asked how they can be cheaper than most, was explained buying feed for two or three chickens in a store is expensive, they mix their own of bulk materials bought by skid load and have massive outdoor yards for the chickens to exercise in during good weather and well protected from coon, fox and hawks. Chickens stop laying they have another guy they take the LIVE chickens to he kills, guts, plucks, scalds/scorches pin feathers off and packages for $2 a bird in volume, they then sell them for $5 each and make their original investment back. Do not make a killing but make a living.
tadams(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tadams(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2019 at 3:10pm
We just bought eggs at $.41 a dozen

200Tom1 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 200Tom1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2019 at 7:46pm
Old gal gets $2.00 per dozen and has to turn down a whole lot of people. I got 14 tonight. That's the most in a long time, sometime just get a couple.
critter View Drop Down
Silver Level Access
Silver Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote critter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2019 at 12:28pm
The companies that own most of the chickens are selling their eggs for 20 to 30 cents per dozen, while the cost of producing them is 50 to 60 cents per dozen. There are wayyy too many eggs on the market now
DaveKamp View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveKamp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2019 at 3:22pm
Our largest flock was 27 birds, and our last flock ended up being just 5 for over a year.  We lost our fair share to vermin- typically oppossums biting the birds' heads off, but our henhouse has an armored shell (galvanized sheet steel in the walls, floor, and ceiling) with thick hardware cloth mesh sides for ventilation, an automatic door that opens and closes.  The pen area is wire mesh that extends below soil level and horizontally out about 2 feet, so digging varmints go down, and hit wire mesh.  The perch inside is surrounded by sheet metal walls, so rats, mice, and other animals with claws can't climb to it... basically, if you don't have feathers, and are less than 5ft tall, you can't get to the perch. I have a watering trough that constantly flows, with an overflow spillway and a heated drain, so there's fresh water 24/7/365, and the feeders are located on the outside of the henhouse so that critters aren't attracted INTO the henhouse or laying boxes.  With all this in place, and the fact that the henhouse and pen are close to the house, we've done really well at keeping 'em alive and laying basically year-round, even with brutal cold and short daylight.

The extreme low prices are probably more due to excess perishable supply, rather than demand.

Interesting fact of poultry farming was told to me by a guy who ran three huge turkey operations a ways north of me:

He makes substantially more money selling the litter, than all the rest, but the meat and feathers are sold too... it was that over the course of raising the birds, he made $4 on litter, for every 1$ he made on meat and feathers.  I'm certain that the industry has changed in the last eight years, but I know with certainty... that they weigh lots of turkey pooh at our locations up there, and when we go to clean out the scale pits, there's no doubt what it is... Wacko
Ten Amendments, Ten Commandments, and one Golden Rule solve most every problem. Citrus hand-cleaner with Pumice does the rest.
Dave H View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2019 at 7:13am
Dave, the only solution to the varmit problem at my daughter's place was an electric fence.  Nary a problem since.
Kurt WI View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kurt WI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2019 at 12:56pm
My kids want laying hens badly. I keep giving them some excuse but it is what we can actually buy eggs for in town. No work, no worries about varmits and no extra smell!
Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2019 at 10:07pm
Originally posted by modirt modirt wrote:

Eggs from chickens running around chasing bugs, eating all manner of green stuff and surplus garden vegetables are different than commercial grown eggs. Rich, dark yellow (orange) yolks. One guy told me he gave some to his grandkids and they complained they tasted funny. He told them.......no, that is how real eggs are supposed to taste.
AMEN!!  And not only that, but the ONLY good chickens to eat.  Whether grilled, baked, or whatever.  But BEST of ALL,,,,,,,,,,Chicken soup!!  YELLOW FAT!!
"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic