This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Radiator Shop Plug

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TimCNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Radiator Shop Plug
    Posted: 14 Jul 2019 at 11:49am
Pun intended lol. But seriously, for anyone in the central NY area i.e. Utica, a shop called Syracuse Radiator at 167 Taft Ave in Frankfort just across the county line from Utica. The radiator in my 6140 had leaked since I bought the tractor. I brought it to a friend last year, he soldered up the few small pin holes in the upper tank that he found but it was leaking again within a week and progressively worsened. Last week I took it to Richard at Syracuse Radiator, lots of people recommended him. Business has been in the family well over 100 years. He looked it over, asked me the story, he said probably whoever soldered it used too much heat and opened up soldered areas near to what they were doing. I brought it in on Wednesday, on Thursday he called to say it was all set. Just what he thought was wrong, the other guy used too much heat and loosened up the neck on top tank. He apologized for having to charge his minimum of one hour labor, hourly rate $60. I asked how much it would've been to recore, he said yikes, I wouldn't want to know, I said yes I do... "Well, I'm sorry to say, it would be right close to $200." Considering that new ones can't be found (he looked ahead of time to cross-reference in case it couldn't be repaired) for any price, and a used one from Heitman would run me $375 + $70 shipping, that's seems a steal to me.
Anyways, if you're around the area, he's top notch. Little shop but he gets it done. Mostly farm tractors these days. And for the first time, what a pleasure to work a full day without having to be on edge about coolant loss. After only 2-3 hours work before, it would lose almost a half gallon. Stop cool down, add coolant, resume work. Stupid way to work. I only wish I'd gone sooner, especially if I'd known how inexpensive and how high quality his work would be.

So that's my plug. I hope it benefits you AND him.
- Tim
Sponsored Links

Hubert (Ga)engine7 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hubert (Ga)engine7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2019 at 12:35pm
Nice that there are still people out there that do good work at a reasonable price (well, maybe not reasonable in his case, I think it would have been worth a lot more).
Just an old country boy saved by the grace of God.
Michael V (NM) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Michael V (NM) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2019 at 8:29pm
I found a shop like this in Albuquerque...they will do about anything,, they even had a core in stock for my old 359 Pete,the 'local' shop at Amarillo just wants to sell new...
I think their the kind of shop, if they can't fix it, they can get a new core....and reasonable on the price too...
Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2019 at 8:48pm
Tim, have you got an address or phone number for us?  There's a few that come up with a google search.  Thanks!
"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17
TimCNY View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TimCNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2019 at 7:39am
Sure Ted, but I think shipping from Wisconsin to New York would make it cost prohibitive lol...
Syracuse Radiator
167 Taft Ave
Frankfort, NY 13340
Phone: 315-732-5517
Richard is the guy, leave a message if no answer, he works alone and lives next door to the shop, so lunch with family is a big thing lol!
WF owner View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WF owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2019 at 6:53am
Thanks for posting this Tim! 
Although it's about a 3 hour ride, it's good to know. All the radiator shops close to home have closed over the years.
Lonn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lonn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2019 at 7:15am
Cheap Chinese junk radiators are replacing these shops.
-- --- .... .- -- -- .- -.. / .-- .- ... / .- / -- ..- .-. -.. . .-. .. -. --. / -.-. .... .. .-.. -.. / .-. .- .--. .. ... -
Wink
I am a Russian Bot
ac hunter View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2019 at 7:20am
     Good to hear that there are good honest people still working and not charging an arm and a leg for what they do. Sounds like he was almost apologetic for what he had to charge for a new radiator. We used to have a shop like that around here years ago. The guy's advertisement said his shop was "the best place to take a  leak". Others probably use that line too.
WF owner View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WF owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2019 at 7:21am
Originally posted by Lonn Lonn wrote:

Cheap Chinese junk radiators are replacing these shops.

All the guys that were doing this, were older guys (at least in our area).  Everyone now are parts changers. They would rather replace with a new one and none of the new ones are copper.
TimCNY View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TimCNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2019 at 8:14am
First, to Ted - I hope you know I understood your request, was just making a joke there.
But yeah, Richard is in his seventies and when he's gone, so is the family business. It's not pleasant to think about what things have come to.
Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2019 at 8:39pm
Tim, that is the way of all things in America because of the greedy politicians.
Trump is TRYING to get production BACK into this country and that is why the pols are fighting them, they are going to lose LOTS of money on the companies they own.
Hopefully I won't need his help in the near future, but you never know.  There aren't any good ones left around here anymore.
"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic