This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

question for the welders,,,,

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: question for the welders,,,,
    Posted: 15 Jul 2019 at 5:05am
   Well,,the wife finally gots her Prosthesis but she is hesitant to give it a try with just the walker just yet,,,
 I noticed a "trainer" in the Dr's office that amounts to two horizontal pieces of 1 1/4" tubing bout 30" high and just wide enough for her wheel chair to fit between these two rails. The patients maneuver their wheel chair in there and then transfer standin up onto these rails and practice walkin bout 5 feet then back to wheel chair,,,(clear as mud?)
 The Dr told me that medicare will not pay for this "trainer" for home use and they are VERY expensive,,so knowin ole Joe's engineerin mind  like I do,,,I'm gonna make her one Clap 
 I got some measurements while at Dr's office and looks like the uprights for 1 1/4" chain link fencing will do the job and it is nice and shiny galvanized,,,,, These are precut at 5'-6" long, which would be just bout right as far as length of "trainer".
 I started cuttin 45° ends but am havin some issues gettin the horizontal to vertical 45° ends to match up just so-so. I went to weldin shop to see if they had some templates but in this little ole burg,,you can't ever find chit,,,,dang it,,,!!! I thought bout just saddling the verticals onto the horizontal pieces but that don't "look" good,,,soooooo,,,,  How do the welders of the world address this little issue,,,???
 This is why I needed a GOOD mig,,,,!!!!Clap

Sponsored Links

jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2019 at 5:23am
do NOT use galvanized steel !!! welding fumes from it are POSOINOUS !!!
if you use it, grind off ALL galv at least 2" from the welding 'zone'. Also have a good fan blow the fumes way out of the shop !!

As for the actual welding, I cut some 3/4" plywood into perfsct triangles, then drill 2 x 2" holes on the 2 sides( not the hypotenus( long side)),that are about an inch from the edge. I use a 3" C-clamp to clamp the wood jig to the steel. I use them when welding trailer frames , and every one of them is SQUARE !!

Jay
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
darrel in ND View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darrel in ND Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2019 at 6:05am
EXACTLY WHAT JAY SAID!!!! DO NOT USE GALVANIZED!!!!!
I came so close to killing myself welding galvanized pipe when I was young and stupider, that it was scary. Me and a friend had a project going on in his shop in the dead of winter, that we were welding galvanized pipe together because we didn't know any better. Because it was cold out, we didn't open a door for ventilation or anything. Luckily, his dad came along on time and opened up the overhead door and cleared the smoke out and straightened us out on the finer points of "not welding galvanized pipe." I got so sick that night in a way that I had never been sick before, and so did my buddy. Someone told me after that, that your body can only handle X amount of those fumes over a lifetime. In other words, my body probably reached its limit that time, and my next whiff of galvanizing fumes could be my last. Darrel
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darrel in ND Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2019 at 6:13am
Sorry to get off the point of your original question there Joe. When building stuff with pipe, I have a technique that I use for making saddles. You will have to do much experimenting with scrap pipe to get it down though. I set my chop saw at 33 degrees cut angle. Nip off one edge of the pipe to be saddled at this angle, then give the pipe a half turn and nip the other edge at this angle, and you should have a saddle. Maybe if you don't get what I am saying, I can get some pictures to you. Darrel
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darrel in ND Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2019 at 6:47am
I was doing some thinking while I took a shower, Joe, and came up with a great idea for you. Just go to an exhaust shop, pick out the size pipe that you need, and just have them bend it so that it does the up 30 inches, over 5 feet, another bend and back down. Have make two of them and take em home and paint em. Darrel
im4racin View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote im4racin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2019 at 7:14am
the best part of that Darrel, is no sharp edges.  we all know that wobbly people fall, and sharp edges are not good!
Thad in AR. View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2019 at 7:55am
I have a few of those Harbor fright triangle square magnets tor tack welding mitered corners. De burr and gap a little.
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2019 at 8:24am

OH, I agree with the danger of the galvanized welding and thought I had addressed it ,,maybe it was on another thread,,,,,All weldin was done outside of shop and close to my swamp cooler,,,Wink
 Hey Jay,,guess I'm not followin you ,,,if you make a "perfesct" triangle,,,aren't both the legs AND the hypotenuse all the same length,,,,Wink I'm not followin how  you used the holes,,,???   kinda slow this mornin,,,,LOL
 Thas a good idea,,Darrel,,,only'ist thing,,back when I needed some 1 1/2" exhaust pipe for the Onan engine on the Miller welder,,the smallest pipe the local muffler shop carried was 2",,,small town problem,,,,,
  I'll have to go to the alien town in a couple of days and check those shops out. I bet they could bend me a four 5' pieces with 90's on each end with the stubs to be 15" long,,, then I can weld the stubs together and have the two rectangular shaped sides that are 5' long and 30" high like I need,,, Great idea, Darrel,,!!
 I've seen thos,,Thad,,and gonna get some now,,!!
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2019 at 9:16am

is the picture worth '1000 words'?

Jay
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
chaskaduo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chaskaduo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2019 at 9:29am
Yes it is. Thumbs Up

But I don't have that many.

That would help with PVC pipe etcetera.

Edited by chaskaduo - 15 Jul 2019 at 9:31am
1938 B, 79 Dynamark 11/36 6spd, 95 Weed-Eater 16hp, 2010 Bolens 14hp
JC-WI View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JC-WI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2019 at 9:49am
I just moved some old 1 1/2" galvanized conduit the other day I woulda given you... but, personally, I would not put galvanized coated stuff up for hand rails... dam crap never seems to quit leaving some of that on the hands. Old galvanized pipe don't seem to do that... The new stuff, I don't know if it is coated like the old stuff. And regular pipe would be so much stronger... and heavier.
  If you do use some conduit, you could use the 90 degree sweeps and weld them on and grind the ridges off?

Joe, go get some old Stainless Steel 1 1/2" milk pipeline, maybe find it in some scrapyard in their stainless piles... That should really look 'PROFESSIONAL' when ol' Joe is done... Wait, I suppose you didn't have much in dairies out your way in the desert did you. well, guess that scraps that idea.Cry
Boy that would have looked good...
But at $152.00 for the 1.5 INCH x 20 FT SS MILK/WASH TUBING seems kind of expensive... to bad if you can't find some in a scrap yard. I have some 10' glass... be kinda hard to weld...Wink

Ever see one of these 'wrap arounds'? 

[TUBE]DBWL-IEx3EQ[/TUBE]
He who says there is no evil has already deceived himself
The truth is the truth, sugar coated or not. Trawler II says, "Remember that."
Ray54 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2019 at 10:46am
Picture much appreciated Jay.

Joe look that marketplace over good, may find a China junk pipe bender Wink for cheap.

Also ask the muffler shop if they would bend pipe you supplyConfused you don't know unless you ask. You know Confused if you give them the sob story about poor old you just needs to help the old lady.............. loving wife.

Beside watching the wind to stay away from fumes from welding galvanized,you are to give black label and even some water and drink all the milk you can hold. Something about the bad stuff gets flushed out with the milk.Confused Only been 50 years since I learned such stuff details are ............................... fading.LOL

Now just be careful Ouch how you suggest the old la......... Wink loving wife needs use the device you  build being so wonderful yourself. 

Edited by Ray54 - 15 Jul 2019 at 11:10am
tadams(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tadams(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2019 at 12:44pm
Why does it have to be 1 1/2" why can't it be 2" exhaust pipe
JC-WI View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JC-WI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2019 at 2:50pm
Joe, I did some lookin an, and I decided ye just might as well make it outta some ol pipe and screw some elbows on and attach some verticle pipes on with some flanges and bolt it to tha floor

See this one here? nuthin fancy...
an this one looks like a 1X6 the rails are bolted to at the bottom, so it isn't bolted to the floor. (Maybe the 1x6 is nailed to the floor?)
Heres a wood one...
OK, I is outta here...
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2019 at 3:37pm
 WELL,,i'll be,,Jay
Thas just as plain as day
 HEY,,hey,,hey,,,,,,WinkClap

( I think you draw lots better than you tal,,,um never mind,,,,,LOL

JC,,!!! where did you find them pics I guess I didn't use the right words for my searchs. I'm really likin the one where the young fellar with the wisconsin Tshirt is.  Wisht I could see if they saddled the risers into the horizontals,,,,, I wasn't gonna use 1X4 boards like they did on the ends because I thought there might be a tripping hazard or hard to get the wheel chair into and out of the apparattus. I thought maybe tie'in the two sides together with 1"X 2" X 1/4" strap to lessen the chance of tripping but maybe not an issue,,??
 I notice the wooden one is the only'ist design that uses vertical risers in between the two end pieces,,,,wonder why,,??
 Hey Tadams,,the reason for the small size tubing is most women gots little bitty hands and can't grab a 2" pipe without losing their grip,,,,thas what her Dr told me,,,,,Wink and here I never knew why she never could grab and hold on to ,,,,errr,,,,never mind,,,,!!!!
 I AM OUTA HERE,,,!!!!

JC-WI View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JC-WI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2019 at 7:03pm
Well DJ, Glad to hear Joyce has progressed to this point...  and just remember to behave yursef, cuzz if your to close and ye gets her to mad, she mights gives ye a kick that ye might nots furgits... an she won't feel a thing.
  As for searching, I forgot what words I used now, but here's a link that is somewhat close...
Google changed their page appearance and I believe they changed their search too to more garbage that does not pertain to what a feller is searching for.Angry Should bounce a dam big rock off their kanoggin.Evil Smile
TMiller/NC View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TMiller/NC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2019 at 7:32pm
DJ,  set saw table where pipe is held level, so when 1st 45 mitre is made the the cut is square with table, then when pipe is turned around to make 45 cut on other end just stick pocket level on end, rotate pipe until level shows plumb, clamp down and cut.    Clear as mud??????????????????????????
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2019 at 4:25am
 Hey TMiller,,,I'ma gonna try that as I been using some "lines" that the pipe has on outside to keep the 45'a even and square with each other,,,, After all the suggestions plus those links from ole JC,,I changed my plan and am gonna use 6"X 6" X 3/16" plates  to weld to the btm of the risers per one of the pics,,,I think I was trying to Over-engineer the side rails but simple is better on this one,,,,Clap I was gonna tie both sides together for stability,,but none of the samples have that so,,,,,, "one less thing to worry bout" like my Buddy, Forrest, used to say,,,,Clap
Stan IL&TN View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stan IL&TN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2019 at 5:49pm
Well Joe I would help you but you could fit all my knowledge on welding in a thimble. Only thing I have welded with was one of those Lincoln AC-DC 225 stick welder so that I used in my high school welding class and that has been a few days ago.......maybe 42 years worth of days that is. I did get all A's if that matters.🙄
1957 WD45 dad's first AC

1968 one-seventy

1956 F40 Ferguson
JoeO(CMO) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeO(CMO) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2020 at 11:32am
have you looked at the Aluminum entrance panel meter things? Could get a nice shine on them and lighter

HD6GTOM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD6GTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2020 at 10:18pm
DJ are you a veteran. Dad was a WW2 vet. The legion furnishes some of that stuff here. They furnish my 97 year old mom with a basic wheel chair. Brother was in a chair for 25 years. They furnished him with some equipment, but I was in another part of the country and do not know what they furnished him. I do know at one time he had something like that. He passed away and when we had his sale it was not there. The legion just ask that you return the stuff when you are done with it.   You might ask.
Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2020 at 10:40pm
Looking at the pictures I kind of think they are adjustable for height also for each person so might want to measure height you need also from Dr Office . 
 Then making sure those 2 sides cant move outward when weight is put on them is the next part so good mount on bottom is next problem
 1  1/2 " conduct would work also and factory 90 at each end - or go with rigid conduct / water pipe and use threaded T down to floor flange - 
  Or cheap way 2x4 and build it all out of wood - no welding needed 

Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2020 at 2:35am

Well,,I just noticed, this was one of my posts a few Sundays ago,,,and is very heart warming about all the support this group gives those of us in need of some suggestions,,,,  It is the great part of BTDT that helps everybody,,,,by sharing ideas,,,,ClapClap
 As a follow-up I also read that I never did fill ya'll in on what I wound up doing,,,,Wink What I built is a copy of the third pic that JC posted, using some 1 1/4" tubing like the pic but I added an extra vertical riser with a 4"X4" plates welded to all 8 of the risers and all of them bolted to the floor. The middle riser is set bout 6" from the wall and also has a support piece that bolts to a wall stud for stability. HFS,,!!
 The other hand rail has a kicker on both end pieces at a 45° and is also bolted to the floor. The whole thing is HFS. One of these days,,I'm gonna get me a phone that will talk to my PC so I can post pics again,,,cause,,,,cause,,unlike some others I know,,,I love postin pics,,,!!
 Thanks to everybody,,,ClapClap
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2020 at 1:22am
isn't it GRAND what all these dudes come up with and how to do it! it's what make AC people special! Joe...maybe if you gits good nuff, you could make some and sell them to the Doc cheaper than them other shister companies?
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2020 at 9:25am

Yeah,,Shameless,,I thought bout that,,,,,,for bout 10 seconds,,then shook the thought,,!! In these times what with lawsuit happy people,,it would take just one little "accident" to ruin a person forever and i ain't wantin to have to buy millions of dollars of insurance just to make a few dollarsLOLLOL
Unit3 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unit3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2020 at 12:46pm
Do you know anyone around the builds race car frames? Our local man sells steel also builds frame. He can put bends and saddle cuts on the ends. He has a jig with a hole saw that cuts it perfect every time.
2-8070FWA PS/8050PS/7080/7045PS/200/D15-II/2-WD45/WD/3-WC/UC/C
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic