This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

My bad memory

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 200Tom1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: My bad memory
    Posted: 13 Jun 2019 at 9:07pm
A little help please guys. I've got several acres of oats I am going to cut for hay. I haven't had oat hay for years. It is just showing a few heads. When is a good time to cut it. Dang 70 year old memory doesn't work any better than the rest of me. Just a little alalfafa showing. Will probably cut it high. Thanks guys!
Sponsored Links

Ranse View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Ranse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2019 at 9:34pm
Cut the oats when the heads are in the dough is what I've been told. Not milky or dried hard, the heads need be doughy inside.
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2019 at 11:36pm
I've also heard what Ranse is saying, but we never could get it timed right and did it when it was early grain time. just tough nuff that the seed would stay on the stalk...well most of them anyway! wear a dust mask and long sleeves! try to get a little alfalfa in it too.
LeonR2013 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LeonR2013 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2019 at 8:10pm
Right Shameless. We always tried to bale it when it looked half dry and half green.
FREEDGUY View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2019 at 9:48pm
Around '84, I was part time help on a neighbors dairy farm. He mowed and baled 5'ish acres of oats  that summer that went into the "middle" of the mow with the remaining alfalfa cuttings stacked above. We got down to the oat hay mid-winter, and IF we could lift a bale that wasn't broken with chewed twine, it was literally black with running mice under it!! There was no more oat hay baled after that fiasco LOL!!
FREEDGUY View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2019 at 5:19pm
What happened with the " oat hay" ??
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic