This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Difficulty starting 5040

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DJB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Difficulty starting 5040
    Posted: 25 Jun 2019 at 12:38pm
I have an AC5040. During the winter it requires being plugged in but when we went to use it the other day it wouldn't start and we had to plug it in for 2 hours. Is this typical?
Sponsored Links

Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2019 at 12:40pm
I guess that depends on your location.......But at this time of year I'd say that's not typical. 
Jim.ME View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim.ME Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2019 at 1:45pm
Gretna: FL, LA, NE, VA, United Kingdom, or none of these?

Doesn't seem like it should need heat this time of year.

Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2019 at 2:30pm
The interesting question is did the heat actually help it, or was it a coincidence that it started after 2 hours of heat????  If the heat helped, then.....poor compression?  Seems the logical problem?
Larry in NC View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Larry in NC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2019 at 4:16pm
I had a 5040 a few years ago and it normally started fine without heat in warm weather.  Heating the oil is a slow process.  The tractor has a manifold heater which would be the effective way to heat it when cold oil is not an issue.  If your heater is not working, they are cheap to replace.  
Gary Burnett View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary Burnett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2019 at 7:16pm
Those need a good battery to really turn the motor over fast,plus hold the throttle wide open
when you're cranking it.Make sure the starter isn't dragging.
Also if it starts by plugging it in have you tried the preheat to start it?
wheatbreeder View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wheatbreeder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2019 at 7:31pm
we had one years ago Gary is correct the need to be spun fast 

Farm stuff 8050,6690,175,F2,5050,WD
Dave (NE) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave (NE) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2019 at 12:08pm
If it is not spinning fast enough, is this a starter issue or the battery not being big enough?

FYI - it is Gretna Nebraska.  Has been warm enough that it shouldn't require being plugged in.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience. Mark Twain.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic