This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tractor Moving Trailer

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnCO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2019 at 12:04am
I see fifth wheel campers pulled by a 3/4 pickup with a boat trailer or atv trailer towed behind the 5th wheel.  No brakes on the 2d trailer.  This is on I70 through the Rockies.
"If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer"
Allis Express participant
Sponsored Links

Dakota Dave View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dakota Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2019 at 9:34am
That's leagle in 28 states. If it's leagle in the state your plated in its also leagle for you to tow within 10 miles of the interstate of any other state. Here in North Dakota it must be under 70' total length. And we are on of the very few states that allows double towing with to bumper pull units. First trailer must have brakes. Second must have brakes if over 3000 lbs. most states the first trailer must be a 5 th wheel. A gooseneck doesn't cut it.
Fred in Pa View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fred in Pa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2019 at 7:46am
Think about why more then 50% of bad accidents happen close to home ,   Accidents and stupid are 2 different things.
He who dies with the most toys is,
nonetheless ,still dead.
If all else fails ,Read all that is PRINTED.
Just because you do not have the tools for job , it dose not make it a bad design.
Radiant View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Radiant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2021 at 5:01am
I think that accidents happen because of our stupidity, so these 2 are pretty the same. I'm not a tractor driver but I guess that the rules are pretty the same. Before you want to start driving you have to check your vehicle, easy no?! Moving a trailer is not so easy that is why you have to be more careful. You know this reminds me of the accident that I had while moving to a new house. I lost all my furniture. I wanted to save some money and asked for help a cheap moving company for help. They had some problems with their car and as a result, they had an accident and destroyed everything that I had. Since then I learned how to move oversized furniture and do it by myself. Take care!

Edited by Radiant - 01 Feb 2021 at 1:38am
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2021 at 6:47am
reading this again and have another solution..
you haul tractor using your truck with your trailer..
a 'buddy' hauls the hay rake(or whatever implement) on HIS trailer behind HIS truck.
That way you get everything there and be haying while buddy drives back home.

everybody wins, everything's legal ,everyone's SAFE !

Jay
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2021 at 6:36pm
Drive the tractor to the site, with a mini-bike strapped to the back of whatever implement you're towing.  Ride the bike back to get the truck...Wink
Source: Babylon Bee. Sponsored by BRAWNDO, its got what you need!
john(MI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john(MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2021 at 8:32pm
If you decide to tow like you are proposing, you must do one of two things.  If you go over 25 mph you must remove your SMV placards. or if you leave them on you cannot exceed 25 mph.
D14, D17, 5020, 612H, CASE 446
SteveM C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2021 at 9:46pm
....and then there was the story about the guy who built a trailer with a live axle connected to his pto and once he got her going he engaged the pto and put tractor in neutral....ZOOM!!!
Dakota Dave View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dakota Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2021 at 11:38am
When my brother had to mow 1500 acres 80 miles away him and the farmer both drove tractors with 21' bat wing mowers and towed a ford ranger behind one of the mowers. They drove the truck back and forth and had a service tank in it. Took them 3 days but well compensated it was a forest service job.most farmers around here have a tow bar on at least one service truck and a hitch on the back of their implements. A lot of the fields we work are 20 miles from the farm so when we move to a differant set of field we leave the tractors and equipment there and drive a farm truck back and forth. We have service tanks in a couple trucks and fuel every day. The tractors start out with 400 gallons in tank when they leave the yard. A service tank only hold a hundered gallons so you can't let the tractor run out.

Edited by Dakota Dave - 30 Jan 2021 at 11:44am
matador View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote matador Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2021 at 11:13pm
Would a flatbed truck with ramps to put the tractor on, pulling the baler on a hitch, be an option? I don't know if you can find a good older truck to modify, but I'd think that could be a slick little setup. You'd be pulling the baler only, since the tractor would be chained down on the truck
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic