This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

welding sub frame

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ocharry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: welding sub frame
    Posted: 24 Jun 2019 at 11:34am
hey guys i recently bought a back hoe attachment to use on my 170,,,i did the job i got it for ,,,putting culverts in the creek so i can get into the back field,,,,that thing worked really good,,,i was trying to be gentle with it because of what i have read about needing a sub frame

so on with this,,,my 170 has a bush hog loader already on it,,,its one of those where the loader hooks up to a cross tube in the middle of the tractor,,(i talked to the previous owner and from what i can tell this loader has been on the tractor since new,,,i am the 3rd owner ),,,and ever since i have had it i thought it needed bars or something to tie it to the back of the tractor somewhere ( axle housings ) and now that i have this hoe i really wanted to get this done,,,,SO,, i got clamps made and some tubing,,,,had it all mocked up,,,all the pieces are cut and fit ready to weld ,,,but i want to tack it all together on the tractor,,,,( think its going to work out good and make everything stronger ),,,,i think i remember reading where the GOOD DR. said all good loaders had a sub frame to help take some of the stress off the tractor,,,,so thats what i am trying to do 

lol,,,,SO,,on to the real question,,,should i disconnect the battery and alternator before i start tacking this together,,,,i want it to be all tacked up and then take it off to weld and paint it,,,then put it back on the tractor,,,,,dont want to blow anything up

SO ,,,what you guys think,,,just get it where i want it and tack it together OR disconnect the battery and alternator before i start???

thanks 

ocharry
Sponsored Links

ac fleet View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac fleet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2019 at 11:40am
Disconnect the batts! ---some do some don't, I always do, saves the chance of killing the alternator! ---If you keep the ground clamp close to the weld area, this is s'posed to work, but why take the chance!
http://machinebuildersnetwork.com/
LeonR2013 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LeonR2013 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2019 at 8:38pm
Probably a good Idea. By the way, what are you welding it with?    Leon
john(MI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john(MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2019 at 9:02pm
I suppose any conductivity would run from the spark to the ground.  So I'm thinking to keep the ground clamp on the away side of the spark, away from the tractor.

But just disconnect the neg cable on the battery just to be safe!
D14, D17, 5020, 612H, CASE 446
Ken(MI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken(MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2019 at 9:37pm
Disconnect the battery and the alternator and you can be sure everything will still work when you are done. Five minutes of labor for the peace of mind that everything will still work when you are done, and the battery won't grenade in the middle of you welding.
ocharry View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ocharry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2019 at 9:53pm
I got I all tacked together today...I unhooked the battery like you guys suggested...turned out nice

I unhooked the positive side of the battery...left the ground hooked up

I put the ground strap of the welder on the end of the tube at the back of the tractor....I guess so I was welding the steel and not running any current through the tractor per say

Well I used my Mig welder for the tacking....this tubing I bought is 1\4" wall so I had it turned up pretty hot...175 amp

I know they say to use stick for structural stuff...and I get it...more penetration

I dont know if I'm going to use it for all the welding or not...probably will...it will lay it down turned up like that

It looks good on there and I will feel better about using the loader and for sure the backhoe

I did put a battery box on it..just to make it easier to change the battery...and get it out of the hole they put it in....so when this battery goes bad it will get moved to its new home....and a step and a little platform so its kinda two steps up now....tried that out....I'm gonna like the steps

Hooked the battery back up and moved it back to the barn for now...alternator seemed to be working fine..gonna get the frames off tomorrow and weld them up...install all the gussets and the rest of the stuff I'm putting on them....get them painted and the back on the tractor....just wanted to get them tacked together on the tractor so they are nice and level and straight with each other so the load is even

I will try and get some pics for you guys later

Thanks for all the input for sure

Ocharry
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2019 at 12:59pm
Wire feed works OK, if you bevel the original metal down deep,, then fill in with the wire feed, then put a second or third pass on top... that gets you the thickness you want.. If your material is 1/4 inch, then the WELD should be at least 1/4 inch thich.... don't do much good to have 1/4 inch material if the welds are 1/8 inch thick..
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
ocharry View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ocharry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2019 at 4:20pm
Yep steve...I did put a good bevel on all the joints to be welded

I think the mig turned up hot like I got it should be fine too

Trimmed trees today....lol...always something else to do....but the frames are ready for welding now....so next step is getting back to that job....looks like maybe the weekend now..dang it...but I will get it done before the hoe goes back on.....fur sure

Ocharry
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic