This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Wind blew the door off

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian F(IL) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Wind blew the door off
    Posted: 08 Jul 2019 at 8:19am
The wind finally got the other door on my old corn crib recently.  We've had so many storms come through, I'm not sure which one did the damage.  Found this yesterday when I went out to mow grass.  It's about time to tear the old crib down...

Sponsored Links

FloydKS View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FloydKS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2019 at 8:25am
you could sell the wood to some "artsy" person or that person who wants the "rustic" look in their home
Holding a grudge is like taking poison and expecting the other person to die
Brian F(IL) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian F(IL) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2019 at 8:38am
You're right, Floyd.  Some of the interior wood boards have already been removed.  I've got a buddy who has made some of them into rustic picture frames.
Stan IL&TN View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stan IL&TN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2019 at 9:53am
If nothing else try to save the framing because when ran through a planer they look better than what you can buy today and can make some fine furniture with them.
1957 WD45 dad's first AC

1968 one-seventy

1956 F40 Ferguson
Hubert (Ga)engine7 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hubert (Ga)engine7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2019 at 10:28am
Agreed. Repurpose all of that wood you can. Much better that what you can get these days.
Just an old country boy saved by the grace of God.
Pat the Plumber CIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pat the Plumber CIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2019 at 11:51am
There are companies that will dismantle and clean up a site for the reclaimed wood . Just make sure and get a deposit to cover any mess , messes that they may leave.
You only need to know 3 things to be a plumber;Crap rolls down hill,Hot is on the left and Don't bite your fingernails

1964 D-17 SIV 3 Pt.WF,1964 D-15 Ser II 3pt.WF ,1960 D-17 SI NF,1956 WD 45 WF.
PaulB View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2019 at 2:01pm
There is one of those places in the closest town to me. I don't have any idea of how far they will travel. However they must be doing something right, they've been in business for a long time. 
If it was fun to pull in LOW gear, I could have a John Deere.
If you can't make it GO... make it SHINY
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2019 at 2:42pm
Amish and Mennonite around here will tear buildings like this down FOR FREE and cart off ALL the materials, site will be slick when leave.
tadams(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tadams(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2019 at 2:46pm
A guy around here takes beams and makes tongue and groove flooring
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2019 at 3:07am
put sum tin on the outside and you'll have a good shop area
Brian F(IL) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian F(IL) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2019 at 11:14am
Originally posted by shameless dude shameless dude wrote:

put sum tin on the outside and you'll have a good shop area

This crib is located on the family farmstead about two miles south of town.  No one lives there and it is the last building remaining.  I used to keep my WC and CA in there when I used the CA to mow.  But, vandals kept breaking in and stealing stuff (gas, batteries, oil filters believe it or not).  So, I had to abandon the crib and built a new shed at my house in town.  It's not big enough either.

I don't know what I'm going to do with the crib.  The outside boards are weather rotten and some have termites.  The hard lumber on the inside still appears to be good.  But, I'm not going to a lot of effort to tear it apart.  We'll see...
Pat the Plumber CIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pat the Plumber CIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2019 at 12:37pm
Local fire dept need some practice ? Would hate to see the good wood in there destroyed but it may take more effort than it is worth . I helped friend take 2 barns apart for the wood . He was a carpenter and finished the inside of an old barn with the wood he saved and turned it into a house / home . Made it very nice inside . A retired couple his parents knew fell in love with it and he sold it to them . He thought about doing it again but too much work and we are all older with less free time . Google reclaimed barn wood and I vet you could find someone interested. Like I posted earlier , get a deposit. My friend wrote deposit checks to the barn owners . When we were done cleaning up to their satisfaction the tore up the checks. Keeps someone from taking the good and leaving a mess.
You only need to know 3 things to be a plumber;Crap rolls down hill,Hot is on the left and Don't bite your fingernails

1964 D-17 SIV 3 Pt.WF,1964 D-15 Ser II 3pt.WF ,1960 D-17 SI NF,1956 WD 45 WF.
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2019 at 11:37pm
I cut the bridge planks outta the floor of the second story from one near here. they bring good money at auctions as farmers want them for their Donahue trailers.
Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2019 at 10:55pm
SHOULD of had paint every other year.  That would have made a difference.
"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17
tadams(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tadams(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2019 at 12:58pm
Ted paint wouldn't hold the doors on
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic