This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

7045 loss of power

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveCinIN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 7045 loss of power
    Posted: 20 Jul 2019 at 9:43pm
I may need to get the injection pump for my 7045 checked out. Ed doesn't think it is the pump. It lost power going to round bale. I changed the fuel filter because I had just gotten a new to me fuel storage tank. Since changing filters it has been really hard to start. The primer pump leaks bad and I have a new one coming but it did pump fuel when I primed the system. Anyway I checked the turbo and it had a rough spot while spinning it so I put a brand new turbo, elbow and muffler on it. I need to check the timing. I have taken the entire air intake apart and inspected it. I have blown out the fuel supply line from fuel tank. I have taken the fuel filter mount, fuel lines and primer pump apart inspected, cleaned and reassembled, primed fuel system and started it. Still took ether to start, still low on power. Any other ideas. I won't be able to work on it again for 2 weeks but I need to have a good idea of what is causing the power loss and a plan to fix it.

Edited by DaveCinIN - 20 Jul 2019 at 9:45pm
AC 7045
AC 190XT with Gleaner L engine
Hesston, New Holland and New Idea hay equipment
OK, so what's the speed of dark?
Sponsored Links

exSW View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote exSW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2019 at 9:50pm
Did you check the boost?
DaveCinIN View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveCinIN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2019 at 10:16pm
Not yet but it is a brand new turbo identical to the original.
AC 7045
John D View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2019 at 7:23am
Also check the cap for the fuel tank, our 7040 went through a no power spell once (more smoke than normal etc) and took off the fuel tank cap and she ran like a top. Put on new fuel cap and away we went. Just a thought.
1964 D17 series 3
DaveCinIN View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveCinIN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2019 at 7:56am
I can blow through the vent on the fuel tank cap.
AC 7045
exSW View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote exSW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2019 at 8:35am
Originally posted by DaveCinIN DaveCinIN wrote:

Not yet but it is a brand new turbo identical to the original.
Is it blowing a lot of smoke out the exhaust? Is it white or black?
I'm no turbo expert, let alone AC but I have read a few things that indicate AC's were under turboed for their fuel delivery from the factory. Hence the "smoking Allis" moniker. A turbo that builds boost a little sooner might be the answer.

Edited by exSW - 21 Jul 2019 at 8:40am
DSeries4 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DSeries4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2019 at 8:49am
A new to you fuel storage tank - These things are notoriously bad for rusting, condensation and sediment accumulating in the bottom (especially used ones).  I would be willing to bet a lot of trash from that tank made its way in to the tractor's fuel tank.  I would take the tank off and get it flushed out real good.
'49 G, '54 WD45, '55 CA, '56 WD45D, '57 WD45, '58 D14, '59 D14, '60 D14, '61 D15D, '66 D15II, '66 D21II, '67 D17IV, '67 D17IVD, '67 190XTD, '73 620, '76 185, '77 175, '84 8030, '85 6080
DaveCinIN View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveCinIN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2019 at 9:05am
The fuel storage tank was still being used, looks clean inside. Previous owner filled up his skid steer and delivered the tank to me. I put on a new filter, hose and nozzle before using it. I had it filled twice since buying it.

Edited by DaveCinIN - 21 Jul 2019 at 9:08am
AC 7045
injpumpEd View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote injpumpEd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2019 at 10:19am
After all the diagnosis, you may end up needing the pump worked on. 
210 "too hot to farm" puller, part of the "insane pumpkin posse". Owner of Guenther Heritage Diesel, specializing in fuel injection systems on heritage era tractors. stock rebuilds to all out pullers!
cwhit View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cwhit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2019 at 10:42am
Spin on fuel filter or snap in style? Been having an issue with Agco snap in fuel filters. They don’t fit correctly. Thought it was just me but have talked to others that are having the same problem. They don’t leak but they suck in air. Neighbor of my ground the corners off of one to get it to fit better in the housing.
injpumpEd View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote injpumpEd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2019 at 11:04am
Chuck may be on to something. Your problems started when filter was changed? Then that is where you need to focus the diagnostics. Try getting a different filter from another supplier. While I can sure go through the pump, I'd hate for you to have that expense when it it a simple filter issue. This is why I drill that in to people's heads, make absolutely sure the fuel supply system is perfect. 
210 "too hot to farm" puller, part of the "insane pumpkin posse". Owner of Guenther Heritage Diesel, specializing in fuel injection systems on heritage era tractors. stock rebuilds to all out pullers!
DaveCinIN View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveCinIN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2019 at 11:59am
The loss of power was before the filter change. The difficult starting was after. Baldwin filter snap on style. When I can work on it again in a couple of weeks, I'll have new seals (ferrels) for the fuel lines and a kit for the primer and I will go through it again. Might put on an electric pump.

Edited by DaveCinIN - 21 Jul 2019 at 12:07pm
AC 7045
injpumpEd View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote injpumpEd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2019 at 1:28pm
probably best to yank the pump then, and bite the bullet. 
DaveCinIN View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveCinIN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2019 at 2:42pm
If I had time to pull it off, I could drop it off. I'll be close to Walnut on Tuesday late (too late) and again in 2 weeks but I don't have time now.
AC 7045
tbran View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tbran Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2019 at 3:41pm
remove the line to the back of the fuel pump- rotate it out so as to be able to slip a fuel line over it that is long enough to go into a 1 gallon jug of CLEAN fuel. insert the line going thru a hole drilled in the cap -  hose clamp the tube/line - crank and run to see if you have HP, this will eliminate the tractor fuel supply system in total.   The hardest job a pump has to do is crank the the tractor - if it cranks and does not run away and the metering valve is not stuck /sticking.... probably not the pump. You may have multiple issues.

Edited by tbran - 21 Jul 2019 at 3:43pm
When told "it's not the money,it's the principle", remember, it's always the money..
8070220 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8070220 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2019 at 5:19pm
I had a few do this same thing and I found a bad head gaskit not leaking any water but was blow between the cylinder .hard to strat no power. First one I did pump inj and all then put the head and there it was .
DaveCinIN View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveCinIN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2019 at 10:31pm
Well it was the injection pump. Got it rebuilt by Ed.
AC 7045
injpumpEd View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote injpumpEd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2019 at 7:11am
Yep, cam and rollers were all ground up, so was only putting out about half of what it is supposed to. Glad it's up and running again Dave!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic