This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

engine stuck

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TimNearFortWorth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2019 at 2:07pm
Just went thru this for D15II (160 motor) and could not find anyone locally that had them, nor were bothered with ordering them.
We all know how most "counter babies" can be clueless at auto parts stores and I actually visited one that it should have been no problem for as a national chain.
Put my old plug on the counter (chisel slot that I opened up with a punch during removal) and the kid behind the counter stated "I don't know what it is but I guarantee we don't have any with a hole in them like that" . . . . 
Looked thru the boxes they had in the back with the store manager and we could not find any "tall" enough.
I wanted OEM style and had built up a wish list including valve cover gasket (also no luck ordering locally) and the valve cover grommets so put together an order via Sandy Lake Implement, arrived today.
$1.42 ea. at Sandy Lake and Brenda can set you up: 724-376-2489
Best to change all of them while you are in there as you never know when one will fail, took very little effort to fall right through mine as they were rotten.
I had serviced this tractor originally bought for parts nearly two years ago and pulled the stick last month before moving it from the back of the shop where it was buried. Two qts. overfilled on the dipstick and pulled same from pan before refilling rad and pulling valve cover. Blotted out plugs and drop of green antifreeze showed up instantly.
Hopefully that will sort yours and no damage to bearings from antifreeze, I will be changing oil twice on this ol' gal as it will be put to work, D15II factory 3-pt. SFW with optional spool valves.
Sponsored Links

chaskaduo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chaskaduo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2019 at 3:38pm

Core plug is the same for the B and C by the parts book, AGCO # 70203093.

# 70203093: = 1-1/4" core plug = 1.13" ID, 1.26" OD, .33" deep 1.260" is a standard OD for 1-1/4" cup plugs.

1938 B, 79 Dynamark 11/36 6spd, 95 Weed-Eater 16hp, 2010 Bolens 14hp
frnkeore View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frnkeore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2019 at 4:20pm
My question is, if it's the core plugs, in the head, how is the antifreeze, getting in the cylinder to lock it up?
Frank
1959 D17 Series I #24001+, '59 D14
'55 & '59 Ford 850 & 861
Ferguson TO 35 Deluxe, Oliver 70 and 5 more.
Dick L View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dick L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2019 at 4:56pm
Core plugs! The plugs used to plug holes in sand casting, they are placed in the castings to remove the sand used to make hollow internal passages.

This head had a leak in one of the core plugs wrongly called freeze plugs.

I replaced them all but I found the one leaking ,that I couldn't see, using a torch. The tiny pin hole turned red at the pin hole.

I didn't read he found fluid in the cylinder. I read that he was able to use a pry bar to move the flywheel and then could turn it with a crank. The engine not turning with the starter may or may not be connected to the green antifreeze on top of the head and in the pan. Replacing oil with water could cause it to turn hard enough to stall the starter. When the engine has fresh oil and new freeze plugs it will start the next chapter with new problems if they exist.

Edited by Dick L - 22 Jul 2019 at 5:01pm
Brian Jasper co. Ia View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian Jasper co. Ia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2019 at 4:05pm
Something else to consider is vermin in the bell housing. It's possible a big mouse condo got balled up and jammed the flywheel. 
Several years ago when I was still at the Ford dealer they had sold a new GT350 Mustang to a customer who was known for spinning donuts and completely burning off the back tires first thing off the lot. (He had more money than sense) One day it showed up on a roll back and he said it just quit running coming down an off ramp to a stop. It was seized tight. Ford said to not touch it, they would send an engineer to look at it. The engineer verified it was indeed seized and ordered a fully dressed engine for it. As I went to pull it out, I had considerable difficulty separating it from the trans. All at once when it did separate, I heard a tink noise. There was a mangled bolt that had backed out of the front of the trans and when he stepped on the clutch and brake, it rolled forward and got stuck between the flywheel teeth and bell housing locking the engine. 
You never know what varmints will bring in there...
"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian." Henry Ford
Wispitfiremike View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wispitfiremike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2019 at 12:04am
We check all of the suggestions here as they have been proven by others experiences, and if part or all work we have again helped out the next guy who might say you know that sounds like what we have going on too. II already called the number provided above and ordered the parts which they have on order but great resource as she knew exactly what I was looking for.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic