This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

CA top link for BH

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hunt4Allis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: CA top link for BH
    Posted: 17 Jul 2019 at 4:03am
I've just temporarily got chain holding up top link for BH, but quickly found out why it's critical to be a rigid top link as every time i turn the square stock coming out of the PTO bangs into the support arms for the BH...
I'm thinking about just using some square stock to connect it so it's more rigid than chain but cheaper than an actual adjustable top link...(also my connection point on the tractor has tabs that are on top and bottom with a hole going through it vertically and the top link for a brush hog is the opposite so I'm not sure how a commercially made top link that's adjustable work work on this setup?
Sponsored Links

Jim.ME View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim.ME Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2019 at 6:06am
With an adjustable link when both ends are pinned the center is turned and will adjust equally on both ends as one is RH thread and the other is LH, like a turnbuckle. The threaded ends can be turned individually, the center may need to be held by hand, so one can be 90 degrees to the other. You will use a top link with 3 point equipment so I would recommend buying one to have. With your tractor and the BH on flat ground, measure for the length you need. The top link frame should be vertical on your BH. You want a link length that is extended half way to reach between them so you have adjustment available. If your top link point has a connection point that pivots you want it to have play to let the BH float (there will be slack in the top link pivot before the BH lifts). Post a photo of the connection points of your BH as it sounds like something is missing if it can drop and hit the pto. Many have links to the rear of the BH to hold the frame upright.

Gary Burnett View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary Burnett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2019 at 8:51am
Top link will not solve sway control which its sounds like what you are missing.That's the problem with cheap jack legging a 3pt hitch nothing ever really works right.Get a good top link and a set of those chain deals that hook to the lift pins and go up to the piece that holds the top link on the tractor a CA hydraulics will not hold the brush at the same level all the time.Plus the chains will help control the side to side sway.
GregLawlerMinn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GregLawlerMinn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2019 at 11:01am
I have welded top link brackets to the CA rockshaft. Cut out a pair of brackets from 3/8" flat stock and drill the top link holes in them. Raise the lift arms to max height and position the brackets so that they do not contact your seat (when you are setting in it). You can get the correct spacing between the brackets by installing a top link with a bolt thru the brackets and top link. Use washers for correct opening then tighten the nut. Finally tack the brackets to the rockshaft and weld the barckets into place.
What this country needs is more unemployed politicians-and lawyers.
Currently have: 1 D14 and a D15S2.
With new owners: 2Bs,9CAs,1WD,2 D12s,5D14s,3D15S2s, 2D17SIVs,D17D,1D19D;1 Unstyled WC
Hunt4Allis View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hunt4Allis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2019 at 11:29am
Originally posted by Gary Burnett Gary Burnett wrote:

Top link will not solve sway control which its sounds like what you are missing.That's the problem with cheap jack legging a 3pt hitch nothing ever really works right.Get a good top link and a set of those chain deals that hook to the lift pins and go up to the piece that holds the top link on the tractor a CA hydraulics will not hold the brush at the same level all the time.Plus the chains will help control the side to side sway.

Okay I will just have to get everything as tight as I can and deal with what I have until I can build and weld something up that is better to help stop the sway.
My hydraulics actually are doing the opposite when it has been said that AC Ace hydraulics will not hold up a brush hog, mine would not let it down after it was all the way up at the rays position even with me standing on the deck of the brush hog and the handle in the down position...
Dick L View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dick L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2019 at 11:52am
This right side chain and turn buckle keeps the implement from swinging to the left side. The one on the left side keeps it from swing to the right.

I still can not figure out why people with light tractors want to hook the top link to make the front light enough you can't steer the tractor. If you drive over something that hits the front of the rotay cutter the tractor will spin the rear tires before it lifts the cutter. The tires are loaded on this tractor and it spins when I catch a fence post on one side getting to close to the fence.

Just came in from using mine.

DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2019 at 5:36pm
The best toplink, ever constructed for ANY bush hog, was built by AC!

It transfers over to any 3 point hitch bush hog, too!

Source: Babylon Bee. Sponsored by BRAWNDO, its got what you need!
Jim.ME View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim.ME Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2019 at 6:56pm
After re-reading your post and looking at the photo you put in your other post, I think Gary is right. If the pto drive shaft is contacting the sides of the mast when you turn, that is a sway control issue. A top link won't fix that.
john(MI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john(MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2019 at 8:44pm
In case you missed it. Dick L's pictures are of a 5020 with a 5' brush hog.  That was discussed in a different post regarding the CA's capability of running one.
D14, D17, 5020, 612H, CASE 446
Dick L View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dick L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2019 at 8:52pm
After the cutter is attached to the CA and is centered between the rear tires you could bolt a chain to the bolt holes in the lower final drive and fasten to the three point behind the lift arms on both sides. That would be a quick way to stop the sway until you could make it permanent. My picture shows an eye bolt just ahead of the lift arms. It wouldn't take a heavy chain to hold it in he center.

Edited by Dick L - 17 Jul 2019 at 8:54pm
Gary Burnett View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary Burnett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2019 at 9:08pm
Originally posted by DiyDave DiyDave wrote:

The best toplink, ever constructed for ANY bush hog, was built by AC!

It transfers over to any 3 point hitch bush hog, too!

I agree on that built in height adjustment never seen anything like it anywhere else.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic